Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Hive Fleet Gorgon - Ferron Splinter Fleet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:11 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I saw news of this first on facebook, when people from my local store 'liked' your bols forum post :)

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:14 am 
Little One

It was late on in the incursion of Ferron Proxima that Hive Fleet Gorgon introduced a new bio-menace.The tactics so far had usually followed a path of bio-engineering a new bioform that would threaten Ferron's defences and that way the Hive Mind could ascertain whether it was worth committing further resources to that bioform. However in this instance three new bioforms were created and deployed under the watchful gaze of the tried and tested Zoanthope genus.

[Open in new window]

Having the enhanced brain capacity of the Zoanthrope alongside these three new test subjects would allow the Hive to monitor their progress, strengths and weaknesses in real time and at an accelarated pace compared to it's previous prototyping tests. As these four abominations were often seen within close proximity to each other the valiant defenders of Ferron proxima took to calling them the 'Four Horsemen of the Ferron Apocalypse' in referrence to the ancient Terran fables. At first this naming practice was overlooked. up until the the very words 'Four Horsemen' began to bring about the unmanning of the most staunch auxillia in the PDF. Once this fear started to spread members of th Astra Militarum Commissariat were deployed to submit fatal alternatives to the grip of fear. In truth though the names were continued to be spoken, just in more hushed tones, while the light of terror in their eyes shone on regardless.

[Open in new window]

The Hive Mind's conduit was nicknamed 'Famine', in part because it was initially thought to be a reincarnation of the 'Doom of Ferron Proxima'. However, this was a case of mistaken identity and although it did not have the life sucking powers of that nightmare creature it did posses many other skills of the emperian. Although it was not initially considered the most threatening of it's twisted bretheren it's Psychic abilities received an unexpected boost when the 7 planets within the Ferron system aligned causing an unexpected change the manifestation of all Psychic powers within the system. Sanctioned Psykers of the Imperium have begun referring to this change as the 'Phase'. It's too early to tell what impact it will have on Hive Fleet's control of it's witch powers but so far there have been great improvements alongside drastic failures.

Despite it's fragile outer structure Famine controls all four of the Horsemen as an extension of the Hive Mind, it's recommended by the Bio-magi studying this new danger that despite it's lower threat level than it's brothers it should be considered target priority Alpha, to sever the connection between the other Horsemen and the Hive Mind.

[Open in new window]

If appearance alone be the judge of danger then this creature from the Carnifex family would otherwise be considered target priority Alpha. The creature itself is a Behemoth, a nigh unstoppable bio-tank armed with some of the most potent Brainleech Devourers the Xenos can engineer. Although not as manoeuvrable as the winged Hive Tyrant that also can be found armed with such weaponry this creature, dubbed 'War' due to it uncompromising battlefield role, advances under the protection of it's siblings. It uses the mental fortitude of Famine whilst being protected under the cloud of Pestilence...

[Open in new window]

..this foul, loathsome creature is still much a mystery to the bio-magi. It seems to contain and exhude some of the most virulent toxins and poisons ever encountered on Ferron Proxima. Gaining samples have proved extremely fatal. The creature is shrouded by a toxic mist that obscures most of it's biological functions and also manages to cover the advance of it's siblings and other creature from the Xeno's threat.

Due it's Toxic nature the nickname Pestilence was adopted. Despite its slender size and less fearsome appearance it is often this creature that will terrify more than the rest of the Horsemen. For what can a man do, even one blessed by the Emperor [insomuch as that man was conscripted into the PDF and there by default MUST be blessed] when behind those writhing tentacles and slime dripping maw once could die instantly just by being close to this abomination.

[Open in new window]

Yet for all Pestilence's fatal characteristics it is this Lictor that has earned the moniker - 'Death'. For it is death incarnate, an untimely end no one can foresee. Often striking from the shadows, having patiently stalked it's prey. With an adaptive camouflage that can help it blend into it's surroundings usually the first sign of it's presence is the mantis like talons that have suddenly appeared protruding from a Guardman's chest. Identification of this member of the four horsemen has been the hardest as it's given role of the fourrequires it to range further ahead than it's bretheren, even beyond the control of Famine and given this level of autonomy quite often the connection between the four has not been made. rest assured though that if you see one of these creatures the rest will surely follow but whether you see all four at once depends on if you survive the meeting or whether they choose to reveal themselves.

[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:56 pm 
Medium One

Like these guys very much. Especially pestilence's lovely gooey looking tendrils.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:00 pm 
Big One

They are mint.

Are you using them in your games according to your fluff (which is awesome too)?

harald

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:26 pm 
Little One

Harald wrote:
They are mint.

Are you using them in your games according to your fluff (which is awesome too)?

harald

Not yet, but I hope to give it a go. Currently I'm preparing for a tournament and I never imagined I'd get all of them done so only have the Lictor proxying as Deathleaper, the Zoanthrope and the Carnifex, but maybe Pestilence is creeping around in the background somewhere?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:38 pm 
Great Devourer

These 4 look great in your colours Dwez. The devilfex looks intimidating in all the ways that a devilfexes with spindly little arms usually doesn't. But my favourite is the lictor - It just looks so creepy with dark face and skin against the bright chitin. :)

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:16 pm 
Little One

Although there has recently been little evidence of activity from Hive Fleet Gorgon on Ferron Proxima, the truth is the exact opposite. Much of it's biomass was siphoned off to create many of the larger monstrous creatures and now that it has suffered heavy losses of those same monsters the Hive Mind has adapted once again. It has exerted its will over creatures already inhabiting the red planet and swelling their numbers with raw recruits. If the great Devourer cannot smash it's way into subduing the planet it will infiltrate its way, as it was before so will it be again.

[Open in new window]

The Genestealer is rightly feared is the premier close combat unit in the 41st millennium although the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer would describe them as 'generally slow and sluggis' with 'puny claws' and 'short, multi-jointed limbs'. The truth is they are far from slow and their claws are as sharp and tough as adamantium, however they seem to be clad in chitinous armour that is so weak and brittle that bio-magi have spent considerable research hours trying to puzzle why the Hive Mind has employed tiny bio-organisms to regurgitate this feeble resinous armour substance onto the Genestealers. The whole process is convoluted, inefficient and above all the armour is practically useless.

[Open in new window]

But the real problem is not their ability to render limb from limb nor is their inherent weakness a cause to praise the Emperor, for their numbers are legion and they are everywhere it seems. Where before they would appear, lurking in no man's land, just flitting shadows moving from one ruin to the next; now we find them in the next building or the very rubble the honoored defenders of Ferron Proxima take cover from. As battle is joined these brave men, women and Astartes will discover the area they had secured before battle is joined is suddenly infested with these foul beasts.

[Open in new window]

What's worse is they will not immediately burst forth from the rubble, but lurk in the corners and rubble, usually revealing themselves at night and hiding. With such a dangerously close threat often the brave soldiers will unleash all their fire power to clear the area, only for the Genestealer to melt into the ruins or duck down, waiting, lurking, for some inexplicable signal to leave the confines of the manufactorums and derelict structures. Often this signal is the arrival of the great winged Hive Tyrants that have been seen to lead the hordes of aliens but also it can be that the brood of Genestealers that were targeted were not alone, that more broods hide behind them and all along while the closest threat was trying to be dealt with the ravening hordes are upon you - chose wisely your next target

[Open in new window]

To see more of these foul creatures point your cogitators here: http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07 ... -more.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:13 am 
Little One

Among the many monsters that have found their way to Ferron Proxima the Spawn of Proxima is one of the most fear-inducing. Biomagi are still not entirely sure how disparate Hive Fleets are able to bio-engineer organisms to a similar template despite little inter-fleet contact. It's often seen as a primary goal of all servants of the Emperor to ensure the co-mingling of Hive Fleets, and therefore the transference of resources, tactics, alien intelligence and enhanced evolutionary expereiences, is the greatest threat of the Xenos. However, if confirmed identification of specific genus types above and beyond the standard bioform prove, inter-species contact is not essential for the alien Hive to adapt beyond the confines of it's own fleet biologies.

[Open in new window]

The Spawn of Proxima is one such construct. Alpha-level Bio-magi have traced it's origin to a conflict in the Baal system where a beast matching it's description, known locally as the Spawn of Cryptus, appeared as a vanguard to an incurseion by Hive Fleet Leviathan. To date there has been little indication that Leviathan, Gorgon or the Ferron Splinter Fleet of gorgon have ever been in direct contact with each other. That's not to say in the deepest darkest reaches of space there hasn't been a meeting of alien minds, better that than the concept these different fleets are communicating across the void through some other obscene alien conduit.

[Open in new window]

The Spawn of Proxima has behaved in exactly the same manner as it's progenitor, surrounding itself with a brood of highly aggressive betaloned Genestealers that seem to emerge from the shadows at will before slinking off leaving the warm fetid remains of their unfortunate victims.

[Open in new window]

Even now though elements of the First Legion are arriving at the Ferron Space Ports ready to tackle this new threat. His appearances have increased as many of the Genestealer incursions within the Manufactorum districts has reduced. Once again it 's difficult to decipher if this is a redistribution of organisms, and evolution of its grand alien plan or the constant heroic defence of Ferron Proxima has dealt a death blow for one threat only to be faced by a more focused but deadly enemy. Only time will tell but time is something not on our sides as Hive Fleet Gorgon continues to try and Xenoform Ferron Proxima. The more it can convert the natural biology to their alien filth the greater chance of losing this valuable planet.

[Open in new window]

To see more of the Spawn of Prooxima point your cogitators here: http://40kaddict.blogspot.com/2015/01/n ... yptus.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:43 pm 
Big One

nicely painted and great fluff again.
hrld

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:18 am 
Little One

For a variety of reasons I've not kept up my forum posting quite as I used to. Most of the forums are inaccessible at work and finding time, while keeping up my blog and various other personal projects, just hasn't been possible. That said it's worth noting that Hive Fleet Gorgon has had a number of reinforcements over the last two years, so it might be worthwhile at least recordign those efforts here.

With 8th Edition still warm in my hands it seems odd to be showcasing a dakkafex. It seems bare-bones and screamer-killer may be the sensible choice but I still love the model

[Open in new window]

Obviously Devourers with Brainleech Worms have been superceded by the all new and all disgusting Deathspitter with Slimer Maggots [I look forward to the Codex and reading up on this new form of living ammunition]. But given I've been proxying Fleshborer Hives for Devourers I'm not fussed if they now proxy as Deathspitters.

[Open in new window]

However, thanks to the wonders of magnetisation I may well look to make some Monstrous Deathspitters up in due course. At the time I only had the two Carnifex, I've since added a third but here are the original brothers.

[Open in new window]

If you wish to see more pics, point your cogitators here: http://www.40kaddict.uk/2015/03/nids-pa ... -done.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:48 am 
Little One

Those reasons still keep getting in the way of sharing how my Hive Fleet Gorgon has progressed, in fact this latest update was form a model completed in March 2015! Maybe one day I'll find time to catch up with everything. So I give you my Malanthrope

[Open in new window]

Obviously this go is fast becoming an 'auto-include' for most nid players, despite the fact I think he took quite a few hits in his 8th incarnation. In fairness his 7th rules went on and on and on, and he's probably far more balanced now but he's definitely not quite as good.

[Open in new window]

Still he's a really impressive looking model, I recall my local GW Store Manager didn't even know what it was when I used it in my Armies on Parade display that year - they thought it was a conversion! Most of the current conversions look pretty awesome though, using Tyrant tails and Carnifex bodies etc. In the mean time I'm particularly proud of it's toxic trail of death and slime it left behind.

[Open in new window]

If you wish to see more pics point your cogitators here: http://www.40kaddict.uk/2015/03/nids-pa ... -done.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:20 am 
Little One

If you're in the UK there's a small independent tournament that has been around for 5 or 6 years called Blog Wars. Orignally it was a tournament for bloggers but it evolved into a more inclusive event until it reached it's peak at Blog Wars X. The event aimed to be unique in that army choice HAD to include a Special Named Character, it was also famous for the raffle prizes which everyone is entered into and is often worth more than winning the tournament - I won a Deathwatch Overkill box! Anyway, I went repeatedly with Deathleaper as my Special Character and one year actually painted the model!

[Open in new window]

He was universally rubbish, I think in only a couple of games out of nine he justified his inclusion, invariably because he hid for the entire game eventually scoring an objective. I'd also take him as my Warlord, and he'd be killed before utilising his trait until I stopped, nominated another model as Warlord and in the subsequent game he actually killed a character which finally would have confered the benfits from his trait!

[Open in new window]

I've not got around to using him in 8th yet, I think he's equally hit-and-miss but I do like the model and the base in particular was fun to do with my dubious freehand skills picking out the blogger logo on the banner to celebrate the tournament.

[Open in new window]

If you wish to see more pics point your cogitators here: http://www.40kaddict.uk/2015/05/nids-pa ... -done.html
If you wish to know more about the upcoming Blog Wars replacment - Nevermind the Blog Wars, point your cogitators here: http://fromthefang.blogspot.com/p/never ... -2017.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:42 am 
Little One

One element of being a 'nid player has always felt special for me. Despite many GW practices there was at least one thing we got that a lot of other factions failed to receive - our own objective markers... Well I always perceived the little Hive Nodes you would get in Genestealer and the Macragge sets as perfect for using to demarcate objectives.

[Open in new window]

Obviously when 6th hit and Maelstrom missions became a thing having objectives numbered one to six was vital, but on top of that we needed extra 2's and 3's for that Eternal War mission[if forget which]. So I went in search of a fair few as it was apparent I'd need to kitbash a couple together to make up the bigger objectives and the spares.

[Open in new window]

To this day I still see lots of people asking what they are and what they're for on forums to which I share this most practical application. Amusingly despit using them many times there are still occassions where my opponent will look confused when I hand them over and say "that's a 4, 5 and 6" and they'll say "how do you know?" I guess it's the Xenos in me that just sees the node points, perhaps as a non-xenos player they're just horrified by them instead of counting them ;0

[Open in new window]

Do you want to know more? Point your cogitators here: http://www.40kaddict.uk/2015/06/nids-pa ... rkers.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:31 pm 
Zoatibix

These are awesome - great work. I may have to steal that idea. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:03 am 
Little One

HiveFleetManticore wrote:
These are awesome - great work. I may have to steal that idea. :)

You cannot steal what is freely given :wink: help yourself.