Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: #theHiveRises
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:02 pm 
Medium One

Since the rumors have been swirling I've been feeling the need to paint. So here are the Dev gaunts I've been working on lately.

[Open in new window]

Post subject: Re: #theHiveRises
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:57 pm 
Biomass

One thing I noticed looking at your 'guants is some of them have mold-lines that in the future should be removed. Otherwise awesome paint scheme! (b~_^)b

Last edited by Hive Fleet Tiamet on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:43 am 
Hatchling

Hi Tiamet,

I like your Gaunts colors. My one critique on them would be to add a touch of color to the eyes and claws. One cool effect for bug eyes is to go with pure black and when dry add a coat or three of a high gloss medium/clear coat. Gives them both depth and an evil shine.

I did a similar paint scheme way back when the gaunts were called Hunter killers.. :) Think I used worm purple and dark marine blue.

Happy painting,

Ronin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:47 am 
Medium One

They're not 100% yet but thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to improve my hobby prowess.

I'll look into purple for the eyes as I still need to drybrush the faces a little still. I'm trying to get to a point my wife doesn't cringe at the sight of my painting... But since she's an artist it might be a while.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:42 pm 
Medium One

Red for the eyes.

Never mind the detail paint more theHiveRises theHiveRises theHiveRises theHiveRises theHiveRises theHiveRises

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:30 pm 
Great Devourer

6262 - I like 'em. Dark, menacing and alien. (b~_^)b

Hive Fleet Tiamet - I keep looking but even in the way bigger than life size photo I can't see any mould lines. All I see is the head ridge and that is a design feature of the models. :wink:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:17 am 
Medium One

@Nardprime - trust me #thehiverises faster than ever has before. Probably due to reading the Fellowship of the Ring. I just can't get into the book and I'm working on an old Carnifex that never got the love.

@yalelong - Thanks. I always make my broods of the little ones drab and plain colored. Though I've always felt that Nids should have more colors than any other army so different broods pull from the same families of colors with similar themes between them.

Sadly its earned me the "Did you buy your army on eBay?" question a few times. When in fact every model has been painted or repainted in the force.

More to come as #theHiveRises.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:00 pm 
Medium One

Yaleling wrote:
6262 - I like 'em. Dark, menacing and alien. (b~_^)b

I agree, dark and evil. Lurking in the darkness ready to kill.

If you do want a quick way to add a bit of colour paint the eyes and the tubes on the devours red and paint the teeth white. Put some sand on the base, paint brown, dry brush beige and add some grass clump like the ones Yale stuck on his tervigon base (I cant remember what the grass is called). Leave a section of the base clean of sand, paint red, add water effect and 'bingo' quick and easy slime pool :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:45 pm 
Medium One

@NardPrime - Basing is a beast that I'm both eager [and terribly apprehensive about] for the army as a whole. I've got thousands of points that are completely unbased. I know I need to go back and clean it up, but its such a project now I think it will need to be tackled en mass. Thanks for the suggestions though, once I've got the big beasties painted up I'm hoping to swing back around and start cleaning up the bases of the army.

I've been working on a Carnifex this week and for me its coming together a little better than normal, especially since I've done all painting on my lunch break with one brush. Once he's done I'll try to get a better picture, but all the metallic is to try and replicate those jewel like shells that beetles seem to have.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:49 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

oh wow, that does look pretty impressive! nice work, I think your 'replication' works quite well!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:34 am 
Hatchling

Oh ho 6262,

Very nice so far, I wonder if you could not achieve the almost pearlescent look which scarabs or the inside of oysters possess. Using transparent paint colors watered down and then brushed over the metallic paints lightly? I have yet to see a scarab which had only one metallic color, though you have neatly captured my interest.
So a test piece of plastic card... based in black on one side and white on the other.. similar to the color swatches they do in the paint department at hardware stores. Add some metallics perhaps some aged bronze, chain mail silver, and shining gold along.. and then try some transparent yellow, green, red, and so on.

Ronin

Oh and to respond to something you mentioned earlier. Back in the bygone days of early space hulk/super space hulk, we used to do brood markings. Each tyranid unit would have a unique pattern somewhere upon the carapace or head. This was done away with in the fluff in second edition 40k, but some of us still remember. This allowed paint schemes to be cohesive, and yet distinct. Since the fluff claims that even the lesser swarms are reclaimed as biomass when the final planet stripping is underway, this results in a reason for all of the many beasties to share coloration. I always loved the brood markings.
Had tyranid warriors with a pattern of yellow flames extending from the center of their head.
Had tyranid warriors with a pattern of Red flames extending from the center of their head.
Stealers with blue facial markings
Stealers with green facial markings
Stealers with purple facial markings

Well you get the idea.. but it allowed all of my creatures to share the same beautiful color combos.

Last edited by Ronin on Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:47 am 
Great Devourer

I dig that opalescent carapace. :D (If that is the right term.)

6262 wrote:
@NardPrime - Basing is a beast that I'm both eager [and terribly apprehensive about] for the army as a whole. I've got thousands of points that are completely unbased. I know I need to go back and clean it up, but its such a project now I think it will need to be tackled en mass.
Well that works out as I reckon basing is a job best done in large batches. ;) It helps to get a really consistent effect across broods and ties an army together. And once you get started, it doesn't take anywhere near the focus that painting does, so large batches are doable.

The base details that I use are grass tufts. The Citadel ones look pretty decent, I prefer the Army Painter ones as they come in a greater range of sizes and colours. A really quick drybrush of the ends of the tufts with bleached bone (or what ever the modern equivalent is) goes a long way to making them look more natural. Clump foliage is a little bit different. It is cheap, good and beloved by historical wargamers.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:25 am 
Hatchling

Quote:
Yaleling wrote:
I dig that opalescent carapace. :D (If that is the right term.)

Ok Ok, I messed that one... I should have said Pearlescent

I finally found where I had seen that pearl look.
Testors makes this Model Master Spray Gloss Pearl Clearcoat 3 oz Testors
Spray it on and it gives the colors underneath it a pearlescent look.
Not sure if they also make a brush on version.

Ronin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:15 pm 
Medium One

@Ronin -Thanks for the Rogue Trader support on the broods being different. I'll see about redoing some of the small ones with distinct patterns. I've currently got 2-3 patterns in the gaunts to distinguish the broods.

The big ones all have a black with light highlighting for the body and a variant of bone for claws. The shells use all different colors and patterns. All found on insects or at
least inspired by.

I'll see if I can bring the green out a bit more in the pics as it darkens to green from the bluish color.

Thanks for the encouragement. It still has quite a ways to go, but I've got some time till it is too cold to paint outside.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:38 pm 
Biomass

Yaleling- I mainly just saw a slight couple on the on the arms. It also just occurred to me that it maybe just the light.