So instead of one month going "Mawlocs!" and then next month going "Carnifex Painting Competition!", and then the next month going "HARPIES!", it'll instead go "Monstrous Creatures 1", "Monstrous Creatures 2", Monstrous Creatures 3", see what I mean?
I don't see the problem with that. If we had monthly competitions there might have been, but as of now we have one every 3-4 months. Add in the other categories i mentioned and there would never have to be a "Monstrous creature" contest more than every 1.5-2 years or so.
As for the competition now, it leaves me out. Why? Since I'm going to be unemployed without an income during the summer I can't afford to buy anything more than the first 1500pts of model I'm currently putting together. I haven't planned on including any of the 4 alternatives so I can't enter.
Now if the category was "Monstrous Creature" I could enter my Harpy or my Mawloc (not my Tervigon since it was in the Tervigon contest already, lol). If it was "Warrior Size" I could enter my Hive Guard or my Tyranid Prime. If it was "Flier" or "Fast Attack" I could enter my Harpy. Etc. (I could do this all day).
Not just whining here, but trying to make a point, since I doubt I'm not the only one in a situation like this.
1) the whole hivemind will work in unison to create one specific model, but with all the many variation of different nornqueens breeding it.
2) it makes the jugding of the contest easier, because you "only"(juding models is never easy) have to compare different ways of building a specific model.
just think for an open competion where someone enters a warriorsized noncombatant and somebody else a complete hiveship.....
3) even if you don´t want to field a model in your army, you can add it to your collection for the sake of having it. and if you want to use it, you dont have to proxy it. you can even use it as a mission marker if you want (oh yes, a terrorfex might be a good mission maker...)
1. Imo, the last competition we ended up with models that just looked the same. Not saying they weren't a lot of beautiful models there, I just don't think that anyone of them "popped".
2. You pick the one that best suits the theme, how hard can it be? Also: Even the "open" categories wouldn't allow for a Hive ship and a warrior-sized creature both to be entered.
3. All of us don't have the time/money for this but would still like to compete.
Nor do I think there is an official picture of a Swarmlord.
See the big guy with 4 swords next to the Swarmlord entry in the codex? Any idea who it could be?