Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Splinter Fleet Yale - gearing up for the 2nd Tyrannic Wa
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:22 am 
Great Devourer

Mr_Pink wrote:
I resent the comment about not knowing about old termags. Some of us have been around since those days and originally bought those models!

Eh? Sorry mate. I was thinking about all our new members who've joined in the last few years. I think it is a shame GW almost hides the old classic models. You have to really go out of your way to track them down nowadays. Some of them were great and they should be proud of them.

And I'm already onto the deslugifiaction process :D . Now that I've finished painting this guy I have put it aside until after I finish my 2TW army. I've kitbashed some legs and middle limbs together and I reckon I know how to attach them so it doesn't look too ungainly. But given the beast's less than impressive stat line making it bigger could make it look a bit out of proportion to its actual in game effect.

Monster Moloch wrote:
Hey guys, what`s up with your enhanced senses ?

That`s clearly a Haruspex, not a Malafactor.

Sheesh

>Amateurs<

(nice stuff, Yaleling !)
(desluggification indeed, Mr. Pink. Now desluggify that.)

Thanks Moloch, you got it in one. I was planning to draw it out a bit and so took this next photo as a hint this morning. I was trying to confuse the issue :twisted: . Ah well, I'll photo him up properly over the next few days and post them up. :wink:

Exaulted Accommodator wrote:
Have I ever mentioned how similar our paint schemes are?

Yeah, I've seen your guys in the gallery. I think the purple and black is a tyranid classic.

Anyway, as Hydra said - back to the topic. Here are some pic's of my warriors:
Warrior 1
Warrior 1 again
Warrior 2
Warrior 2 again
Warrior 3
Warrior with venom cannon
Warrior heavy close up
The warriors are decked out with deathspitters; rending claws; enhanced senses; extended carapace; toxin sacs; and bio-plasma. They are rarely game winners but they are regular solid performers - providing another synapse anchor, good light anti-vehicle and anti-infantry firepower, and they are no slouches in close combat either. Over time they might lose the extended carapace. It never seems to pay for itself. And here they are as a brood.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Last edited by Yaleling on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:01 am 
Hydraphant

Quote:
Over time they might lose the extended carapace. It never seems to pay for itself.

This made me thinking. I always use warriors with carapace, because otherwise, bolters and stuff will simply shred them.

Shall we open a topic on Hivefleets&Lists for 2TW?
Well maybe there is already one (i am no regular there) but i guess we could help each other out abit :D

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:04 pm 
Lictor

Accommodator wrote:
Haruspex, indeed. And I too have full broods of the old gaunts - both the plastic and the metal ones, termagaunt and hormagaunt.

Moloch wrote:
Hey, I offered him one of my NIB Haruspex to try his desluggifying magic on. That was greeted with gales of laughter - making stuff from the new carnifex kit is FAR more satisfying, apparently.

Yeah, I thought about it too. But really, there`s no point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:29 am 
Screamer Killer

Accommodator wrote:
Haruspex, indeed. And I too have full broods of the old gaunts - both the plastic and the metal ones, termagaunt and hormagaunt.

Moloch wrote:
Hey, I offered him one of my NIB Haruspex to try his desluggifying magic on. That was greeted with gales of laughter - making stuff from the new carnifex kit is FAR more satisfying, apparently.

"Desluggify that brick of resin? HAAHAHAHA!"

Okay, I did offer to modify it for you, Acc, not desluggify it. Keep the same general shape, but make it a little more lithe and imposing.

As is the case with all other desluggification initiatives, I start with a plastic fex kit. That is essential. Now you guys have got me thinking about how I would do a Haruspex....damn! I've got too much on my plate already to have to deal with this. Maybe it will be my own Haruspex/Tankerfex hybrid since i've got a cool idea for the tankerfex head....hmmm....

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:22 am 
Great Devourer

I've almost finished my winged hive tyrant. Up until yesterday I though he was finished, but I haven't varnished him yet and I reckon the wing membranes need a few more highlights (at the moment he looks too much like a 3D batman symbol!), maybe all the way up to tenticle pink.

But here are some bits that won't change: The flyrant's best friend, and the base pic 1 and the base pic 2.

The resin and plastic bits on the base are mainly to boost the model height a bit, as the classic tyrant model isn't much bigger than a warrior. The wingspan hopefully adds a bit of menace by taking up some space. I deliberately used the old 2nd edition tyrant as I reckon as the smallest of the tyrant models, he would be the most aerodynamic. I tried bigger scything talons, but I just wasn't happy with the effect. I thought he looked a bit top heavy and a bit to 'busy' with the flesh hooks.

So here is the semi-finished product, partly for EJT, and partly for you to comment on before the gets that no-going-back coat of purity seal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:49 am 
Great Devourer

Nobody have anything to say about the hive tyrant? I take that as partial acceptance since no-one has said they hate it :wink: .

Well here is something more to everyone's tastes: genestealers.

Brood 2
Brood 3, these guys have flesh hooks made form the ones on the warrior sprue. Some just have the tongue cut out completely (just because it looks good and makes the flesh hooks I have stretch further).
Broodlord's retinue, again with flesh hooks. And;
The sewer rat. I actually made this guy before CoD came out. The nickname 'sewer-stalkers' was too evocative to leave alone.

And for the 2nd Tyrannic War I've upgraded my broodlord. Originally I modelled him without upgrades as I wanted him to blend in with the other genestealers as much as possible. But I've seen there is no chance an opponent will over look a broodlord so I've decided to make him stand out a bit. And given the destruction he's caused already, I have high hopes for him with the implant attack, extended carapace and flesh hooks.

Last edited by Yaleling on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:53 am 
Broodling

I like the Tyr....err....Harry. lol I think you did a great job! :wink: But personally, I think I would have angeled the wings a smidge higher. :) But either way Harry is a cool lookin' dude. haha :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:04 am 
Hydraphant

I finally go your stile, man. I was wondering about the tyrant abit (since we got such anicey one)...
but seeing the grand scheme on your army i must say: ACE! I am all about a design that follows through the army and you hit that spot :D

I love the guy from the sewers... the expresion on his face is just too cool!
And HArry is very well made aswell! I bet it wasn't an easy convo...
one fine day in the near future we will stand side by side.... what great day that will be!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:53 pm 
Sky Slasher

The next time soneone whinges about modelling scuttlers, I'm gonna show them the picture of the sewer rat. Thats my favourite genestealer ever. The broodlord looks good too. Much more dynamic than the GW version (mines sitting at the bottom of the pile waiting for a conversion). There's something about the model that makes it look bigger than a normal stealer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:42 am 
Great Devourer

Hydra wrote:
I finally go your stile, man. I was wondering about the tyrant abit (since we got such anicey one)...
but seeing the grand scheme on your army i must say: ACE! I am all about a design that follows through the army and you hit that spot :D

I love the guy from the sewers... the expresion on his face is just too cool!
And HArry is very well made aswell! I bet it wasn't an easy convo...
one fine day in the near future we will stand side by side.... what great day that will be!

Thanks for the kind words Hydra. It means a lot coming from you. I know I don't have the skill to produce outstanding individuals but I thought I could create a good effect with a whole army. I wanted to have an amorphous horde of dark shadowy creatures with bright eyes and claws, so they are the only things that stand out.

Hey, half of the reason I'm coming to England is to meet you and Moloch and see your armies in person! I am really looking forward to getting our armies together.

Goliath wrote:
The next time soneone whinges about modelling scuttlers, I'm gonna show them the picture of the sewer rat. Thats my favourite genestealer ever. The broodlord looks good too. Much more dynamic than the GW version (mines sitting at the bottom of the pile waiting for a conversion). There's something about the model that makes it look bigger than a normal stealer?

Thanks Goliath. Originally the sewer rat was just base decoration for another genestealer. But he keeps falling off :D , and now I've decided the base is good enough to represent a genestealer anyway. The sewer hatch is a normal 25mm slotta base with a MkI rhino hatch and handle. The sewer rat himself is just a spare classic genstealer head, devourer bits for a torso and the front hand is made from three devourer feeder arms that were laying about.

I think everyone who owns a broodlord wants to convert him somehow :roll: . It is just wrong :evil: . The hands have the wrong number of fingers 4, instead of 3 or 5 like all other genestealers. He has too many toes as well. The pose is nice, but the head is just too ugly to bear. It looks more like a lizardman than a genestealer. And the scything talons and rending claws are the 'wrong' way around. (Rant over)

My broodlord is actually bigger than a normal 'stealer. He started life as a regular broodlord, but the arms and head came off and the body and legs join was reposed. The arms are from a classic genestealer, but were beefed up a bit with putty. The extended carapace and scything talons are from the new MC weapons sprue and the head is a new genestealer head with some putty bulking out and a devourer horn on the toungue was an implant attack/ flesh hooks. I'm glad you like him, I'm pretty happy with it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:37 am 
Harridan

I love the scheme of this army. I was always tempted to do a purple and blue nid army, and looking at this one, I wish I had done. :)
Congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:51 am 
Great Devourer

Sylph wrote:
I love the scheme of this army. I was always tempted to do a purple and blue nid army, and looking at this one, I wish I had done. :)
Congratulations!

Thanks heaps Sylph.

New Stuff.

Here are some hormagaunts for you.

Here is a close up of one of the plastics. And a view of the leaping hormgaunts at the back.

And here are some of the old metal hormagaunts.

We also have a close up and another one of my favourite hormie.

I hope it gives you a bit of a buzz to to see the old stabby fellows again :D . I love these models, but they look far tougher than they really are. I only wish they would win a combat once in a while!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:26 am 
Hydraphant

We will be there and make sure the sykmother is with your hormis to win the day :D

Again... THOSE EYES!
:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:22 am 
Great Devourer

Okay, we're getting down to brass tacks now. The army is almost done and will soon get gloss coated and packed up for transport. I'll shot pic's of the lot tomorrow.

Here's my Combat patrol. And the two manouvre elements:

1 the assault component; and

2 the firebase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:05 am 
Hydraphant

Yeah!
i
can't
wait
tothis