Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A piece of tyranid art
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:26 pm 
Medium One

I thought I should share my latest piece of artwork with the Shadow since it involves Tyranids :D

http://3shades.deviantart.com/art/Desert-Raiders-277626967

I would love to know your reactions, positive or negative.

Post subject: Re: A piece of tyranid art
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:12 pm 
Little One

I like the colours and the shading, and the look on the humans face is good, but... (you knew there was a but, right?)

The Hormy in the background has presumably just killed the face-down human. Not enough blood!
How did the Hormy in the foreground get to where it is? It must have run past the human to get to the position it's in, which seems pretty unlikely (it'd go straight for the throat, I'd imagine). If the human had it's foot in the Hormy's face, trying desperately to push it away that would work much better.
There's something weird going on with the Carnifex (T-Fex?)'s back of the neck; it's too smooth and too big. Putting another bone ridge in there would fix both issues.
The Fex isn't nearly big enough :)

A very solid effort and a million times better than I could do!

Stealth Edit: The detail on the Horms is top-notch; there is literally nothing wrong with their anatomy that I can see, and it's very crisp and clean. An excellent job.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:16 pm 
Medium One

I wanted to keep the blood as far down as possible. Normally I'm all in for lots of gore but I wanted to give it a realistic touch and when you look at real war footage blood doesn't always spray, in fact you often don't even notice it until it had time to seep out of the wounds. The hormagaunt simply didn't just tear the guardsman up. He just landed a precise lethal blow and the corpse didn't have a lot of time to bleed out yet.
As for the central hormie, he went straight for the throat but the guardsman dodged. That's why it is dragging its talon across the ground and swinging its tail in an effort to turn.
As for the carnifex in the background, it is so small because it's farther away. That's also why it is discolored compared to the tyranids in front.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the comment. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:10 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

yea, I really like the pose on the front-most hormie. I noticed the tail instantly, as well as the boot on his side.

The carnifex looks good to me too. The size and discoloration make it obvious it's not yet there, and I see nothing wrong with the neck myself.

The hormie hunched over his kill... I'm not sure. Seems to me that his kill is already confirmed and he might already be looking at a next victim, but that's me.

Also, I might've put a few more nids in view, to increase the swarm aspect. But that's both personal taste and a LOT of work.

As for the blood - the fact you don't see it much in real war photo's is because of the many layers of clothing and the fact that it's bullets, I guess. Might be different from melee weapons. But, to be honest, I didn't do much research into this, so I have really no idea, and you clearly have :)

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:49 pm 
Medium One

vonny wrote:
Also, I might've put a few more nids in view, to increase the swarm aspect. But that's both personal taste and a LOT of work.

There will be a picture like that some time in the future. Not anytime soon though. It'll be a ridiculous amout of work and I'll be going on vacation soon, and the netbook im taking with me is not going to be capable of processing the amount data that file is going to have.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:19 pm 
Great Devourer

I like it Threeshades. The expression on the guardsman and tyranids make the scene. :)

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:22 am 
Hydraphant

Sweetness!

The Colourscheme of the nids is great! And the whole scene work wonderfull! I hope you are working on more?

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:56 pm 
The Red Terror

My favourite part of it is the contrast between the feeling I would have if a Tyranid swarm was attacking a planet I was defending and the feeling I get when I see the sky that shade of blue.

Its a really awesome contrast between two extremes: peace and terror.