Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Warpshadow Comp. 4- Behind the Fighting: Non-combatants
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:37 pm 
The Red Terror

Well you guys have 8 days, and it is not like this is an intensive modelling prospect.

Just take a break and build something cool for an hour or two. This is a free Trygon you could win!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:54 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

alright, because I'm busy making my new place capable of sustaining life forms of any kind, I didn't have much time for this competition, but I decided to enter anyway. Bad pic quality and unpainted, but that will all be explained. Behold, the Tyranicus Mandibuli!

[Open in new window]

Quote:
+++Magos Biologis report+++
Grand Magos Biologis Remulon,

Recent investigations into hive fleet Charybdis have uncovered an additional organism used in the later stages of Tyranid invasion. This creature, dubbed 'tyranicus Mandibuli' for its large mandibles, can be seen on the accompanying pic feed. Consistent with earlier attempts at recording organisms in a late state of Tyranid invasion, the pic quality is, sadly, very low. However, clearly can be seen that this xenos, not much larger than a ripper, has the usual three limb configuration common to Tyranid creatures, albeit that these limbs are very small in comparison to the rest of its body.
Of interesting observation is that the creature captured on the accomanying pic does not have the colors commonly associated with the hive fleet. As reports have been made of similar creatures with the associated colors, there are a few theories concerning the strange coloration of this beast. Some speculate that it was newly created and thus not yet 'hardened out' into its eventual colors. Others claim it may be covered in so much dust that the creature seems grey. These theories are of course follies, and it is my personal oppinion that this particular specimen may have some shared genetics with the Lictor species, specifically the chameleonic scales.
Note that the large claws at the from of the creature are actually jaws - this creature has mandibles almost as large as the entire rest of the creature. It is theorized by Magos Biologis Ludus that this creature uses these mandibles to chew through any structure that is too large and inefficient for minoris omniphagea (rippers in common nomenclature) to wholly consume step by step. Following the separation of the structure (which can be anything from support pillars in buildings to complete trees) from any solid ground, the tyranicus mandibulis carries or drags these items towards the closest digestion pool for reconstitution by the hive fleet. Surprising strength has been witnessed to be shown by these small creatures, carrying up to 50 times and even dragging up to 500 times their own estimated body weight towards the digestion pools.
These creatures seem to be devoid of any optical sensory apparatus, and thus are theorized to act on pheromone emissions of rippers locating structures too inefficient for them to chew up completely. Indeed, no tyranicus mandibuli has been spotted outside of areas previously or currently visited by the minoris omniphagea.
Though no high threat level comes from these creatures, the fact that the hive fleet has adepted to consume large structures more economically by dumping them directly into the digestion pools is a worrisome development. This hive fleet may consume planets faster, and thus advance faster, than it has before, giving us less and less time to prepare proper defenses.

+++Report by Magos Biologis Turenea+++

Edit: I kinda thought of an army ant idea and exaggerated it!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:00 pm 
Hydraphant

Quote:
Well you guys have 8 days, and it is not like this is an intensive modelling prospect.

Well you really gave me a wake up call :D
Thanks for that!

The torso of my beasty is amlost done... Now i just need to scratch the hips, legs head and arms... and the base the persons on the base and paint it.
Will be done in an hour ;)

haha... not really...

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:51 pm 
Little One

awww dang... hydra is in the competition. I'm not gonna get any votes now. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:09 am 
Great Devourer

Drakis wrote:
awww dang... hydra is in the competition. I'm not gonna get any votes now. :P

Heh. I know how you feel mate. I haven't even voted for myself in the last 3 warpshadow competitions I've entered. :P I figure that making the effort and building the community is reason enough to enter. :wink:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:24 am 

I second that Yale! Just entering to build the community is a lofty goal!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:08 am 
Little One

i know, i was just joking around. hence then :P

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:54 pm 
Tyranid Squig!

Seeing Hydra's work always inspires me to improve my own work, and these competitions seem to motivate him to churn out new conversions.

I often want to go back and start afresh with all new models and a new color scheme, when I look back and see that I've gotten better at something than I used to be, or see differing paint schemes really well done.

See my Gallery Here.
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetWormwood/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:45 pm 
Little One

i know how that is. one of the reasons my terv is turning out so good is cause i saw what others did and how it turned out. what i liked and didnt like.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:30 am 
Medium One

Looking at others ideas lets you mix your ideas with theirs to get one marvelous idea.

I'm not sure if I will enter. I would like to but I had no time to do anything to my model. I have all the pieces and I know where to put them but I still need to glue them and then put it on a base which I think I don't have with me. I'll try to get started on it later today and then post it tomorrow or the day after that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:33 am 
Monstrosity

Here´s mine. It´s called an Inflecteuthis:

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Shoals of these creatures rove across the exterior of the larger Hive Ships in the Tyranid Fleet, picking off any small parasites or debris that may have hitched a ride on their charge. Thay have also been known to swarm around battle wounds and create a living shield with their shells, as well as tenderly eating the dead, charred flesh away from the wound so as to promote healing. It would also appear as if the Inflecteuthis can warn it's Hive Ship of approaching spaceborne threats, and even of approaching warp entities.

http://warhammer40kcreator.googlepages.com

"Joey doesn't share food!!!!!!!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:14 pm 
Little One

i PM'd my entry to hive node... should i repost it here with the fluff like everyone else? or leave it as a surprise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:07 am 
Big One

hi out there,

first i thought that i will skip this contest because i´am deeply hidden in some bigger projects at the moment. but thanks to hivenodes little post i decided to enter. yesterday late afternoon while relaxing on a lakeshore i thought about some good fluff, then i built the model in some mad hours at night and will paint it this night to get it ready till closing of the com.

fun projects are cool, even if done in last minute.

harald

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:27 pm 
Medium One

Afraid I can't enter the contest. After putting everything together and looking for flaws I realized I didn't have a camera... my last two cameras broke (not my fault) and I don't have one anymore. Sorry. But good luck to everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:53 pm 

Yay Harald!

and aww shucks broodmaster...

Hive Fleet Charybdis

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next