Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gargoyles in competitive
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:22 pm 
Broodling

I'm going to run Skyblight in next tournament I'm taking part in. I wonder is toxin sacs useful upgrade for gargoyles in tournament. Toxin sacs aren't too expensive and the chance of respawning makes them more worthy.

I would take toxin sacs mainly against Riptides and Wraithknights (auto includes). I want to deal damage with gargoyles rather than lock up in combat. When done little math I came to the conclusion that Wraithknight take more wounds and kills more gargoyles in combat than Riptide. Gargoyles deals about three wounds to Wraithknight and barely one to Riptide.

Tarpit is a good tactic when you want a particular unit disabled for 2-3 turns, but I would like gargoyles could fly freely to get maelstorm points and distract by both guns and poisoning combat. My list only has 1x3 ripper swarm and 3x10 gargoyles so not very much objective grabbers.

I believe that the toxin sacs would be useful, as they do a lot of wounds regardless of the toughness of the foe. And in Skyblight formation there is 50/50 chance they come back to continue their harassing work. I use gargoyles against Riptides and Wraithknights, because I could use Flyrants, Harpies and Hive Crone to other units than these fire magnets. Then I can kill weaker units (because they die faster), then opponent lose his units in early game and he will struggle at the end. So, Gargoyles' role is to get some maelstorms and then soften these fire magnets.

Adrenal glands cost the same price as the toxin sacs, but the glands present mainly in order to improve the run move. Gargoyles don’t need Fleet because they get reroll to charge from jump move in assault phase, so the Fleet is only good when jumps 12" and charges. You get furious charge, but you lose hammer of wrath. Which one is better? Toxin sacs or Adrenal glands? Or both of them? I say Toxin sacs.

Gargoyles’ problem is synapse and they really need it. They need fearless, so they won’t get pinned or fall back. Instinctive behavior screws up everything here, forced to shoot the closest, and can’t assault. And gargoyles want to assault and use those toxin sacs (if equipped). Flyrants give me synapse around the board when needed, where Dominion come in handy. That’s it. Without synapse - gargoyles are garbage.

What you think of these things? Is toxin sacs good idea or total waste?

Post subject: Re: Gargoyles in competitive
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:12 pm 
Big One

If you're running into the new khorne daemonkin, toxin sacks will definitely help grind down those nasty free bloodthirsters they get. I say take em.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:11 pm 
Little One

Last edited by PolishSwarm on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:14 pm 
Little One

Last edited by PolishSwarm on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:05 pm 
Broodling

PolishSwarm wrote:
Skyblight is a formation with only one synapse creature, so I hope You take CAD\Hive Fleet to aid it. Crones and harpies are ld 10 so they don't need synapse that bad, but gargoyles will fall back due to losses in both shooting and assault phases. I usually take 2 tyrants and 2 crones + deepstriking ripper swarms.

I'm using CAD with 2 Flyrants + Skyblight. So 3 synapse creatures should work well because those three gargoyle units are only ones that need synapse.
PolishSwarm wrote:
As for harpies they work better wih HVCs. S9 is a nice option against vehicles. Against infantry You can still use bombs.

Both of my Harpies have HVCs. The best option against vehicles after Haywire weapons in my list. S9 also causes ID against T4 models. Why not to try kill with such strength.