Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: It just got put on the drawing board......
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:37 am 
Broodling

::The process leading to me wanting this creature::
So for a great long while (since the release of the recent rulebook) my splinter fleet has lied dormant (me also from here, took a day or so to catch up on what I missed). I became distracted with building another army but lately I am losing interest in it as I come close to getting it to where I want, and I am hearing again the call of the hive. The images of the Red Terror converted from the Trygon/Mawloc kit keeps flashing in my head with that awesome head design. As I thought about it, I decided I really want a bi-pedal 'nid with a very similar head get up. I decided this creature should be comparable to a Swarm Lord or Trygon (or somewhere in between). I wanted it to be just as monstrous as the Carnifex kits turned Swarm Lords, because all these neat walkers coming out (perhaps a Trygon kit to make it a little more dextrous looking perhaps a little more powerful). I would love it to stand toe-to-toe with demons and greater demons with focus on forcing instability and resisting psykers and psychic abilities. This creature now needs a purpose with which to be created....I thought its issues and relationships with the warp and warp related stuffs are a bit grey, lets have it be there to combat that stuffs.....Demons and Psykers..I like it!

::So here is what I am thinking so far. Nothing concrete still in general concept::
The Hive Tyrant stat line I feel is a great base. The same Special Rules and Psychic Powers. Here are the add-ons to make it unique.....
The Hive Mind Made Manifest ~~ Several creatures encountered within the race known as the Tyranids, the sheer force and will of the Hive Mind and its collected consciousness can be channeled through specific creatures to affect the very world around them. Whether it is blasts of energy, leeching of the very life essence of creatures, or invigorating lesser creatures to acts above and beyond their typical capabilities. As hive fleets continue to encounter warp sensitive races or even creatures spawned of the warp, the Hive has begun spawning more horrors capable of channeling even greater powers to compete with or even counter their prey's abilities.

-The effects of "Shadow in the Warp" and Synapse is extended another 6"

-Any non Tyranid psyker (includes any players next to you in your Apoc games ;-) ) within 12" attempting a psychic test will suffer a perils attack on ANY failed test ~~ The Hive Mind is actively trying to consume their essence, biomass and now even their minds.

-At the end of every assault phase, every unit within 6" with the instability special rule, roll a D6. On a 4+ the unit must immediately take an instability test. ~~ The shadow in the warp looms over nearly all beasts of the hive who actively direct the broods of creatures around them. Some, however, seem to be on the verge of not only being immune to the effects of the warp but even better capable of canceling any conjuration that relies on the warp for its existence in the material plane.

-Warp Quake: This is a psychic shooting attack that automatically hits all non Tyranid units with the Psyker and/or Instability special rules within 2D6". Psyker units whose mastery level is equal to or less must immediately pass a psychic test, those with Instability must immediately pass an instability test. ~~With a burst of just sheer will the caster creates a quick cavitation within the warp around itself. Those sensitive to the warp, either for their abilities or existence, feel the life-line to all these quickly leave them and rush back similar to waves which quickly try to pull your feet out from under you and then immediately brings a wave upon you just as it seems you would regain your footing.

-Psyker Mastery level: 2 - Any Tyranid unit with a model within 12" attempting to make a Deny the Witch roll can take the test as if 1 model has a mastery level of 1 in the unit. ~~The effects of the Warp in the material plane are difficult for most to even comprehend, much less harness. However the collective conscious of the Hive mind grants it a great advantage in studying the effects to great detail in terms of being on the receiving end of such abilities. As defending against such things are still difficult, The Hive is making leaps and bounds as a few creatures have been witnessed extending psychic protection to those under its direct influence.

**As I greatly enjoy a creature being so anti demon and anti psyker while possessing great abilities itself, it is really tough to stop giving it stuff and over complicating it. Not sure if I should be kind enough to give the 4+ die roll for the forced instability tests. The only things to add to special rules is to give it warp field, Eternal Warrior, and in terms of weapons giving it the Tyrant's options. This is where I am at the moment it's all just a rough idea. Some of them I came up with as writing this. Thoughts and ideas in terms of advancing this...in terms of either toning it down or tweaks etc. let me hear it!

My Splinter Fleet

Post subject: Re: It just got put on the drawing board......
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:15 pm 
Great Devourer

Good to hear you're fired up about tyranids again Tyrant385. :) I like the idea for this monster as tyranids really should be horrendous for psykers.
Quote:
.... it is really tough to stop giving it stuff and over complicating it.
Yep, that is the biggest and hardest hurdle when writing rules. :wink:

Giving the creature a points cost will be hard too, as she will murder psyker dependant armies, but gains little advantage on armies that have none. This is kind of where the 3rd ed Daemonhunters codex went is bit wrong. The grey knights in it had a lot of funky rules that made then great against daemons, and so they had a steep points cost. But then those special rules did nothing to aide them against non-daemon armies and they kept their higher points cost than they were really worth in his situation.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject: Re: It just got put on the drawing board......
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:47 pm 
Broodling

I forgot that in the 6" rule at the end of assault I want it to force more psychic tests.

As for the great against one type of army, you're absolutely right. Kind of why I want the beasty to be so heavily based on an existing model such as the Tyrant. Perhaps stream-lining and condensing the "Anti" abilities and and making it a Full on Tyrant upgrade similar to how the IG can replace their commander with Creed for an extra points cost to get his rules and stat changes. But again a point soak for specific army types is less appealing for competitive lists unless a game/campaign is geared for it. I'll see and work on it.....maybe something will click if I kick it around a bit.

My Splinter Fleet