Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 30k Mechanicum v Nids
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:45 pm 
Medium One

How would you face off against a 30k Mechanicum player that fields numerous T6, T7 & T8 droids? That seem to all have 4 wounds and the ubiquitous 3+ [and feel no pain].

I'm pretty sure that the word Toxin Sacs will be key to the answer, but I'm having trouble coming up with a comprehensive strategy apart from a twinned broods of 30 Hormagaunts dripping with Venom. The game will be 1500 points and for the purposes of this mission S4 and higher attacks all have rending; anything that is already rending now rends on a 5+.

Usually I don't like to customize my list much to fight a particular opponent, but this is the second part of a campaign mission and I think that some adaptation is needed for "fluff" reasons. Additionally they won the last mission and will be able to deploy 6 inches further forward than I will (Did someone say first turn charges?).

The mission has 3 objectives [radio towers] that need to be repaired (think he repairs on a 3+) once 2 have been repaired the game is over. They can only be repaired if they are not contested. I tried drowning him in gaunts last mission and he was able to shoot me to ribbons. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 30k Mechanicum v Nids
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:05 am 
Medium One

Rending brain leech devourers sound nice...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:01 am 
Big One

You could also take a ton of non upgraded gaunts to use as a screen for the more expensive poisoned hormagaunts. That way the hormagaunts get a 3+ cover save if they are close to a venomthrope or malanthrope. Plus the termagants can chain back and get a 5+ save themselves. If they ignore the termagants you can use them to bog down some of the robots units and kill them one unit at a time.

I once beat a list with 3 wraithknights (before they became gargants) with termagants to tie them up and then charging them with carnifexes.

100 termagants is not a lot of points and the rending will be nice.

Also try to get the night fighting warlord trait.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:10 am 
Big One

you got any hive gaurds? impaler cannons are still a reliable option (24" S8) if you want focus melee try shrikes/ravener's 12" movment and fleet may let you turn that first turn charge into your own benefit. if your talking strictly troop options warrior(+alpha if you can) sounds sexy with a handful of deathspitter + rending or a venom cannon even just for the small blast rending may get lucky to hit something else too close

personally im a fan of ravener's for their tail extra attack(s) and able to ignore terrain for charging (beasts special rules) but shrikes offer more ranged weapons and of course synapse. and can give either rending for cheap and take advantage of that S5

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:52 pm 
Hatchling

I would consider some Adrenal Gland genestealers. If I remember right, the 30k mechanicum robots can cause poisoned attacks to be re-rolled due to the mostly inorganic parts, but then Haywire does extra damage on a 6. Adrenal gland stealers will rend with every wound they deal on the charge and strike first.