Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Swarmlord and Tyrant Guard... Now with Tyrannocytes!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:04 am 
Biotitan

A common complaint about using the Swarmlord is he takes forever to walk up the board. The tax of 2-3 Tyrant Guard to preserve him long enough to deliver into close combat is an expensive tax to play and it doesn't take much for the opponent to avoid him. In the past I DS'd him into play with a Tyrannocyte alone with mixed results, but most of the time he wouldn't last to the end of the game thanks to focused fire despite my best efforts to put him on a flank with LoS blocking terrain in between him and the more distant shooting units.

The idea of DSing the Swarmlord in one Tyrannocyte and a Tyrant Guard in another isn't new but was often dismissed for several reasons:
  • One of them doesn't make the Reserve roll
  • One of them scatters too far, making it impossible for the two units to join up

I took the time to theorize this and realized that the rewards far outweigh the risks. Indeed, the risks aren't that high at all, especially if you take advantage of the board configuration and Tyrannocyte scatter shortage to your advantage.

FAILING A RESERVE ROLL
Yes, this could happen. The chances of it happening, however, aren't great. Barring opponent rules (e.g. Warlord traits or other unit specific Special Rules) that skew the roll, you're going to get both of them on Turn 2 72% of the time. Not bad. In the event you fail this, though, you can still protect your sole arriving unit by DSing in a safe area on the board to await the other unit's arrival the following turn. Where you land can still outpace where the combined unit would've been had it slogged from the beginning and would be less the worse for wear.

Success leads to tremendous presence far more forward than you otherwise would be. A veritable Death Star unit appearing out of nowhere will certainly command attention, but in a list that's CC oriented and includes several other DSing units to pressure the opponent's backfield will help disperse some shots away from it.

SCATTERING TOO FAR FROM ONE ANOTHER
With the ability to disembark 6" upon arriving, this concern is far less so in 7e. There is a definite technique to employ to virtually guarantee the two units combine and it isn't very difficult at all to accomplish. To illustrate here is a diagram to point out how to employ.

[Open in new window]

The first unit deployed from DS is the Tyrant Guard's Tyrannocyte. As the models disembark you do so with the three Tyrant Guard forming a "U" shape such that the bottom of the "U" is closest to the Tyrannocyte and the other two are 6" out in either direction but still within 2" of the center Tyrant Guard. Once deployed, place the Swarmlord's Tyrannocyte right next to the center Tyrant Guard. If it arrives spot on you can disembark the Swarmlord to either side so it's within 2" of one of the other two TG models. Scattering into the direction of the TG or Tyrannocyte will almost always lead to a retreat back to the original position, but even if it doesn't (in the directions where the edge Tyrant Guards are situated), you have a good 6" before the SL Tyrannocyte clears them to arrive on the other side. Rolling a 12" scatter in either direction still leaves you 6" away, which your SL can easily compensate for on the disembark to get into coherency and join them.

The only danger is scattering straight away from the center Tyrant Guard. In order to make coherency you have an 8" buffer: 6" disembark + 2" coherency. This can be mitigated by angling the "U" so that what's "above" the "U" is another unit--friend or foe--to allow the horribly scattering Tyrannocyte to retreat back towards the Guard per its Drop Pod scatter adjustment rule. Your own advancing units on Turn 1 can help with this mitigation of the worst case scenario to give you an incredibly high probability of success getting the two units together.

I tried this out and it worked quite well. It also gave my opponent a coronary. :twisted: Because I had a Skytyrant Swarm bearing down on him, too, he had to split his fire between the two targets.

Thought I would share this tactic and give the DSing Death Star some consideration in your armies.

Post subject: Re: Swarmlord and Tyrant Guard... Now with Tyrannocytes!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:02 am 
Big One

That sounds really cool. Might give it a try as i always wanted to field die SL, but never found usefull way of deploying him.
hrld

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

Post subject: Re: Swarmlord and Tyrant Guard... Now with Tyrannocytes!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:04 pm 
Biotitan

It's quite fun to execute. Your opponent is none too pleased about it, so that only adds to the gratification. :mrgreen: