Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fate of Hierodule
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:11 am 
Little One

Last edited by PolishSwarm on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fate of Hierodule
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:47 pm 
Little One

first thing. the barbed hierodule is balanced perfectly for its points. it is one of the few things in the tyranid lineup that can boast that.

i regularly take one, and at first people were scared of it, but then they learned that it is not difficult to kill. yes, a knight will kill it in close combat... but the hiero can take the knight out at range and move just as fast as the knight can. the S10 is huge for taking out vehicles, but AP3 means you cannot explode anything, so it cant outright kill something with anything less that stripping the hullpoints. in addition, BS3 means you statistically only get 6 hits...

four words best describe a hiero. long range fire support. if you are assaulting in with it, you are asking to get it killed. it has 48 inch range, use that to your advantage. yes, position it to be a threat and a fire magnet... but remember it comes with FNP5+ by default, and a venomthrope or malanthrope can give it a nice 5+ cover... better if there are interviening models of sufficient size. that being said, ive still lost my hiero to rolling 1s and 2s for my saves... and only 6 wounds can have it crumple pretty quickly.

as for in close combat, only enemies who are S10 will be wounding on 2s against him, and even MELTA BOMBS only wound on 4s. krak grenades on 6s... and then he still gets his FNP. he has base attacks that are sufficient to seriously hurt any vehicle in close combat with him. GCs are immune to poison, so it only wounds on 6s.. though they still have to worry about fleshbane... and finally they get to stomp at I1.... simul with power fists and other special melee things that could hurt it.

as for what you can take instead? yes, you COULD take the other combos you mentioned... but for example, the two pods of zoanthropes... you have to pass a psychic test, not mess up with perils, roll to hit, and then roll to wound/hullpoint the vehicle...

three crones with haywire? those are one shot each. blow all 12 and you have nothing left. the hiero has 12 shots EVERY turn.

bringing an IK with tyranids? better keep that knight at least 12 inches away from the bugs at all times or both sides of your army might not do anything. which is kinda hard seeing as where you want your bugs to go, generally you want the knight to go as well.

competitive play: i brought my hiero to a tournement last weekend. i had three wins and two losses... and both the losses i had were to eldar waveserpent spam (first loss i couldnt roll a 3+ save to save my life and he was rolling 5+ like it was 2+) not a single opponent thought that the hiero was overpowered... if anything they complained more about my malanthrope than the hiero... and i knot ran a single malanthrope...

and finally, the elephant in the room that nobody talks about. target priority games.

this is a MUST LEARN for anyone who wants to enjoy their bugs to the most potential. a T8 creature on the board means that simply using S5 and S6 weapons against your army will not cut it... meaning they have to dedicate the heavy firepower against it to have a good chance at hurting it. similar to how wraithknights can be so tough to deal with.. this then takes the S8 pressure off everything else in your army. warriors, raveners, biovores, lictors, and so many other T4 units we have are now less likely to be hit with those heavy weapons and instant-killed, allowing them to do the jobs they are meant to do. gods know that those flying tyrants are not actually drawing any of that firepower away...

throw enough targets that are threats at the enemy and make them choose what they have to focus on first and that will seriously hamper their strategies. do i fire my krak missles at the hiero, the tyrannofex infront of it, or the malanthrope behind it giving both of them cover... all lascannons fire on that GC... what? i only did two wounds because of cover? and now carnifexes are within charge range?

several times ive had an opponent pour _EVERYTHING_ in his army at the hiero and only seriously wound it... leaving me to advance my acid spray tfex and my exocrine without any problems... and then next turn he has to decide if he is going to finish off the hiero, or focus on the threats that are about to overwhelm him.

TL;DR IMHO hieros are awesome, worth their points in every game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:08 am 
Little One

Last edited by PolishSwarm on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 am 
Big One

Lol if you're getting only a 5+ cover save from a malanthrope on your hierodule. Stick a toe in a ruin for a 2+, there's no 25% cover rule for MC or GMC any more. So for backfield fire support, 6 wounds at T8 with 2+ cover save and 5+ FNP is very hard for most armies to kill. They need a combination of a unit with lots of high strength or ignore toughness shots AND ignores cover.

I took my hierodule to the las vegas open and lost it in two out of 6 games - grav centurions with ignores cover will just erase it and so will pen chip crisis suits. Most other units will struggle to scratch it at range, it's amazing what it can shrug off. What I wish I could tell myself with hindsight is... if you see grav centurions with IC, just reserve it on. Losing first blood and your LoW is ugly! Or you could bring a void shield generator, then you ignore grav completely...

It can do an incredible amount of damage and brings a lot to the table. The ability to reach out and touch units with all those S10 shots across the table is huge, and very deadly for knights. If there's a hierodule on the board they pretty much have to put their shields on the hierodule's facing, which typically leaves sides and back open to flyrant shots and warp blasts. Stomps negate the protection of a lot of deathstar armies - removing an invisible draigo from the table on a 6 is pretty priceless, and something everything else in your army will struggle to do. A knight in combat with a dule will strike simultaneously, so there's a good chance both will die.

Hierodule's are expensive and you can do a lot of other things with the points (like MSU lictors... which won the vegas open) but they bring a lot of useful tools to your army and you get to play with a godzilla model.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:46 pm 
Little One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:15 pm 
Big One

Yep, it's not a silver bullet. If anything the winning list at Vegas proves that multiple lictors and mawlocs can be more effective at scoring and hiding in maelstrom missions and also have a very high damage output. I guess it'll depend on the missions etc... in a killpoint game sinking points into a high damage output unit you can't kill is great, if you need to score on six maelstrom objectives the mawlocs and lictors will clean up.

The nice thing about Mawlocs - when your MCs evaporate to that ignores cover centurion squad, it's really better to stay off the table even if you have a chance of a mishap killing you. I ran a lictor and mawloc list for a while in 6th and had fun with it, and maelstrom missions and flexible force orgs mean it's quite a bit better than back when I was running it.