Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:08 pm 
Medium One

The numbers are starting to rise....
Excellent!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:25 pm 
Hormagaunt

Okay we still don't have quite enough people yet, nor a definite theme, so I think we should push the deadline a little further. Say, til the beginning of April.

Please people, if you're interested sign up, and lets come to some kind of consensus.

GT out. 8-)

-- New Abortion, Slipknot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:28 pm 
Doom of Malan'tai

Yay, extention, I forgot about this :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:33 pm 
Medium One

Extension is probably a good thing.

Started work on mine. Already written almost a page (in my BIG handwriting) and I still need to do some nid POV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:57 am 
Little One

Where do we send these stories once they are finished? I'm not done, but I just want to know for future reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:03 am 
Great Devourer

Guys, if you want to run a warpshadow competition you might want to talk to the gestalt about it first... :wink: Just to make it all official like. :P

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:24 pm 
Biotitan

I was waiting for the official start before I begun. I suppose I should start, then. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:21 am 
Medium One

I second David the Despoiler's question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:10 pm 
Big One

Is this thing still going on? I've got a piece I'm working on, but all I know is that the due date is early April and that it should be about something. Also, where do we submit the writing? Right here on the competition topic?

GreatestThreat invited me to this thing and I PMed him about it, but I haven't heard back. Does anyone else have any news?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:16 pm 
Big One

Actually, nevermind official business. I have an entry prepared, and it is as thus!

Here is the story - it's about 1,200 words. It is about trying to live on a doomed planet:

The night was dark, and the streetlights were on, save those several flickering few that needed maintenance. Beneath the roofs of the innumerous towers, human beings lived out their complicated lives; warring over who takes out the garbage, cleaning the apartment, where had you been last night? Why do you have to have so many male friends? Why don’t you let me do what I want? Why does my work pay me so little? Fighting about fighting, biting down and brawling it out about who started the fights and who was most responsible. Day in and day out, scrambling to be on top, to survive, and to be the fittest member of a cooperative society where everyone is equal in the eyes of the Emperor.

And in the gray of the evening, there lay Ralph, an Imperial Guard – the Emperor’s finest – on top of one of the towers. He had pulled his knapsack up close to his head and was spread out against a ventilation unit. His friend Gary was curled forward in a sitting fetal position on top of the unit, suffering from intestinal cramps. Somewhere deep inside him, microscopic entities were warring over occupation of his epithelial lining, territory which Ralph rather suspected was of vast strategic importance. The other men were spread across the roof in various positions similar to Ralph’s, and a few others were like Gary.

They were supposed to be keeping on eye on the landing pad here, but not a lot of Valkyries were flying on a night like this, so instead the men watched the formless clouds drifting overhead in the night and strained to make out shapes. “That one looks like a duck, I guess,” said Ralph, pointing at one of the amorphous blobs in the stratosphere.

The other men strained to see it, but couldn’t make a similar distinction. In truth, Ralph couldn’t really see the duck either, but nobody had said a word for maybe an hour now, and the shapes they were actually looking for probably weren’t coming. Mathew, who lacked imagination and was still searching the clouds for the form of an evac ship, said, “I don’t see it.”

Gary angled his hunched body upwards a bit with the help of his elbows to make an effort to look at the sky, but then fell forward again with a grunt. “Yeah,” he said, and then made several wet coughs into his hands, “It all looks like a ton of Emperor-be-damned alien spores to me. Which one do you think is a duck?”

Ralph sighed, and Gary wiped blood on his uniform. Then the men redoubled into silence again. Each and every one was feeling sorry for himself in a different way and for different reasons. Just several months ago they had been part of the pride of the Imperium. Their sergeant had used his thighs to nearly strangle a man to death for borrowing string from his squad without asking, an event which made everyone laugh and send stories home to their families. But that same sergeant had been carried away in a body bag a week ago, his lungs blackened and his airways constricted by disease.

Ralph felt sorry for himself because he wasn’t sure what he was doing with his life anymore. He didn’t know where anybody was, except for the guys here in front of him. This was partially true because he’d been moving all over the planet to keep up with the demands of the war, but it was also so because the nightmares of every child under the age of six had become a stark and obtrusive reality. Monsters now prowled the cities during all hours of the day, but especially at night, and were capable of scaling sheer walls to reach people’s bedrooms.

A man might come home one evening to find a window smashed in but nothing stolen save the most precious commodities available to a person. It was never poetic or cinematic, either, the evidence of the attacks. The man wouldn’t just observe that his wife were missing as if stolen away by some assailant with ulterior motives, but rather he would find pieces of her laying about the living room where she had been ambushed. Perhaps the same man might come home and catch a creature in mid attack. He might scare it away with a firearm or it might leave by its own accord, but when they struck they killed instantly, and left behind may be his nine year-old son with chest splayed open, lungs inflated disgustingly beyond the pleural cavity.

Worse still was that the creatures may attack the same location multiple times, returning again and again to what had been discovered to be ample feeding grounds. As a result, a family that lost one member would lose another the following night if they didn’t abandon their home immediately, leaving little opportunity to pack. Slums were growing in density, and illness ran even more rampant as a result of overcrowding. People with nothing now had less, and having been cut off from the agri planets starvation was becoming a major problem. Ammunition was low, stomachs were bereft of nutrition but full of unthinkably vicious Tyranid parasites, homes weren’t safe, and contact beyond the most fortified cities was impossible.

Yet even within the fortified cities details were sketchy. A number of reports insisted that the onslaught had abated. Withdrawn to their defensible bastions, the Guard had managed to hold off the threat of invasion. However, everyone in the Guard knew that the Tyranids had already invaded and conquered their positions. The evidence was ample, and to hope that the enemy was doing anything short of gorging itself while it waited for their human adversaries to simply fail was of the utmost fanciful thinking.

At that moment, Gary’s body declared surrender as he cried out in pain and evacuated his bowels. What was happening inside him was anybody’s guess, but Ralph jumped to his feet and pulled his knapsack hurriedly away from where he was sitting. Gary fell sideways off of the ventilation unit onto where Ralph had been laying and began to convulse. Ralph took two steps further back out of instinctive fear, and the rest of the men looked on in helpless horror as they watched their friend become overrun by the horrible invaders. Somebody stepped forward and tried to toss a blanket over Gary’s body, but the wind caught it and the cover left Gary’s upper half exposed.

When the convulsions stopped, Ralph felt the strength of his legs leave him, and he slumped back into a sitting position with a painful thud. He felt sick to his stomach as he thought about all the eggs that were probably already inside Gary. These days, disease carrying insects laid eggs in the dead, and parasites laid eggs in the living. There were eggs in the food, and eggs on everyone’s clothing. They’d spray them down, but the next day there’d be more eggs again, and this time the eggs would be immune to the pesticides. There were practically eggs in the soul.

Ralph put his face to his hands. What was he doing with his life? He was dying! He was once a member of the Emperor’s finest, but now, he thought, he was food. He was probably so full of Tyranids that he probably was more Tyranid than human anymore. They didn’t have to attack the city; they were winning just by being here! They were like a virus: each time they died, each time somebody declared exterminatus, some survived, and those that survived didn’t just reproduce. They learned. They weren’t going to fight. The Guard on this planet could fight back. These Tyranids had learned about something called “morale.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:17 am 
Big One

Well, I suppose the lack of acknowledgement of my actions here explain why this whole writing competition thing dried up?

I'll uh... Well, I'll just declare myself the winner then, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:54 pm 
Big One

It certainly seems that way. I don't think that everyone has enough creative writing juices to put forth the effort. That said I think you described the feelings a normal Guardsmen would have in a situation like this very well. I was working on a pair of larger stories but never got past Inspiration 6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:55 pm 
Medium One

Yeah, I say that CapnWellpoint wins. I couldn't think of how to finish off my story anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:42 pm 
Big One

I'm just trying to work out a little bit in the middle. Cap wins, but more tales of the Tyranid's destruction is coming.

Post subject: Re: When is the last time we had a fiction competition in here?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 pm 
Deathgaunt

Guys, if we're going to do a serious competition, I think the gestalt needs to be involved in some way, and an official contest needs to be formulated- while I think this thread was fun to read and it was great to see everyone's enthusiasm for fiction, simply claiming a deadline and then having only one person post, and then subsequently claiming himself the winner goes to show that making an official competition (like the last one we had, which was a blast to write for, as well as to read the other posts!) is in the best interest of those of us who fancy themselves as writers.

That being said, Hive Node, what do you think the odds are of formulating another writing competition now that the tervigon comp is over with? I'd love a chance to defend my honor again :)

Neutrophile out

8th edition Warhammer Fantasy:
Warriors of Chaos: 13-4
Lizardmen: 6-2

7th edition Warhammer 40k
Dark Eldar/Eldar Allies: 4-1
Tyranids: 3-1