Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What contest theme would you like to do?
Ghosts of the Brood II: The Swarmlord 16%  16%  [ 11 ]
Ghosts of the Brood II: Doom of Malan'tai 31%  31%  [ 21 ]
Non-combatants 31%  31%  [ 21 ]
Tyrannofex 21%  21%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 67
 Post subject: Re: Survival of the Fittest: Warpshadow Competition 4
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:15 pm 
Medium One

I'm up for a GC painting contest in the future. It'd motivate me to finish painting my Scratch Built Hierophant.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:56 pm 
Trygon

Summer would be better as everyone is free from school as I think a fair amount of members here are still students.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:03 pm 
Medium One

mewiththeface wrote:
Summer would be better as everyone is free from school as I think a fair amount of members here are still students.

Alas, school maintains its greedy clutches upon me even in the throes of blistering summer. Aye, she's a demanding mistress.

Hive Mind Success record: W:7 L:9 D:2
Eat Termagants, Bloody Avatar!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:11 pm 
Little One

Saw this on the home page but which are we doing now?
Cause I haven't seen a definitive winner.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:53 am 
The Red Terror

I'll choose a winner before the 1st, and the results will be posted here, in the contest opening, and on the front page of warpshadow.

For the time being there hasn't been a winner yet

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:25 am 
Big One

Hive Node wrote:
I'll choose a winner before the 1st, and the results will be posted here, in the contest opening, and on the front page of warpshadow.

For the time being there hasn't been a winner yet

Perhaps we can form a coalition? :3

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:04 pm 
Hatchling

The non-combatant seems as though it will indeed be thee most free flowing as no one can point and say that doesn’t look like the pic. I figured in these days where you see more count as armies then ever that this wouldn't be the case but i can see the other peoples point. I think the most extreme I seen was a wonderful Ork army that he counted as Guard it was amazing in all aspects. I would just love to see the imagination of everyone run wild as the no limit to what you can do with the opinion of non-combatant.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:28 pm 
Little One

TYRANNOFEX!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:25 pm 
Hatchling

I voted for the Doom because even though there's a picture of him, the description is broad enough that you could go crazy with it. I was a bit underwhelmed by the picture.

Why not pick a Tyranid Prime? It's a useful model, not a niche and could be made with stuff every nid player has lying around. Plus that gives us plenty of freedom in his options.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:06 pm 
Hatchling

i voted DOOM! though i think the "non-combatants" idea is a great and original one for sometime in the future. for now, we should be converting units we can use to ZOMG CRAZY BRAIN RAYS ZAP TEH ENEMY!

Go DOOMIE!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:28 am 
Great Devourer

When thinking about voting guys it is worth remembering the usual contest rules. (Of course they can be changed or exceptions made!)

Normally we only count models started after after the competition start date. (Or at least not shown on warpshadow before then.) So if one of the popular choices wins this vote and becomes the next SotF contest, existing models would be precluded from entering. That may or may not change how you vote. :wink:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:32 pm 
Medium One

Yaleling wrote:
When thinking about voting guys it is worth remembering the usual contest rules. (Of course they can be changed or exceptions made!)

Normally we only count models started after after the competition start date. (Or at least not shown on warpshadow before then.) So if one of the popular choices wins this vote and becomes the next SotF contest, existing models would be precluded from entering. That may or may not change how you vote. :wink:

Which means I can included my Swarmlord, Doom, or other models that I`m in the middle of convertin and painting?

Hive Mind Success record: W:7 L:9 D:2
Eat Termagants, Bloody Avatar!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:04 pm 
Broodling

I vote non-combatants if it means i get to enter my newly finished Tervigon, took a couple weeks but it's finally done, i'll have pictures in my album soon :)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:21 pm 
Screamer Killer

Pretty sure a Tervigon would fall under the role of "combatant." It's in the codex, after all.
Also, you just missed the Tervigon contest: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13305

A non-combatant would be something like a giant ripper made for consuming biomass, or a tunnelling creature (not a Mawloc), or some kind of walking reclamation pool, or ripper-like organisms that are used to weave sticky webs that trap larger prey, or maybe a non-combatant could be some kind of Tyranid structure.

Long story short, I view a non-combatant as a creature not currently in the codex that plays more of a supportive role in the Tyranid infestation. It's a pretty broad theme that could afford some really interesting entries. Most interesting of all would be Hive Node's suggestion that you write a brief blurb about your non-combatant and the role it plays in the swarm.

I think we need to make a decision on whether or not members can submit models completed before the contest was announced. Yale says nay, Hivenode says yay. Personally, I'd vote for allowing already completed models to enter, but that is in the interest of getting more entries/not forcing members to duplicate creatures like the Swarm Tyrant and the Doom. That being said, even members who have already made these creatures may take the contest as inspiration to make newer, better versions.

I'm also a fan of these more specific contests, rather than "let's make a warrior!", particularly when it comes to things like the Tervigon, Tyrannofex, Swarmlord, Parasite, Doom, etc. These are models that we don't have defined concepts for, which allows artist the greatest range of creativity. What's more, it means we have that many more interpretations of the creatures to draw on when we eventually decided to make our own.

And I'm throwing my hat in with Tyranid Primes as the next contest subject.

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:13 pm 
Medium One

Yaleling wrote:

HOLD IT! *Slams a desk*

The winning Tervigon was started before the contest and shown in detail before the contest as well.

Last edited by Red Comet Tyrant on Tue May 25, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next