Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The current hive in color
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:13 pm 
Big One

I just got an awsome idea to show the awesomeness and diversity of our collected hive. Everyone able should post their army lists, I mean all of it (example, 4x hive tyrants- 5tervogins, 87xtermagaunts, 2x dominatrixes,ect). Posting picutures of the full broods if able. Afterwards we can post a slide show of all of the pics together with a complete count of the thousands of thousands of models we posses together.

I know we have a gallery but personally it doesn't appeal as much because it always the good artists that post pics. For example my units are not even painted except a few I naught second hand. And the list we can tally up to see just how big a combined effort we make.

Sounded like a cool idea. Anyone else think so?

Post subject: Re: The current hive in color
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:44 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I do, though I do think painted mini's only would make it look far better. Else it's just models taken out and glued, so to speak, and not the varied hive fleets from around the galaxy

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:10 pm 
Big One

True dat, Von.

This board's always- as far as I know- been an awful lot about the art; converted and painted model threads are common and the work often very amazing.
The level of artistry feels both impressive and intimidating, and makes me waver about posting up my own conversions- which I DO feel confident in- and my painted models- which I don't.

But that's OK: it also encourages me to try harder and actually paint my grey plastic, a mark of pride, and the way the minis are meant to be played. It's an honour to ever get any praise for my work from the likes of Von and Yale and Krewl and Hydra and Bugsculptor and so many more wonderful, talented individuals I can't possibly list them all, even on my lacklustre works.

I STILL have grey plastic lying around-- too much programming, not enough painting of late-- and I'd feel ashamed to include them in a 'this is my army' shot right here.
Even if if we were encouraged to post a picture of every single model we own, the sheer number of modellers and painters on the site all but guarantees that, after waves and waves of glorious technicolour, my unpainted things would stick out like a sore thumb-- an embarrassment to me.
No-one else here would chew me out or mock me or even comment on all the grey-- but I'd still feel personally ashamed in comparison to the godlike artists I have as peers! It's one thing to do a bad job; they can help me fix that- but to not try is just insulting!
On someplace like bolterandchainsword, I'd have no such compulsion. It's just here, and my perception of the culture here.

You know, just thinking about it tempts me to put down the keyboard and pick up the paintbrush ...

Edit: it seems all that coding has made me forget what a 'lot of typing' is. Sorry about the wall o' text.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:36 pm 
Big One

I haven't painted mine because I've been trying to assemble a army. Moneys tight and I haven't decided on an actual color scheme. Aside that a hand full are 2nd hand and are painted already.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:38 pm 
Big One

But if we could coax enough to make a slide show or such it would be pretty cool.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:10 pm 
Little One

I also think this is a nice idea - there are some lovely paint schemes knocking around that don't seem to see the light of day much as their owners haven't added to them in a while.

This'd be a nice way to give them an airing :) have

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:16 pm 
Big One

If you guys are still interested in trying this post the word around and ask for people to post their pics, painted or not. Ask them to include a count(20x hormagaunts, 8 carnifex, ect.) and their hive fleets. If theirs multiples with the same name add east, west, north, south and/or the players names. Like me and hive node both have hive fleet lamia but different colors and I'm from the east coast.

Then we find Somone that's wiling to make a slideshow of the united fronts. Itd make a pretty cool watch on the home page. :).

PS finally got most my army painted. And a Beautiful PoM conversion as my head HQ choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:29 pm 
Medium One

Instead of a slideshow of all the armies, why not the figurehead of everyone's armies? Personally, I hate my painting skills, and my army is rather small, but my Tyranid Prime is a conversion I'm incredibly proud of.

I do like the idea of listing how many models you have and then having a sort of "counter" on the home page.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:42 am 
Hormagaunt

Right now I have about 500 points base of models (mostly hormagaunts-- I LOVE HORMAGAUNTS!!) and have really only painted the hormies but the rest have been primed black so it may be a while before I will be ready to post anything

PS-I just learned how to do washes so I'm still practicing

Definition:
Hormagaunt-(hör-mā-gaw-nt) see Awesom-sauce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:00 am 
Hatchling

I would be very keen too

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:55 pm 
Little One

Seems like a good idea, provided that you manage to convince owners of the biggest hive fleets around here to take part in it aswell. We could even count the pure biomass of our forces combined.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:59 am 
Biomass

thanks for given us the chance for being the part of this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:43 pm 
Big One

cool idea!

what about two slide shows?
one for painted models
and one for unpainted stuff (just to show how big the swarm is)
probably this unpainted slide show could be done with black and white pics to give them a coherent look.

hrld

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:17 am 
Hatchling

Thats a nice idea, could be useful too for the revive (or the 3rd Edition Regeneration) of our currently "napping" board.
A first step may be thread like those, just showing some pics of our swarms (sorry if it exists already, there are just a few dedicated threads I browse normally).