[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Warpshadow.com • View topic - Walking Tyrants, Tervigons, Harpies and Trygons

Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Walking Tyrants, Tervigons, Harpies and Trygons
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:37 pm 
Little One

Hey all,

looking to the Hive Mind for help on a few units that I haven't used and ones that I feel I'm not using effectively. My main opponents are Tau, Orks and Guard with the occasional smattering of Marines, so you might be able to help more easily.

Walking Tyrants
So I'm a big fan of running a walking Tyrant, classic with HVC and LW+BS, adding Guard to season. I never seem to really achieve anything with them though and the Guard seem to drop like flies, especially considering how expensive they are. Should I be keeping my Tyrant central and playing aggressively with them? Or using them as a flank denial? I often play in smaller point games, so I find this quite a weighty purchase, looking at 300+ points, but at the same time can't afford not to take the Guard.

Tervigons
I don't have a Tervigon, and I kinda do want one I must say, but at the same time, every time I pre-emptively roll the 3D6, I get a double first try. And I know a couple of other Nid players who have the same experience whent hey use thier Tervigons. Is that massive point-sink really worth it? And what's the best way to use them? Centralised unit I'm guessing? Or back-field objective holder?

Harpies
Never had or used one, but I love the idea of them, especially that scream attack. However, how do people use them? Obviously Skyblight formation is popular, so people clearly take Harpies. But are they ever intended to get into combat? Or just be used as a troop harasser?

Trygons
I love the big snakey beast, but I always find the subterranean tunnels are useless (it ends up the stuff comes in before or at the same time as the Trygon) and I don't really know what else they're good for. Should I be spending the points and getting a Prime instead for the tasty synapse, as well as opening up options for the bio-artefacts? I've heard tale of Trygon Primes with the Reaper doing well. A big investment, but worth it maybe? And should I be starting the Trygon on the board, using it to support other units?

Tactics wise, I feel like running 2 of something, eg. Tyrannofex; Haruspex etc. is more threatening to your opponent and gives them a tougher choice than say, taking a variety. For example, playing against Tau today, I took a Haruspex and a Tyrannofex, but I feel I would have been better served taking 2 Tyrannofex. Is that something anyone else has noticed? Or do people only run 1 of something in general?

Cheers
Iron Nid.

Post subject: Re: Walking Tyrants, Tervigons, Harpies and Trygons
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:30 am 
Little One

Last edited by PolishSwarm on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:46 am 
Little One

Well, I'll start by saying that I asked for advice on how to use the stuff, not just to get told 'these units are crap don't use them blah blah.'

I am not, never have, and never will be a competitive player, so as much as I appreciate a competitive view point, getting told Flyrants Flyrants Flyrants every time is of little use.

As to walking tyrant with LW/BS/HVC as a classic, that's just how I always picture them and how they seem to be majoritally represented in fluff, art work etc. That's why I said classic, not because they are amazing in-game or whatever. My LW/BS walking Tyrant has his gun magnetised, so I can equip him with any of the gun options.

I'd also note that I don't take flyers against people who don't take flyers for the sake of fairness. My Crone and Flyrants do an absolute number on my Ork, Tau and Guard opponents and without flyers, they find them incredibly hard to remove. I'll reiterate, I play for fun and for my opponent to have fun, so putting them up against something like that, I just don't appreciate.

I enjoy my Haruspex. Is he great? No. Has he had his moments? Yes. I love the model, the fluff and just yeah, getting those fun in-game moments. I don't expect him to do a lot, but when he does, it's great.

So I appreciate your input, but it's hard to take anything away from it when you've basically just said 'don't use any of the units.' I imagine that would mean that 3/4 of our codex, if not more, you just wouldn't touch. I understand why people like competitive play, I just don't and noone I have games against, bar one Eldar player, plays in such a way. I get a lot of fun out of using different units or combinations that I haven't tried before.

Iron Nid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:33 pm 
Biotitan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:20 pm 
Great Devourer

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:00 pm 
Big One

All the nid big beasts lack one key thing, an invulnerable save. You need to rely on cover, take malanthropes to support the big bugs or a few venomthropes. If you can hide them out of LOS on turn 1, it means you will get some covers saves on turn 1, then you pop out on turn 2 and it might take an army an entire turn to kill 2-3 venomtropes or 1 malanthrope if you can keep them in a ruin. You can screen your big guys with a wall of gaunts that daisy chain all the way back to the malanthrope so that the gaunts get a 5+ in the open and the big guys behind get a 3+ if you can't find cover on the way. Try to roll the night fighting warlord trait. Yes some armies ignore cover but most won't have too many units of it. If you don't like flyrants, try biovores to take out Tau pathfinders and bye bye marker lights.

Based on the cover strategy all the bugs you suggested would function the same, hug cover (its more important to be in cover then come out and try a risky charge) only get out of cover when you are sure you are going to do some damage.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:29 pm 
Little One