Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Project Flyer (Beast of are own)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:47 am 
Broodling

Okay we have a Harpy, Flying Tyrant, Winged Warriors, Wing rippers, and good old Gar's. Now how about something of are own. this project may require a poll thing which I don't know how to do. But come on you wonderful thinkers let pull as one and make a fast hard hitting Flyer of are own! 1 for land like the others but 1 for the sky. In fact let's make it rule the sky like the Gar mother could have. But let's make this one even better. well start dreaming and writing Good Bye for Now and Remember this is only for fun I doubt anyone from GW will take it for real

Post subject: Re: Project Flyer (Beast of are own)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:40 am 
Broodling

Okay here is what I was thinking of for a base. WS5 BS4 S6 T6 I4 A3 LD10 SV4+ . This could be something to build on, the creature is monster size or larger. I was think of using the head area of the voidbeast from chaos warhammer. this monster flies into the enemy grabs it claws or scything talons and then eats the crew using that mouth. Oh yes and the maw is strong acid AP1. It can also spit the acid in a ball from then however the acid is reduced to AP3. well that's all for this week bye for now. (b~_^)b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:28 pm 
Monstrosity

The Harridan's pretty nasty as it is, especially with all the new Monstrous Flyer rules. But keep going - let's see what you come up with; the hive's always evolving. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 am 
Deathleaper

Not a new flyer per say but I'm hoping the new codex gives us a vector strike "Smash" Attack ability.

Let me explain.

I always envisioned a large Tyranid creature say a Winged Tyrant or a Harpy smashing into a flyer and latching on. This would effectively act much like a vector strike but additionally drag the other flyer down. Why wouldn't this be feasible? The extra weight placed on the flyer, the disruption of that flyer's regular aerodynamic flow, and the sheer brutality of the beast tearing away at the enemy flyer is far more realistic than my own flyer being "grounded" by a tau marker light "hit."

As the enemy flyer spirals downward and taking a much deserved "grounding" hit, the Tyranid would release and push upwards on its mighty wings to seek new prey. If the enemy flyer survives, they can resume function the next turn the same way a grounded monstrous creature would (assuming it survived the fall.) If simply wrecked and not destroyed, this would allow disembarking.

Anyone want to further elaborate on this and build on it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:19 pm 
Great Devourer

ProjectThanatos wrote:
Not a new flyer per say but I'm hoping the new codex gives us a vector strike "Smash" Attack ability.
...snip...
Anyone want to further elaborate on this and build on it?
I think that is a cool idea ProjectThanatos and it ties in with tyranids that the creatures themselves are resources to be expended if necessary. Grounding seems a bit harsh on flyers without a hover mode as this would destroy them outright. How about something like:
    Vector Smash! Tyranid flying monstrous creatures may vector strike (as per the special rule on pg43) or they may perform a more dangerous (to both the attacker and the defender!) vector strike. The tyranid flying monstrous creature may throw its whole body weight into the attack adding its whole body mass to it, and if necessary grappling with the target and pulling it to the ground.
    When a tyranid flying monstrous creature elects to perform a Vector Smash! it makes a vector strike but doubles its base strength up to a maximum of 10. If the target is destroyed or killed by this attack the tyranid flying monstrous creature is immediately grounded, and is moved back to where the target was. This type of attack can only be made against flyers or other flying monstrous creatures.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:40 pm 
Deathleaper

Hmm I like it. However since this does result in a roll on the Vehicle damage table, an immobilized roll would result in the Vehicle being grounded for a whole turn and susceptible to ground assaults. That would greatly enhance the cinematic feel of the game and really add an additional element to the strategy of fliers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:47 am 
Broodling

I like the attack ideal we could add a giant spike coming from the nose.(this way it could play in the air chicken) or maybe give the nose a super hard AC. We can also give it razor or saw like wing edge so it could fly pass an oppent and rip it open. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:40 am 
Hydraphant

Before the harpy was introduced into our book and before the fyler rules were writen in the rulebook, I mused about a flyer...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9670&start=60

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."