Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What contest theme would you like to do?
Ghosts of the Brood II: The Swarmlord 16%  16%  [ 11 ]
Ghosts of the Brood II: Doom of Malan'tai 31%  31%  [ 21 ]
Non-combatants 31%  31%  [ 21 ]
Tyrannofex 21%  21%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 67
 Post subject: Re: Survival of the Fittest: Warpshadow Competition 4
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:50 am 
Medium One

Harald makes good points. IMO you want to make the requirements specific some everyone is shooting for the same goal and expectations are known.

Though that doesn't rule out wide spreading contests (small ones, warrior sized, MCs), but limit the depth, for example, certain themes, poses, situations, etc.

I'd also really like to see a Tyrannofex. There aren't a lot of good ones out there.

Hive Mind Success record: W:7 L:9 D:2
Eat Termagants, Bloody Avatar!

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:55 am 
Hatchling

Quote:
So instead of one month going "Mawlocs!" and then next month going "Carnifex Painting Competition!", and then the next month going "HARPIES!", it'll instead go "Monstrous Creatures 1", "Monstrous Creatures 2", Monstrous Creatures 3", see what I mean?

I don't see the problem with that. If we had monthly competitions there might have been, but as of now we have one every 3-4 months. Add in the other categories i mentioned and there would never have to be a "Monstrous creature" contest more than every 1.5-2 years or so.

As for the competition now, it leaves me out. Why? Since I'm going to be unemployed without an income during the summer I can't afford to buy anything more than the first 1500pts of model I'm currently putting together. I haven't planned on including any of the 4 alternatives so I can't enter.

Now if the category was "Monstrous Creature" I could enter my Harpy or my Mawloc (not my Tervigon since it was in the Tervigon contest already, lol). If it was "Warrior Size" I could enter my Hive Guard or my Tyranid Prime. If it was "Flier" or "Fast Attack" I could enter my Harpy. Etc. (I could do this all day).

Not just whining here, but trying to make a point, since I doubt I'm not the only one in a situation like this.

Quote:
1) the whole hivemind will work in unison to create one specific model, but with all the many variation of different nornqueens breeding it.
2) it makes the jugding of the contest easier, because you "only"(juding models is never easy) have to compare different ways of building a specific model.
just think for an open competion where someone enters a warriorsized noncombatant and somebody else a complete hiveship.....
3) even if you don´t want to field a model in your army, you can add it to your collection for the sake of having it. and if you want to use it, you dont have to proxy it. you can even use it as a mission marker if you want (oh yes, a terrorfex might be a good mission maker...)

1. Imo, the last competition we ended up with models that just looked the same. Not saying they weren't a lot of beautiful models there, I just don't think that anyone of them "popped".
2. You pick the one that best suits the theme, how hard can it be? Also: Even the "open" categories wouldn't allow for a Hive ship and a warrior-sized creature both to be entered.
3. All of us don't have the time/money for this but would still like to compete.

Quote:
Nor do I think there is an official picture of a Swarmlord.

See the big guy with 4 swords next to the Swarmlord entry in the codex? Any idea who it could be? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:50 pm 
Medium One

Quote:

Quote:
See the big guy with 4 swords next to the Swarmlord entry in the codex? Any idea who it could be? :wink:

Oh Im sorry I just thought that that was a steriotypical Swarmlord and that not all of them had to be the same! Sorry for thinking that people could be creative and make their own opinion of what a different Swarmlord would look like. My bad.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:19 pm 
Broodling

Broodmaster wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Oh Im sorry I just thought that that was a steriotypical Swarmlord and that not all of them had to be the same! Sorry for thinking that people could be creative and make their own opinion of what a different Swarmlord would look like. My bad.

I don't see the need for there to be any condescending comments. But I see the point that was being made. The same point that you made about pictures discrediting the Doom can be used to discredit the Swarmlord as a valid choice. They both have concept art in the codex, and they're both based on previous models as well.

[edit] typos annoy me

Last edited by Cedonuli on Tue May 18, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:27 pm 
Medium One

Cedonuli wrote:
Broodmaster wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I don't see the need for there to be any condescending comments. But I see the point that was being made. The same point that you made about pictures discrediting the Doom can be used to discredit the Swarmlord as a valid choice. They both have concept are in the codex, they're both based on previous models as well.

Oh, right. I see your point. The only thing I have against the Doom is that it has the same structure for each one wheres the Swarmlord might not. But I understand what your saying. Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:41 am 
Big One

i wouldn´t mind to do a tyranidprime contest aswell. mine is already finished.....

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:32 pm 
Trygon

What about a that massive reaver sized trygon? Trygophant? Someone could right up apoc rules and I already have a vision for one, all I need is baking clay and I'll probably start on one.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:34 pm 
Little One

I didn't vote. For one, what is no combant? For the other, I have no money to buy the stuff to make. I have a mawloc put together and not painted. I would love to enter that, but alas no option for that.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:21 pm 
The Red Terror

Non-combatants was an idea that was suggested a long while ago. Basically members invent and build a Tyranid creature that fulfills a role in the Tyranid superorganism, be it cleaning ships of parasites, or organisms that help with digesting a world.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:24 pm 
Little One

Thanks Hive Node. So it would have to be all made up. Is it just the mini or rules as well using the creature feature?

Sorry off topic, but just curious. Since Heavy Support Games is supplying the prize, how many people are close to the store? Maybe we can get together for a game. It's a good store, bought some of my stuff there, been ages since I been there last. Would like to go again and maybe meet up with some warpshadow memebers if any live close by.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:52 pm 
The Red Terror

Well if we end up doing the non-combatants, I'd like to see a model, and a paragraph description of it's role/s, etc.

How many HSG stores are there?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:58 pm 
Little One

Just the one in Toronto that I know of, and their web site. I don't think there are any other HSG stores anymore. I went into the store thinking I would be spending about $100 tops, he gave me such good deal, I left spending $200. Space hulk for $90 and a few DA stuff and some supplies. He also has gaming tables in the store.

Give me some ideas if we are going to do the non combative stuff since right now my mind is a blank. Hopefully it will be something I can take part. If not, now that I now there are contests I will take part in the next one then. I have been here for so long and I didn't know we had contests. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:59 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

Davor wrote:
I didn't vote. For one, what is no combant? For the other, I have no money to buy the stuff to make. I have a mawloc put together and not painted. I would love to enter that, but alas no option for that.

Maybe next time? who knows

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:40 pm 
Trygon

mewiththeface wrote:
What about a that massive reaver sized trygon? Trygophant? Someone could right up apoc rules and I already have a vision for one, all I need is baking clay and I'll probably start on one.

On another thing I said, This would be great as it required 100% hobby talent. Since it will be mostly too 100% scratch, it will require lots of sculpting talent and painting if people get around to it.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:21 pm 
The Red Terror

The problem I have with doing Gargantuan creatures is the amount of time that have to be put into them, and the materials needed.

If we were ever to do a contest like that, it'd be more of a year end thing, with more than a month to sculpt.

Other than that, I'd be open to a Gargantuan creature painting competition.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next