Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Splinter Fleet Yale - Painted Army and apocalypse formations
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:37 am 
Great Devourer

Hi guys and girls,

I've picked out a few bugs from Hive Fleet Yale to expose to an unsuspecting Warpshadow crowd. It is a bit nerve wracking as I'm a bit unsure of my painting and photographing prowess.

Oh well here goes... http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

I know the paint scheme is a bit conventional, but I think purple is a classic for genestealers. And the blue/black is to hint at shadows and darkness. The clawy bits are brilliant gloss white as I was aiming for a carpet of biological shadow nightmares with far too many teeth.

Where does the name come from? In keeping with the mythological beast theme for tyranids, a yale is a heraldric beast with both horns and tusks. Now I reckon a creature of legend with claws, tusks, horns and fangs all on the body of a leopard and the head of a goat is a pretty reasonable description of a tryanid for someone seeing them for the first time. It fits with my background of the fleet being encountered at much the same time as Behemoth, when tryanids were pretty much unknown.

I'd love to hear what you think.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Last edited by Yaleling on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:09 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:53 am 
Ravener

lovely stuff. i reely like your broodlord and the fex :) i like the mushrooms to :D nice scheme very dark and mystrious 8-)

hope to see more soon (b~_^)b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:30 am 
Great Devourer

Thanks Behemoth. It has taken me a while longer to put some more stuff up.

I've started a WIP album as I'm pretty happy with this afternoons work.

Here's my mini-tyrant. H'e definately be a hive node if we still had them. Instead I'll be using him as a strangleweb toting spinegaunt.
My first web link

And here's my first forray into the world of modelling putty. I wanted to keep the deathleapers head for another project, so I had a go at building up a 'stealer head to replace it. It is a simple job compared to the stuff I see around warpshadow, but I am happy with the start.
Head detail and
The whole bug

Last edited by Yaleling on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:50 am 
Hydraphant

Well done!
I see no reason why you should be worried to show tose :D
The pictures are very good and the painting aswell!

A very cool paintscheme you got there... and the eyes are great looking! you should definatly keep this goody. The genestealers are my favourit... you showed us the the old ones can still keep up with the new one, when you up date tem a little.

Keep it up!

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:45 am 
Sky Slasher

Great work. The lictor head is really good, at first I wondered where you got a plastic lictor from (I always open links before I read what they're about). Your painting is up to spec as well, damn sight better than mine, and there's something about the colour scheme, especially the yellow eyes, that is just plain "right".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:15 pm 
Big One

Very nice. I really like the dark theme, and the paintwork is topnotch.

I can relate to the "first carnifex" syndrome - mine is also a combifex (BS + ST), kitted out for coolness more than for efficiency... My second fex was also mostly cool-looks-driven (all-out CC), so perhaps I've got it worse than you. My next 'fex will be something shooty, though; The regular group includes Eldar and Tau, and both bring skimmer tanks.

The Mini-Tyrant is cute...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:29 pm 
Great Devourer

@ Hydra (nearly unrecognisable since being cut down from Hyrda_Brood :D ) and Goliath: That means a lot coming from you Hydra, Thanks. I put a bit of effort into getting the eyes right. I think they are what gives a model its personality (if personality is the right word for slaves of the hivemind...).

@ Blacktide: Thanks mate. Yes we do think alike, my second fex is more than half done and he is a big assaulty canifex too. I too plan of sniper and dakkafexes, they are too good to ignore, but we don't have to start there do we :wink: .

Post subject: Splinter Fleet Yale - gearing up for the 2nd Tyrannic War
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:33 am 
Great Devourer

Okay Guys and Gals, the upcoming campaign has got me inspired to add a whole bunch of new units and expand some of my existing ones. I have a lot of glue drying at home but once that is done I'll be almost finished!

I've only got the tankerfex (mostly assembled and half painted) and the taloned horror (assembled but only in flat colours) to go and I'll be ready to pack them in foam for the trip.

Here are some of the photos I managed to take this morning.

* First up are the Aerial spore mines. These are a special unit for the campaign. They are basically acid mines that are attracted to flyers and skimmers. The models are a very simple conversion, but I think it gets the point across.

* Here's the termagant brood from my main army. They have served me well in the past and I'm sticking with them. Oh and here's a close up of the strangleweb toting gaunts. I can't use them in the 2nd Tyrannic War as they don't allow chapter approved items, so they'll just count as fleshborers. But I love them in normal games! Template weapons are great for assaulty armys like tyranids, and the ability to pin target units is invlauable. It means you don't have to assault with the gaunts where they don't really excel.

* Termagant brood beta belongs to my combat patrol and is made up of old termagant models. They used to be painted the classic red and bone colour but I've just re-done them to match the rest of the hive. And here's me showing off some the the metal termagants. It occurs to me that some of you won't have seen the old guys (I really like 'em), so here's a close up.

More coming soon, but in the mean time here's:
A picture of my sister's new puppy. (For no better reason than the photo was in her camera :D ) and
The face of things to come.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:35 am 
Hydraphant

Woo!
Cool stuff. I am madly in love with the old gaunts. And even if i repeat myself the eyes make the real horror :D
The idea for Aerial spore mines is pretty good. Though i thought that they meant the big spore sacks from FW (because they have the same rules).

Anyway... i the last pic what i think it is? A Malefactor?!?! Do you bring it to 2TW?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:02 am 
Big One

wow
looks like a malefactor to me too.

show us more pics plz!!!

harald

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

Post subject: Re: Splinter Fleet Yale - gearing up for the 2nd Tyrannic Wa
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:28 am 
Screamer Killer

Yaleling wrote:

Ew. What an ugly mug. Definitely looks like something that's in need of some desluggification!!! :wink:

I resent the comment about not knowing about old termags. Some of us have been around since those days and originally bought those models!

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:56 am 
Broodling

Nice work man. :) I am REALLY curious to see that big hive mind head attatched to something. lol Looks pretty damn sweet.

Oh....and cute dog too. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:44 pm 
Lictor

Hey guys, what`s up with your enhanced senses ?

That`s clearly a Haruspex, not a Malafactor.

Sheesh

>Amateurs<

(nice stuff, Yaleling !)
(desluggification indeed, Mr. Pink. Now desluggify that.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:27 pm 
Malanthrope of the Admins

Haruspex, indeed. And I too have full broods of the old gaunts - both the plastic and the metal ones, termagaunt and hormagaunt.

Have I ever mentioned how similar our paint schemes are?

Moloch wrote:
(desluggification indeed, Mr. Pink. Now desluggify that.)
Hey, I offered him one of my NIB Haruspex to try his desluggifying magic on. That was greeted with gales of laughter - making stuff from the new carnifex kit is FAR more satisfying, apparently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:27 pm 
Hydraphant

I never got into that Bio-titan stuff properly...
I only know those Mr. Pink desluggified by name.... time to add anotherone eh? :D

Back to topic...