Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Splinter Hive Euryale by the Darkness
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:24 pm 
Biomass

This is the home of the ever growing Splinter Hive Euryale, a nearly destroyed Hive ship from Splinter Fleet Gorgon that crashed into Tallon IV, a planet far from civilization. the damage from the Tau had been Catastrophic, the lifeforms on board almost entirely destroyed save a few and a injured queen.
The queen bides her time as she scours the jungle, she is eager to feed but the hive is weak time is the best ally here, the jungle will regrow given time adding more biomass. Rippers Scurry away from her eager to consume the wreckage of the Hive Ship nothing must be wasted.

((Hello, and welcome to the home of Splinter Hive Euryale. This will be the home for my future musings and postings of my humble entries into the exciting world of warhammer 40k. I am very excited as this is my first army in warhammer so I expect to be learning a whole bunch of painting and modeling tips along the way. I expect updates to be slow for a moment as I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and will not be able to sculp or paint until I am back in the states. I did however want to finally get a post out there instead of lurking like a lictor in the background. I chose Spinter Hive as I will be my first army and wished to show it was a small group that much like tyranids themselves grow as the consume and devour enemies. Euryale is the name of the one of the gorgon siters who's name literally translated from greek means far reaching which I think matches the idea of being way out there eventually being a very prominent threat in the universe.
For paint Scheme I am actually choosing the Hive Fleet Behemoth's paint scheme as I think looks very cool and storywise allows my tyranids to have a little bit of a grudge with the ultramarines lol))

Post subject: Re: Splinter Hive Euryale by the Darkness
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:06 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

welcome to the hive mind!

I completely understand your choice for starting with a small splinter fleet - it's exactly how I started (albeit from hive fleet kraken, as that was the only known 'splintered' fleet by then. Since then my collection of models, and especially my collection of painted models, has been steadily growing so as to now once again pose a serious threat to many an imperial sector.
I'm sure your hive fleet will grown and evolve in much the same way, and before you know it, you'll have enemies scurrying for cover.
For now, welcome, and good luck in Afghanistan!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:32 am 
Biomass

Well thank you kindly, hopefully it won't be much longer till I am able to enjoy the hobby. Been Here a while and have a bit to go but as soon as I get updates I plan on taking some photos and sending them here, the advantage to having some time is that I can fully nail down what I want to do and prepare. Most of the stuff we have gotten thus far was high elves for my wife but I have loved 40 k lore and books since I was a kid.

To give an idea into my plans I am collecting some Artificial plants and following the directions in White Dwarf #305 which tells how to make a jungle board, Unlike their tutorial I will have two noticeable differences. The first is that they cut up a 4 x 6 mdf board into various sized pieces to make it easier to remove terrain from. My plan is to have removable terrain on Mdf board as well but I will have a board underneath to match the dimensions of the citadel realm of battle boards so when I eventually get the boards (like the downed thunder hawk one) that my boards will be compatible.
the goal is to actually make two full boards that can inter-mesh them using 1 and 7/8ths inch thick foam rubber (I ill actually have it deeper and higher in certain places for hills much like realm of battles board. I plan on using zuzzy's terrain mat (one verdant forest and one blasted lands) and then once applied carefully over the foam cutting the sections into 2' x 2' squares.

This will allow me to make a verdant jungle world that slowly becomes a barren rock with nothing but nid goodness. I will be putting the jungle trees and plants made from cut up plants on 50 mm bases and texturing them to match the landscape so that they can be removed for easier access to fights and the like.

While I very much like the idea of spore pods dropping from a hive ship before my hive has no ship anymore (though I plan on getting some for sake of other games and for the future) So I decided to construct a hive using several old forge world capillaries and a chapter house meiotic spore. The capillaries will be on three sides of the spore and tendrils will be made connecting the tubes on the spore to the base and the towers, bits from a trygon set along with some gribbly bits I picked up will add teeth and tendrils to the hive to give it some bolstered defense.

Well thats all for now more to follow soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:02 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

sounds ambitious!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:45 pm 
Great Devourer

That sounds great TheDarkness. A friend has a few of the zuzzy mats and they are brilliant. And there is a real practicality in making jungle terrain removable. (If it is think enough I find hormagaunts get lost and stuck with all their sticky-outy talons. :wink: )

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:20 pm 
Biomass

Alright to jot down what I have to paint model and otherwise
A set of five polystyrene foam capillaries that need to be repainted from hive fleet kraken to hive fleet behemoth source capttraderjack
A Polystyrene foam Hive ( a node with three cappilaries on it mounted on the same board) thats needs to be repainted also from capttraderjack
A foam terrain piece with more rounded alien looking columns and a pit in the middle needs to be painted and digestion pool added
two sets of linked barricades and quad guns with the spawn hive appearance from mr.dandy
Three atmospheric processors made from orange cups and gribbly bits based off Mr. Pinks tutorial needs to be painted
One digestion pool from Zieterdes
One foam bastion based off of the wonderful tutorial on http://40kaddict.blogspot.com/ needs gribbly bits sculpting and paint
5 hive nodes from battle of macragge sets needs to be painted and based considering putting in clear in the pit and having green led underneath
7 infestation markers from the same need painting
9 Capillaries from Forgeworld oop need painting
1 Brood nest from Forgeworld oop need painting
1 spore pod from puppetwar needs assembly and painting
1 spore pod from hydracast needs assembly and painting
1 spore pod from chapterhouse will become part of my revamped hive needs tendrils hooks and scythes added assembly and paint
7 meiotic spore sacs from forge world oop
2 alien pods that were used to hold 6 inch action figures from the movie aliens
3 alien egg clutches in 28mm scale
Lots of 28mm scale starship troopers stuff which I use for parts for walls buildings and talons etc
3 marro hive converted to be spore chimneys the eggs were placed in a plant seed pod for another brood nest
brood nest discussed above made all diy style needs to be painted
5 scything talons for hive and bastion
5 tendrils for bastion and hive
5 hooks for bastion and hive needs attached and painted
17 modular hills of different shapes and sizes
ruins and barricades for different species
river and waterfall set
various rock outcrops

for units here we go all need to be painted most are assembled
Carnifex 2
terivigon 1
tyranofex 1
Trygon 1
gargoyle brood 1
biovore 2
pyrovore 1
hive tyrant 3 (one flying)
5 zoanthropes (3 2ed, 2 5th)
1 venomthrope
1 malanthrope from forgeworld
2 termagant broods
1 homogaunt brood
9 warriors
3 raveners
1 red terror
3 lictors
1 deathleaper
1 one old one eye
1 doom of malanti from hydracast
107 rippers loose ( i love the little guys as the go on terrain bases and objective markers)
6 ripper swarms from forgeworld
3 exocrine from armorcast
1 haruspex from armorcast
1 malefactor from armorcast
15 objective markers made with casualties and rippers doing various silly things
2 broods of genestealers made to look various aliens for fun
1 harpy
2 Hive guard
2 tyrant guard
Future endeavors that i have been assembling parts and supplies for
Dactilus
Dominatrix

hoping to get harridan and hierohant eventually too from forgeworld

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:51 am 
Great Devourer

Woah. I got tired just reading that list. :shock:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:05 am 
Biomass

Sorry I feel like now looking back i should have broken that up and included pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:29 am 
Hydraphant

The last two points on your list especially caught my eyes... How do you plan to do them?

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:34 am 
Biomass

I am back from Afghanistan expect updates soon! !

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:03 am 
Biomass

Wow really didn't do much updating perhaps for the best paint scheme went akimbo on me and I ended up with a lot of clown nids that looked terrible sooo little bit of brake fluid and we are trying this again in time for 7th edition. Closing this thread as the Hive Fleet has been repainted reformed and made into a new theme. Look for Hive Gila.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:27 pm 
Hormagaunt

I know you closed the thread, so bad form on my part, but what state are you in? For possible proximity for gaming.