Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Orochi Colonies - New bits and bobs [Updated 28/05/12]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:06 pm 
Little One

Evening all,

I've been poking about on here for a while now, and I thought it was about time I made a contribution to Warpshadow. My Tyranids are posted in a few places, so a few people may have seen them before.

I've been collecting Tyranids since their original Codex came out in the 90's. I've sold my various army incarnations a number of times - whenever something distracted me enough to redirect cash in it's direction. As such the army is nowhere near the size it could potentially have been; nevertheless, I've managed to retain some of the older models.

This army spans a couple of years worth of painting, so my style has changed somewhat over that time (the bulk of my Hormagaunts being the oldest, and the Tyrant Guard being some of the newest).
The colouring has also changed over this time - mainly due to the inevitable pigment changes in GW's paint range (original Bleached Bone moved to the newer mix [less yellow], Brown Ink discontinued [I've experimented with Vallejo and Windsor Newton Inks, and the new GW washes], and finally their satin varnish now gives a much more matte finish).

They still look coherent on the table though - I just put the variation down to genetic stock :).

I've gone for a natural, organic look - not a massive fan of brightly coloured space dinosaurs. The army is based heavily around the background and narrative I constantly add to. They're supposed to be a strain of Tyranid that lacks any form of Bio-Ship; as such I wanted them to 'feel' like they could almost be natural predators - part of the eco-system.

The army isn't finished - I think it's moved into the realms of a collection now - therefore I doubt that it will ever be finished!

Anyway, here're some links to my Photobucket account (I'll start with the HQ and slide down to Heavy Support);

Oh, the photo's were taken across this time period too - mismatched lighting within!

HQ
Swarm Tyrants with Guard (Used as a Living Fortress in Apocalypse)
Tyrant Guards 01
Tyrant Guards 02
Brood Guard (Multi-purpose models - usually fielded as Tyrant Guard. I did not make these - I found them on Ebay for a nice price)
Winged Swarm 01
Winged Swarm 02

ELITES
Lictors
Warriors (these were all salvage jobs - donated to me in various states; hence the trimmed head crests on a few)

TROOPS
Termagants
Termagant Close Up
Old-School Termagants (not too shabby for their 3rd coat of paint!)
Spinegaunts
Hormagaunts
Hormagaunt Close Up
Gratuitous Gaunt Swarm Shot!
And Another!
Rippers 01
Rippers 02

FAST ATTACK
Spore Mines
Spore Mines Close Up
Winged Warriors
Winged Warrior Front
Winged Warrior Back

HEAVY SUPPORT
Zoanthropes 01 (Excellent example of the changes wrought by the changes in the paint range - 4th ed models painted with the 'original' paints)
Zoanthropes 02
Carnifex Flavours;
Group
Barbed
Heavy 01
Heavy 02
Screamer (Terrible inking on the claws)

FULL SWARM SHOTS
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

There's some themed terrain in those shots too, I might post them in the relevant forum section later (all those url tags have worn me out
:shock: )

Hope you enjoyed looking at them as much as I've enjoyed painting them.

Comments/Question/Criticisms heartily welcomed - Let me know what you think!

Be Good

-Fox-

Last edited by Dusty Fox on Mon May 28, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:39 pm 
Big One

y'know, i've seen these many times before while browsing the tyranid hive, but not being a member, i've never been able to comment, so i'm glad you've posted them here.
that really is a beautiful army you have there. the streaking on the carapace is fantastic, and the whole lot together look incredible.
you may see the colour changes across the swarm as a minor annoyance, but i think it really helps to stop the swarm looking too monotonous, which can be all to easy with natural colourings like this; variation in carapaces and shine add just enough diversity to keep the swarm looking interesting while still being unified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:26 pm 
Monstrosity

You've got a pretty good-looking swarm there Dusty! I really like those tyrant guard that are converted from the old tyrants.

http://warhammer40kcreator.googlepages.com

"Joey doesn't share food!!!!!!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 pm 
Malanthrope of the Admins

Welcome to Warpshadow - though I think I've already said that.
That is a right nice hive fleet you have created there - some very unique creatures, and an enviable commitment to painting.

Do you have any other photos of the Brood Guard - looks like an old Tyrant carapace added to warrior bodies, with lictor scythe talons? Very nice and spikey, rahter than the more round current generation of guard.

And it's Apocalypse sized, but not not Apocalypse upscaled (gargantuan creatures appear to be missing for you collection?). 8-)

Have you had a gander over in the project forum, and seen the new take on the screamer killer? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:43 am 
Great Devourer

Wow Dusty, that is a great looking army you've got there. It is a good solid colour scheme that looks brilliant en masse, and still nicely detailed up close. And I love that you've put so much effort into all of your bases.

I actually recognise those brood guard. I was amazed when I saw them on ebay as they are almost exactly what I was going to do with my 2nd ed tyrants. But then 5 post-converted ones turned up. I bid a little bit, but it looks like they went to be better home with you. :wink: No doubt if I'd won them they'ed still be in just undercoat.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:03 am 
Hydraphant

I guess i don't say that often, but your army look fantastic!!!

Absolutly great in all the details. The scheme looks great on single model as en masse. The bases look great aswell (And IMO bases are a crucial part of a model) and give them a great flair.

Only thing i would change in the up coming beasts you make, is to make the rills on the legs ( or on the zoanthropes heads) also green. That would alienate them a little and gives some colour without looking out of place.

I guess you guards are the cooles models i have seen sofar for that role!

Keep em coming!

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:54 am 
Biotitan

Very nice army you got there. The colour sheme is awesome. Looks so natural which was your intention - good plan, well done ;)

While Hydra talked about the tyrant guard I looked at your 3 old school carnifex and came up with an idea. Has anyone tried to use the old carnifexes as a base for tyrand guards?? Think about 2 or 3 of these beasts with huge shields left and right??

Maybe I give that a try if I can get my hands on some old fexes ;)

And it would be cool if we could see some more pics of the terrain. Especialy the little things :)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Katan+the+Unleashed
5th Dimension Blog:
http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:20 am 
Great Devourer

Terrorfex wrote:
While Hydra talked about the tyrant guard I looked at your 3 old school carnifex and came up with an idea. Has anyone tried to use the old carnifexes as a base for tyrand guards?? Think about 2 or 3 of these beasts with huge shields left and right??

Like say this? :P

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:06 am 
Little One

Cheers everyone! Glad you approve :).
frankendoodle65 wrote:
You may see the colour changes across the swarm as a minor annoyance, but i think it really helps to stop the swarm looking too monotonous, which can be all to easy with natural colourings like this; variation in carapaces and shine add just enough diversity to keep the swarm looking interesting while still being unified.

Cheers, Frankendoodle! It's good to hear that they 'gel' together enough. I've never thought of the variation breaking the monotonous look of the browns, but you're right ;)

Accommodator wrote:
Do you have any other photos of the Brood Guard - looks like an old Tyrant carapace added to warrior bodies, with lictor scythe talons? Very nice and spikey, rahter than the more round current generation of guard.

And it's Apocalypse sized, but not not Apocalypse upscaled (gargantuan creatures appear to be missing for you collection?). 8-)

Have you had a gander over in the project forum, and seen the new take on the screamer killer? :lol:

The Brood Guard are made from (as far as I can tell);
2nd ed Tyrant - Body and legs.
Current Lictor Scything Talons.
Broodlord Rending Claws.
Warrior Head.
The 'tail' looks like it's just a piece of Extended Carapace (the spiked one).

Here's some other photo's for you, Accommodator;
Side
Front
Rear

Yes, Definitely Apocalypse sized :). But no Gargantuan Creatures as of yet. They're a wee bit pricey for models I'm not 100% fond of. However, if that plastic Trygon rears it's beautiful head.....

Plastic Screamer Killer! Wonderful sculpts that various folks have done. Unfortunately, my competence with Greenstuff is only marginally greater than that of a fish.

Yaleling wrote:
I actually recognise those brood guard. I was amazed when I saw them on ebay as they are almost exactly what I was going to do with my 2nd ed tyrants. But then 5 post-converted ones turned up. I bid a little bit, but it looks like they went to be better home with you. :wink: No doubt if I'd won them they'ed still be in just undercoat.

I was proper impressed at finding them too. I seem to remember there were 5 or 6 available. I got these 3 for around £7 a piece. Considering the sheer cost of the components I thought I got a fairly nice deal.

Hydra wrote:
Only thing i would change in the up coming beasts you make, is to make the rills on the legs ( or on the zoanthropes heads) also green. That would alienate them a little and gives some colour without looking out of place.

Cheers for the advice, Hydra. I'd never thought of doing anything like that - I'll definitely give it a try on some future models.

Terrorfex wrote:
And it would be cool if we could see some more pics of the terrain. Especialy the little things :)

I'll get too it sometime today, Terrorfex :D .

Thanks again, all.

-Fox- :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:14 am 
Biomass

That is a real impressive force you got going there. My favourite shot has to be of the 6 zoanthropes with their cheeky grin! that cracks me up although why 6?

The impressive bit is the paint work on the carapace and the basing. What is the exact model count then and points?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:33 pm 
Biotitan

omg I so love those broodguards and that basing is just as amazing as your fleet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:42 pm 
Biotitan

Yaleling wrote:
Terrorfex wrote:

Like say this? :P

:twisted: Not exactly but something that way. My guard wouldnt have a lash whip. It would look more like pinkys Dactylis with 2 huuuge shields and the tentacles coming from its chest or mouth.

edit: while looking at dustys close up guards I have pictures in mind of the 2 ed tyrant but replacing the lictor talons with shields. maybe I try both ^^

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Katan+the+Unleashed
5th Dimension Blog:
http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:48 am 
Broodling

Waw Dusty, that's a very impressive swarm you have there! I like it alot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:50 am 
Hydraphant

I just re-read your post... do you happen to have written down anything of your background?

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:36 pm 
Little One

Hydra wrote:
I just re-read your post... do you happen to have written down anything of your background?
Yes, I've recently written down a good chunk of it as a Word Document (It was all in note form prior to that).

Do you want a copy?

-Fox-