Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: When is the last time we had a fiction competition in here?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:43 pm 
Hormagaunt

I for one would love nothing better than to take on all challengers in a test of wordplay and gribbly prose. If there's one thing I enjoy almost as much as writing, it's reading other's material, and competitors are always welcome for me.

So how about we throw around some ideas as to the theme, and at the same time we'll see how many people are interested in doing this or not. It'll be a fresh break for me from the other Tyranid writing projects I'm involved in at the moment.

Which brings me to my next point - if you're following my 'Tasty' series on the Fiction board, don't worry I'm still hard at work on that. My posting rate has slowed down to more like 2-3 a week than one plus a day, but I have no intention of letting it die out. Perhaps this contest will be the jumpstart I need to stop being so lazy again :roll: .

My last concern is, I don't know how many other competitions are going on/about to get started at the present, but the great thing about writing short stories is it doesn't really get in the way of the other facets of the hobby. I know I usually still have plenty of time to paint and play campaigns at the local gamestore, so hopefully we can fit this one in with any others that might be in the works right now.

Anyways, discuss.

-- New Abortion, Slipknot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:56 am 
Great Devourer

From memory there was talk of a tyranid fiction competition back before I became an active member on the board. I cannot remember if it actually took place, or it was just talked about.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:31 am 
Medium One

I'm in. Finally, a chance to write TVP fiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:55 pm 
Hormagaunt

Yaleling wrote:
From memory there was talk of a tyranid fiction competition back before I became an active member on the board. I cannot remember if it actually took place, or it was just talked about.

Oh, I know for a fact there have been at least two of them done in the past. The Spook contest (lictor fiction of course) and Larger Than Life (which I think was a hybrid competition with not only fiction but also modelling and conversion entries as well).

Now who's got some ideas in their head for the theme/rules? It can't just be any old Tyranid story, we need some parameters to work in if it's going to be a judged competition. Oh and of course we'll need a couple of volunteers to be the judges as well, unless we're going to pick winners purely on popular vote in a poll.

Once we get maybe 6-8 people interested let's also decide on a beginning and closing date. I would kind of like to get started on this, so I'm putting forth March 10th as a tentative deadline, but if that's too soon for anyone, speak up - nothing is set in stone and I don't want people to feel rushed. Writing comes out best when you take your time and go over it with several passes of edits and revisions. I have no problem extending the time limit if newcomers would like to join partway through as well.

Now, here are my personal suggestions for some rules and guidelines to stick by while we come up with the theme:
    No lictor stuff, please. I'm practically seeing these buggers in my sleep right now :shock: , and it's already been done before. That last line also goes for gargantuan creatures as well, so those are out.

No genestealer cult bits. Space Hulk is okay, but I would prefer something a little more imaginative.

Original content only, please don't submit anything that you have written prior to the start of the competition (unless you've never posted it before, in which case we wouldn't be able to prove it's not original anyway :roll: )

Lastly, I would like to see stories of decent length. Say around 1,500 words. That's just my preference though, feel free to adhere to this particular guideline very loosely for the time being, until we get some feedback and see what other people want to do.

A few final thoughts: I happened to recieve a request via PM to write some scenes with Tyranid Warriors, since they are so rarely featured in the fluff even though they're supposed to be integral to a Tyranid swarm. I have as a matter of fact always been of a similar opinion, and included them to a great degree in my novel, because they certainly deserve more attention. However, because it's likely going to be awhile before I'm ready to get published, I felt that this might be the place where I could share some of that with the Warpshadow community.

So in summary, I'd like to nominate Warriors as the theme of this fiction competition. I look forward to seeing what other ideas you guys have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:49 pm 
Little One

I'd honestly be very interested in this. But must this be from the point of view of the nids? And I'd be more then happy to feature the Warriors as an integral part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:14 pm 
Hormagaunt

Whether the story must be done from a Tyranid point-of-view or not is one of the details we need to figure out, among other things. Don't assume whatever I say, goes, please not at all. :) Anyone who is going to take part in the competition has a say in what the requirements are, and whatever the group agrees upon is what we'll do.

So far we have three people interested, including myself. Any more takers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:53 pm 
Biotitan

I may be interested, though I would have to read some fluff to get the gist of how it's presented. I would count me as half an entrant for this reason, as I may balk after comparing the fluff style to what I'm comfortable doing and mitigating this against time constraints with other projects... such as, oh, I don't know, finishing putting my army together. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:00 pm 
Medium One

I like the idea of writing some stuff about warriors. They need some love.

Maybe you shouldn't fix the viewpoint so people can write either oppositon viewpoint, nid viewpoint or a mix.

Maybe extend your tentative deadline to say the 15th?
I am a student after all. Even homework has to be done sometime....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:26 am 
The Red Terror

I disagree with the lack of Genstealer cults, I personally feel they would be one of the easiest tyranids to write about.

The thing that makes them dull is reading story after story about them infecting human habitations.

Either way, depending on the date it ends i'd be more than happy to write or judge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:35 am 
Hive Tyrant

Genestealer Invasions... ON DIFFRENT SPIECES NO HUMANS! :D I could run it cause I wouldn't be biased (since I won't/shouldn't write one :lol: )

and/or Little Know Nids no this will not be about rippers, unless you want too :wink: . You would write about little know nids Zoans, Biovores, rippers, Dominatrix, norn queens, other bio titans, ect... I'd need help cause i haven't had the chance to read much tyranid literature.

Whatcha think? This will allow for more then one contest with out stories getting repetitive (hopefully).

Termagant: A stock character, replaceable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:11 am 
Hormagaunt

Swarbie wrote:
I like the idea of writing some stuff about warriors. They need some love.

Maybe you shouldn't fix the viewpoint so people can write either oppositon viewpoint, nid viewpoint or a mix.

Maybe extend your tentative deadline to say the 15th?
I am a student after all. Even homework has to be done sometime....

Well although it may shock people -- I'm a student myself. Seriously, I just turned seventeen today. Happy birthday to me. 8-) Besides the obvious reasons like the fact that I genuinely enjoy writing for an audience, I started the Tasty 'Nid Fiction series on the other board as a creative means of 'flipping off' my guidance counselor, as it were, who doesn't believe I have what it takes to be a successful writer if I don't finish high school.

There goes that theory, and I'd like to thank you all for your help and your continued support. My career is just getting started, so my readers will have plenty to look forward to over the coming years.

Anyway, my point is I know what you mean about the homework load, so I will gladly extend the deadline.

I also think not fixing the viewpont is a good idea, to help bring some more variety to the stories.

Quote:
I disagree with the lack of Genstealer cults, I personally feel they would be one of the easiest tyranids to write about.

The thing that makes them dull is reading story after story about them infecting human habitations.

Either way, depending on the date it ends i'd be more than happy to write or judge.

If enough people want to do genestealer cult stories then I guess I have no choice but to go along with it. I just happen to like undiluted alien nastiness better, not to malign the creepy cult aspect in any way, but that's more of an Inquisitor type scenario and I enjoy large-scale conflict just as much as insidious infestations. My one condition would be that we use withteeth's nice little spin on it - no humans involved.

I would encourage you to write rather than judge, by the way, since we don't have a whole lot of entrants yet.

Quote:
and/or Little Know Nids no this will not be about rippers, unless you want too . You would write about little know nids Zoans, Biovores, rippers, Dominatrix, norn queens, other bio titans, ect... I'd need help cause i haven't had the chance to read much tyranid literature.

Well I think we should count out bio-titans and Dominatrixes, as I already said that stuff has been done before. But if we do the lesser known 'nid species, I would assume you'd agree with my suggestion for warrior-centered fiction since you were the one who requested it in the first place. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:30 am 
Medium One

Well then, happy birthday to you, GreatestThreat.

Your guidance counsellor knows nothing.
I think I will write about warriors, as I already have one or two awesome ideas for their POV (intelligent enough to make split-second decisions without direct synaptic orders, that kinda thing).

If anyone is reading this topic and doesn't think that they're a good enough writer to participate, just try anyway. You might surprise yourself and WE NEED MORE PARTICIPANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:06 am 
Little One

Yeah, sounds great to me. I need an excuse to actually finish a story...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:39 am 
Doom of Malan'tai

Happy birthday Greatest threat. I maight not be able to participate but I'd be happy to if I could. It's just helping my language teacher fight to school district would take perferance. Stories are fun. I'll proboably right about rippers cause rippers are great. Can kill a guardsmen in numbers AND thats how they come. Great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:23 pm 
Hive Tyrant

oops I thought i put down warriors :P here's another possible idea for a story if anyone's interested. Boarding action, where tyranid invade a ship. it would be a great way to introduce a genestealer infection. :twisted:

Termagant: A stock character, replaceable.