Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tyranid Codex: Dactylis
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:28 am 
The Red Terror

The Dactylis is a strange creature, sheathed in thick bony armour; its main distinctive features are the two enormous grasping claws sprouting from its back. Along with these arms, the Dactylis has a sphincter on its back that opens up into its body. Inside it cultivates disgusting creatures resembling mites, which will enter and exit the Dactylis’ body, carpeting its carapace, and the area immediately surrounding it.

A Dactylis’ wirey arms are wrapped in strong and flexible muscles. It will reach into its innards and plucks one of its symbiotic progeny like a ripe fruit, using its powerful tendons to create tension and lock its arms into positions. With a thunderous crack, the muscles relax, and slam forwards, lobbing the mite towards the front lines with devestating results.

Dactylis
Pts/model: 145
|WS: 3|BS: 3|S: 6|T: 6|W: 4|I: 1|A: 3|Ld: 8|Sv: 3+|

Bomb Mites
|WS: 1|BS: -|S: 1|T: 1|W: 1|I: 1|A: 1|Ld: 1|Sv: -|

Unit Composition:
  • 1 Dactylis

Unit Type:
  • Monstrous Creature

Force Organization Slot:
  • Heavy Support

Weapons and Biomorphs:
  • Bonded Exoskeleton
  • Scything Talons
  • Bomb Mite Thrower (Dactylis only)
  • Teeth and Claws (Bomb Mites only)

Special Rules:
  • Instinctive Behaviour – Lurk
  • Crushing Grasp
  • Living Bomb (Bomb Mites only)

Crushing Grasp: The limbs of a Dactylis are so powerful that all of its close combat attacks count as Rending attacks as detailed on page 42 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

Bomb Mite Thrower: The Dactylis cultivates specialized organisms resembling mites and lobs them at enemy positions, these mites will either burst on contact showering the enemy in caustic juices, or will land safely, only to attack the closest enemy in an act of reckless abandon.

Range: 62"
Strength: 6
AP: 4
Type: Assault 2, Barrage, Large Blast*

*If, after the final position of the each template in the barrage has been determined, and there are no enemy
models within 6” of the central hole, do not resolve the attack but instead place a Bomb Mite on the spot where each central hole would have landed. These then follow the rules for Bomb Mites detailed in the Living Bomb rule.

Living Bomb (Bomb Mite only): Each Bomb Mite model is treated as an individual unit. Bomb Mites are always ignored for the purpose of any and all mission objectives. Bomb Mites are not subject to Instinctive Behaviour, never go to ground (voluntarily or otherwise), run or fall back. At the beginning of the Tyranid Movement Phase, each Bomb Mite follows normal Infantry movement rules and can be moved in any direction the Tyranid Player chooses.

If a Bomb Mite suffers a wound or enters dangerous terrain it immediately explodes. Place the central hole of the large blast template over the Bomb Mite and resolve any hits at a Strength of 6 and an AP of 4. Bomb Mites may voluntarilly assault an enemy unit; if they lose the combat they will explode in the samer manner as listed above.

Yay! Sorry for the wall of text.

Dactylis - Pretty cool thing fluff-wise. I like how their muscles crack.

Bomb Mites - Basically a good anti-troop weapon or great for area denial.

I was really torn over having this as a supplement to the codex or as an apocalypse datasheet. Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Tyranid Codex: Dactylis
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:16 am 
Broodling

I think it works as an apocalypse datasheet, but I'm not an expert on these things.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:13 pm 
Biomass

Where did you find the info on this

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:00 pm 
Great Devourer

Hi Demon_Fox, welcome to the posting world of Warpshadow. I hope you enjoy the warm embrace of synapse. :D

Hive Node made up these rules as how he would represent the dactylis in games of 6th edition 40k. The dactylis is a war engine sized tyranid artillery piece in the Epic games, and there was a 40k scale version of it made too. Does that answer your question?

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:30 pm 
Biomass

So they are completely usable rules for a game of 40k? Is it an updated old codex page? and if so where can i fand the old page for proof so i can use it in a game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:23 pm 
Great Devourer

Demon_Fox wrote:
So they are completely usable rules for a game of 40k? ....
Not really. These are just some house rules that were put up for public comment as some of the models are out there and some cool conversions have been made. :wink:

The Dactyis was made under licence by an American company called Forgeworld (before the UK Games Workshop subsidiary Forge World started up). This was back in the days of 2nd edition 40k. Around the same time another American company, Armorcast made a bunch of other epic scale models in 40k scale including the tyranid beasts haruspex. malefactor and exocrine. The Armorcast ones all came with 40k rules but I don't know if the Dactylis did.

The most recent official rules for them were in the Tyranid Design Rules in White Dwarf 256, and that was only slightly more recent as that was in early 3rd edition. :P

Here are some of the photos of the beastie:
In epic scale
[Open in new window]

In 40k scale
[Open in new window]

And a conversion by Mr Pink to update the model concept
[Open in new window]

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:49 pm 
Biotitan

Hive Node: I like the concept. It's a longer range MC replacement for the Biovore, but I recommend a few changes for it.

1. The range is funky. It should be 60" or 72", in keeping with standard 12" increments. But I would alter it to also have a minimum range of 12" or 24". That way if it fails IB you can still lob things at the closest enemy unit that isn't right up in your grill. Fluffwise, it seems difficult to tone down the arm snap, so having a minimum range seems to fit.

2. The Bomb Mites should run for the nearest enemy non-vehicle model, period. Treating them like normal infantry doesn't ring true. They want flesh and they want it BAD. Also forcing them to charge the nearest enemy non-vehicle unit would be a good tweak.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:55 pm 
Harpy

Some thoughts...

* Rending claws: until they change the core rules again, I don't think these fill much of a function on MCs; you're already striking at AP2, S6 wounds everything on no worse than a 6+, and if you really want to hurt a heavy vehicle you'll do much better doing smash attacks at S10 with AVP rerolls than with the off chance of getting the +d3 on a '6'. Probably unnecessary.

* Bomb Mites: although I think the concept is interesting, it overlaps heavily with spore mines; if you're going to do that, its generally better to either incorporate the existing thing or adapt the existing thing to fit your new thing. Would you consider having the the "bomb mite" be something like a meotic spore sac (FW), where it hits at your proposed S6 AP4 large blast, but drops a deepstrike formation of d6 regular spore mines (S4 AP4) on a 6"+ miss.

* Costing: these guys are a direct comparison to broods of Biovores for role, field position, effectiveness, etc; they are anti-massed-infantry with some minor character-sniping (stupid 6e barrage rules) and anti-light vehicle capability. Would I rather have 135 points of biovores, or spend a bit more, lose one large blast, but get them all at +2S and fielded by a MC with more resilience, higher Ld (to resist Instinctive Behavior), better CC stats, etc? I know which one I would take. My only thoughts are to upcost the Dactylis (Biovores are costed very competitively for what they do IMHO) or change its role so it's not in direct competition.

Nice beasty! It was nice to see the Malefactor (Tervigon), Exocrine (Tyrannofex), and Haruspex (Tervigon w/ crushing claws?) make a come-back in the current codex, but the Dactylis was conspicuous in its absence.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:48 am 
Biomass

Just to clarify, this is for the interior of a Tyranid ship, not just for Tyranid terrain.
gclub ผ่านเว็บ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:15 am 
Little One

just a thought....

why not make it a mucolid spore launcher? functions exactly the same as a biovore's spore mine launcher, but fires mucolids instead... so S8 AP3 blast, generates a single mucolid instead of d3... that spore can assault after being generated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:28 am 
Not Loukang

Hello mates,

If the evolution pattern is respected, then like the Exocrine and Haruspex which downsized from Gargantuan to Monstrous creature, the Dactylis should also follow that trend. Being smaller in size, it seems odd that it would fire Mucolid which (when inflated) could barely fit in its belly. So having 2 weapons that fires spore mines cluster should be more "realistic".

Cheers,

Lak

PS: Winter is coming so I am back to hibernation;)