Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vejby's nids
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:53 am 
Biomass

Hi everybody, long time lurker, but now I've finally gotten enough painted to share some Photos with you. Hope you like them:

[Open in new window]

And some single models:

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

I am no where near as talented as some of the better painters in here, but I do try to make up for it by spending a long time painting each model, so it takes ages, although the lictor was relatively quick to do.

Post subject: Re: Vejby's nids
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:05 am 
Medium One

These nids look pretty cool, very striking scheme.

I particularly like the hive tyrant's devourer toes. He wasn't using his feet anyway...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:02 pm 
Great Devourer

Hi Vejby, I'm so very glad you decided to de-lurk. :)

I really like your hive fleet mate. There are so many neat touches in it. I like the brain leech worms on the tyrant's base are cool, the foliage on the base Shrike's is beautiful, and I love most are the contradictions.

Grey bases with black rims and largely grey, white and black models should look lost and washed out. Yours don't. They look lovely up close and have excellent definition at a distance. And that similarity in palettes ends up making them look so natural. That's uncommon and I love it. (b~_^)b

Your hive fleet looks quite different up close to at a distance, and both look great. Now I've seen armies that look good at a distance, but not so much up close. I've seen armies where the individual models were stunning, but looked a bit of mess from across the table. I've seen armies that weren't great either up close or at distance. And I've seen armies that looked great at both ranges. But I don't remember seeing an army that looked great at both ranges and yet different at both ranges. :D I put that down to clever colour choices in the spot and contrasting colours, and how you've painted the green horny bits and chimneys and how you've done the white/grey feathering on the carapace. They look natural and interesting up close, but blur into a different effect at distance.

If you planned that - it is utterly genius. If it is serendipity - that doesn't diminish it, you're onto a winner, don't change it! :D

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:32 am 
Biomass

@ Yaleling: You are most kind, sir. I must ascribe most of the succes of that particular color scheme to luck and I have also 'cheated' by posting only some of the most recent models. The color scheme has gone through quite a Development, but it is at a place where I am very happy with it, although it is time consuming.

The initial goal I set myself was to avoid the brightly lit, unruly, orangey color schemes of the past where no two units would look completely alike and instead turn the swarm visually into a Cold and uncaring killer, both individually and collectively. That meant using the same scheme for all models, keeping warmer colors to a minimum of areas and the number of colors total to a minimum, while at the same time maintaining as interesting a look as possible.

Initially the skin was drybrushed, but after looking over Nard's beautiful army, I decided that that just did not cut it. I think I read a guide of his at some point and switched the skin to something like his method, only with fewer steps. The chimneys have also changed from drybrush and dullcoat to making random patterns with a brush and then giving them some shiny varnish. The basics of the scheme have not changed, but the specifics have evolved.

I usually get compliments for the color scheme when I get out, but yours have been the most comprehensive so far, thank you.

@Centurion: it always bugged me (yes, its a lame pun around here) that the flyrant would never be able to land with the talons nor fulfill the rule specific requirements of four devourers to have the usual armament for a flyrant , so I made those feet to scratch both itches, only having the carnifex arms available as devourers at that time. Now that I have the FW arms, the feet actually annoy me a Little, but they go well with the Worms on the base.

Incidentally, I also discovered that liquid greenstuff is really good for making smooth tubes by painting it on metal wire, but I don't think the feeder tubes to the devourers on the feet are visible on that Photo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:43 pm 
Great Devourer

You're welcome, I meant all of it. :) Could it be that the different techniques, direct blending on the models and drybrushing on the earth of the bases be what separates them visually? As said, I think it's a great effect.

I've seen that painting random streaks technique work really well before. (I think it is part of what made Hive Fleet Moloch so great and famous. I'd always written it off as too much work to redo all my painted nids. Now you've got me thinking that I really should try a little bit of it at key locations. I'm a fan of the varnish too. It doesn't show up in my photos as I usually take them pre-varnish, but having some bits glossy adds a lot to tyranids.

Vejby wrote:
...it always bugged me (yes, its a lame pun around here) that the flyrant would never be able to land with the talons nor fulfill the rule specific requirements of four devourers to have the usual armament for a flyrant , so I made those feet to scratch both itches, only having the carnifex arms available as devourers at that time. Now that I have the FW arms, the feet actually annoy me a little, but they go well with the worms on the base.

Incidentally, I also discovered that liquid greenstuff is really good for making smooth tubes by painting it on metal wire, but I don't think the feeder tubes to the devourers on the feet are visible on that Photo.
Yeah I think the feet are a bit overdone too. If they bug you enough to want to change them (but certainly don't feel compelled to) I'd recommend reposing the hooves to a more relaxed state, and smaller dew claw thingies would help a lot.

That wire and liquid greenstuff is a great tip too. 8-)

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:53 am 
Biomass

I dug up a Photo of my exocrine which did not have the shiny varnish applied to any bits and I think it comes off as much more dull:

[Open in new window]

I actually had to give the green bits some shiny varnish after your post to make it right, because here they seem flat and unfinished.

You probably also have a point about the bases being drybrushed versus the layering of the skin making two similar colors look distinct:

[Open in new window]

I had not thought about it this way before. Actually, the dark blue used in the very deepest recesses of the skin is actually used in a drybrushing step on the bases, but after that I use Dheneb stone and sometimes even pure White to topoff the bases, so they will never be completely similar top the skin.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:07 pm 
Zoatibix

This is all looking very cool. I'm reminded of Madame KrewLRaiN's scheme:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetCicada/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:54 am 
Biomass

A couple of new models painted:

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Deathleaper was a bit of a pain to assemple, but nothing compared to the new-found, passionate hatred I now have for FW's mould-release agent. And I have 8 more of the damn things to go through :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:32 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

Still looking ace! Keep up the good work!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:52 am 
Biomass

And a recently completed oldschool neurothrope (I have a ton of the old models lying around and never really bothered with any of the new kits):

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

And here he is next to one of his brood Brothers (that was painted a long time ago):

[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:13 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

oh I'm jealous of these. They're the only zoanthrope model I don't own, and I think they're lovely.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:39 am 
Biomass

vonny wrote:
oh I'm jealous of these. They're the only zoanthrope model I don't own, and I think they're lovely.

They are, though a bit "wavy" with those big hands of theirs.

Anyway, I went and made myself a malanthrope:

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Probably the biggest and most succesful conversion I have made to date. The pink came out a Little too bright, but that will be a job for a different day, if I even care to change it.