Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thoughts on Third Edition
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:25 pm 
Hive Tyrant

So I was thinking though the edition and when I look back, there was second edition there was third (where I started playing) and the from 4th edition which brought our structure more inline with the other codexs and the 6th and onward have been more polished, but since 4th I've found the rules and codex over all rather uninspired compared to the third edition rules. Now I know that some of this is rose colour glasses and nostalgia, but I think that the third edition dex really offered players an opportunity to get as invested as they wanted, and since then it's become more a mix and match to win the game.

So of this I think is because the core game has changed as well, but I would like to hear some other thoughts on the matter particularly in these dry times.

Termagant: A stock character, replaceable.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Third Edition
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:02 am 
Big One

withteeth wrote:
So I was thinking though the edition and when I look back, there was second edition there was third (where I started playing) and the from 4th edition which brought our structure more inline with the other codexs and the 6th and onward have been more polished, but since 4th I've found the rules and codex over all rather uninspired compared to the third edition rules. Now I know that some of this is rose colour glasses and nostalgia, but I think that the third edition dex really offered players an opportunity to get as invested as they wanted, and since then it's become more a mix and match to win the game.

So of this I think is because the core game has changed as well, but I would like to hear some other thoughts on the matter particularly in these dry times.

Is the 3rd edition one the one that allowed you to do major adaptation of your nids? Like pay points to increase a variety of stats and abilities.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:41 am 
Hive Tyrant

Yes it was, the loss of those rules really hurt the 4th edition for me, although I did soldier on, but right now I kind of considering just saying "screw it" and since I don't play regular games anymore I might just start generating my own sub species of Tyranids. I have been toying around with doing a genestealer project with all kinds of weird genestealer hybrids (I know it's been done before, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at it). But scratch building all kinds of horrors sound far more interesting to me then trying to keep up with the newest codex's "viable" lists. Honestly that is part why I like the AoS rules in theory because they tried to move people out of the mind set of competition, although that move was a little to shocking.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:45 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I started in 3rd as well, so my rose-colored glasses are there as well. I did like the fact that you could tailor things to stay cheap or get good, and man did I need this forum to tell me what did and didn't work, noob as I was back then (and still are).

It also sparked a lot of lively discussion on the forum.

While I think having the codex more streamlined isn't a bad thing per se, I think they've not hit the mark with balance between the various units since then. 4th was the age of godzilla lists (which I never liked), 5th was a meh codex where we couldn't even win battles against non-descript enemies in the fluff, and 6th was just a rehash of the same rules, basically, with some minor adjustments that did us more harm than good.
Should they hit the mark they set themselves for 6th (every unit equally viable, and on par with other codices) I don't think the streamline would be too bad. Though yes, it did take away a bit of nid flavor, I think there's more ways to get nid flavor in :)

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:37 pm 
Zoatibix

I miss mutable genus... :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:07 pm 
Great Devourer

I started around the time 2nd edition started, and have huge nostalgia for it. But I loved 3rd edition.

I loved
  • That all the codexes were scrapped and all the army lists rebalanced. 2nd was super broken.
  • The invention of the Force Organisation chart. It was so much better than what we had.
  • The refocusing of the game onto the troops. Squads suddenly mattered rather than just 4th level psyker lords.
  • Armies starting to look far more cohesive in both paint schemes and play style.
  • How much faster the game played. A 2,000 point game now had about twice as many models, but was finished in less than half the time.

There were things I missed from 2nd ed though
  • The loss of some characterful options from most armies. I accepted it for the sake of far more balanced armies though.
  • 'She's Going to Blow!' rule. (I still miss that one.)
  • I missed the incredible resilience that terminators and carnifexes used to have. :(
  • The change to the orks. In 3rd ed they stopped being a silly and fun army into brutal alien monsters. There were two large upsides to this though. Suddenly orks could fight in close combat (yay!) and my disillusion with the ork codex led me to turn the few tyranid models I had into an army (double yay!).

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:41 pm 
Hive Tyrant

Interesting I only have second hand knowledge (and books) from 2nd and there is definitely some cool stuff there. Though honestly I think the game need additional paring down. Probably the easiest would be one stat for melee, but that I'm sure would be controversial I'm sure though I find initiative a really lack luster stat as it doesn't really represent combat all that well as just because you hit slower doesn't mean you would not get hits in if your still skilled at combat.

Though back to third I'm glad other lament the loss of mutable genes as well. I found it really added flavor when you could add or subtract certain traits. Obviously the system was not even remotely perfect, but it was to bad they decided to abandon it out right rather then refine it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:24 pm 
Little One

Although I started 40K back in 2009, my first codex I got my claws into was a friend's old 3rd edition 'Nid codex. Dear gods I love that book. The modelling and painting section in particular was awesome and I'd love it if they brought stuff like that back in the codices themselves.

I'm also a big fan of the 3rd edition models. The Hive Tyrant's head was ripped straight from the Xenomorph Queen, yes, but it looked pretty good, and I do wish the modern kits had that head. The Tyrant Guard are actually some of my favourite Guard designs, especially the shields and whips. The 4th edition models were kinda lame to me, and the new ones, whilst great, don't have quite the same charm. The 3rd edition Carnifex is actually one I'm very fond of, grin included; something about the stance I think.

There was no excuse for the Biovore though. That thing was awful.