Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Starting Off
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:47 pm 
Biomass

I'll be starting off an army soon. I've never collected or played Warhammer. I'm aiming for about 1000pts to begin with.

What's a good, competitive list at 1000pts roughly. And what models should I buy and how should I equip them?

I know a lot of people say it comes down to your play style, but I'm sure some weapons are better than others for our beloved bugs!

A lot of people go carnifex with twin devourers.

Thoughts and able to provide me with a sample army list and possibly some models to buy?

I was pretty keen on getting that Shield of Baal one with the Blood Angels in it, also cause it comes with a rulebook!

Post subject: Re: Starting Off
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:21 pm 
Big One

MTM wrote:
I'll be starting off an army soon. I've never collected or played Warhammer. I'm aiming for about 1000pts to begin with.

What's a good, competitive list at 1000pts roughly. And what models should I buy and how should I equip them?

I know a lot of people say it comes down to your play style, but I'm sure some weapons are better than others for our beloved bugs!

A lot of people go carnifex with twin devourers.

Thoughts and able to provide me with a sample army list and possibly some models to buy?

I was pretty keen on getting that Shield of Baal one with the Blood Angels in it, also cause it comes with a rulebook!

At 1000 points, about the toughest I can come up with is the following but its pretty boring. If you are a new player I would try out all kinds of things and see what you like. It also depends on how competitive you want to be.

1000 Nids-MC Spam
HQ 1 Flyrant with Dual Devourers and Electro Shock Grubs 240
1 Flyrant with Dual Devourers and Electro Shock Grubs 240

E 1 Venomthrope 45
1 Venomthrope 45

H 1 Carnifex with Dual Devourers and Adrenalin Glands 165
1 Carnifex with Dual Devourers and Adrenalin Glands 165

T 13 Termagaunts 52
12 Termagaunts 48

Models 31 Total Points 1000

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:24 pm 
Hatchling

I'd say go for the SoB set for the value factor.

its great for the cost and if you don't want the blood angels you can sell them off and it becomes an even better deal.
(alternatively get an interested friend to go halves on SoB for the BAs and start playing with you, games are better with friends :D )
you'll still need more units to make up your full army of course but you aren't off to a bad start with that. obligatory troops filled and a fex and a limited edition model (b~_^)b

as for actual usefulness of starting units it depends on your tactics, I'm here for the evolving aliens not the meta so I can't get too deep on this, but the common thing everyone seems to have:
Flyrant with dual tl devos and ES grubs.
Don't think you can go wrong with one of those for one of your HQ slots.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:51 am 
Great Devourer

Hi MTM, welcome to Warpshadow. :D

MTM wrote:
That boxed set is a pretty good. I like warriors but the three in the set are too few for an effective brood. (I reckon you need 4-6 to be viable.) If you are collecting on the cheap you should be able to pick up some second-hand warriors, and combined with the Shield of Baal warriors you could equip them however you like.

TheVikingArtist and xsquidz have already given solid advice. I'd also suggest an indulging whatever it was that made you want to play tyranids. For me it is zoanthropes (with a side order of hormagaunts). I rarely field an army without either of them. ;) There are very few actually bad units in the codex, so once you have an effective core you feel you can play happily with chuck in your favourites - you probably won't do any harm to your chances of winning, and it ends up more fun.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:13 am 
Little One

Last edited by PolishSwarm on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:25 pm 
Broodling

I played with 1000 pts list in a tournament. It was Relic game and I won 2-1. I get First Blood and Slay the Warlord and my opponent killed my warlord also. My list:
HQ
Hive Tyrant;2xDevourers, Egrubs, wings
Hive Tyrant;2xDevourers, Egrubs, wings
E
1x Venomthrope
1x Zoanthrope
3x Hive Guard
T
10x Termagant
10x Hormagaunt
FA
Hive Crone; Cluster Spines

Deathstorm is better starter for Blood Angels but not for competitive Tyranids. I like to play competitively, but I like collecting so I bought Deathstorm for fun. I know I'm not going to use those nid models from Deathstorm very often, but they are cool, especially that Broodlord 8-).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:36 pm 
Biomass

Thank you for the advice guys.

I have a pack of haumagaunts which I've had for a while stored away, but I could make use of them or even turn them into bits.

I've gone ahead and ordered the dual carnifex pack. I wanna start off with these two beasties. I'm a fan of the bigger tyranid models.

I think next I'll grab a box of termagaunts and a set of two hive tyrants and turn them into winged beasties.

You guys are excellent on advice giving aye. Probably the most useful and informative and friendly forum I've been on to date in regards to Warhammer!

Once I get painting I'll post my updates!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:06 pm 
Biotitan

MTM wrote:
...You guys are excellent on advice giving aye. Probably the most useful and informative and friendly forum I've been on to date in regards to Warhammer!

Once I get painting I'll post my updates!

Why yes, Warpshadow may not be the most active forum on the 'net. But it's signal-to-noise ratio is the best!

If you ask 10 Tyranid players about their army list you will get 10 different answers. But the one thing that is pretty constant is the Hive Tyrant with Wings and two sets of Devourers - With Electroshock Grubs!

Another thing which most Tyranid players will also agree on, the Pyrovore. Never take those!!

I don't play competitively, but my bugs don't go down without a fight! I play the models which look the best! Can't play with an ugly army!

And yes, we all love to see works in progress!!

I Spent 90% of My Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:00 pm 
Biomass

Just to clarify a couple of things.

Someone suggested maybe giving my hive tyrant some sort of melee attack as it's weapon strength is quite good. But a lot of people still roll with the twin linked devourers and the grubs. What are your guys thoughts and what's the best tactic/strategy for the hive tyrant using the twin linked devourers?

I also noticed that the hive tyrant doesn't come with the twin linked devourers, is it best to just make my own?

Also I have just purchased the carnifex brood. I get two in the pack. I want to make them into Dakkafex's as that's the suggestion everyone has made. The carnifex has two arm slots, is it best to have all arm slots filled with a single devourer which essentially makes 4 once all slots are filled or just convert a single arm into having two devourers on the end. I really like the look of the scything talons so I was wondering if I could put those still on the model just for the LOOK but not actually use them. The carnifex with just guns looks a bit odd. Think people would have an issue with this?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:32 pm 
Biomass

xsquidz wrote:

1000 Nids-MC Spam

E 1 Venomthrope 45
1 Venomthrope 45

T 13 Termagaunts 52
12 Termagaunts 48

So with this list for example, should I concerned about heavy CC armires?

What kind of strategy would you use with an army like this?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:49 pm 
Big One

MTM wrote:
xsquidz wrote:

1000 Nids-MC Spam

E 1 Venomthrope 45
1 Venomthrope 45

T 13 Termagaunts 52
12 Termagaunts 48

So with this list for example, should I concerned about heavy CC armires?

What kind of strategy would you use with an army like this?

This list can shoot down CC armies, it fires 48 twin linked S6 shots, that will hurt anything. I would use the termagants to screen the venomthropes and the dakkafexes and advance as one big unit while the 2 hive tyrants zoom around and shoot things but stay close for synapse. If you can use forgeworld, replace the 2 venomthropes with 1 malanthrope and the list is that much better because then the hive tyrants can leave the rest of the army entirely.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:17 pm 
Hatchling

I think most players will let you get away with the scytals on your fexes even if they dont technically have them but if you are going to play at a local shop or something you might want to ask the staff there what their policy is just in case they have a hard set WYSIWYG policy. Also, magnets then you only have to look at the shooty things when playing with the serious people and can leave them solid melee for your viewing pleasure the rest of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:34 pm 
Great Devourer

MTM wrote:
Someone suggested maybe giving my hive tyrant some sort of melee attack as it's weapon strength is quite good. But a lot of people still roll with the twin linked devourers and the grubs. What are your guys thoughts and what's the best tactic/strategy for the hive tyrant using the twin linked devourers?

I also noticed that the hive tyrant doesn't come with the twin linked devourers, is it best to just make my own?
I'd love it if the rules gave better reasons for giving a monstrous creature one close combat bioweapon. I think carnifexes and hive tyrants look great with a pair of scything talons. :) While smaller creatures benefit from the AP6 (it's not nothing ;) ), monstrous creatures are AP2 already. If you spend the points on crushing claws on a carnifex or lashwhip and bonesword for a tyrant, then it is really understandable to want the scything talons as a free extra attack for having 2 close combat bioweapons. But that means passing on the devourers which are cheap, potent, and versatile. Not having a CC weapon doesn't slow a hive tyrant down much in close combat. While every CC weapon takes a potential 6 twin-linked S6 decent range shots (that could be skyfire) away from you.

Making the quad devourers is popular, but Forgeworld now make a set that is cheap and look pretty good.

The strategy for me using them is just to solve problems. Need to stop that Thunderfire cannon causing megadeath? Do I want to stop that vindicator? Need to kill that dakkajet? Need to kill that small, fast enemy objective grabber? Need to create a concentration of force on one flank? Tyranids are good at table control and killing infantry at close range but by deliberate design struggle in other areas. The winged tyrant with quad devourers is just so good at overcoming almost every weakness we have.

MTM wrote:
...I really like the look of the scything talons so I was wondering if I could put those still on the model just for the LOOK but not actually use them. The carnifex with just guns looks a bit odd. Think people would have an issue with this?
Back with our older codex I would have, as once upon a time adding a pair of scything talons added an extra attack. Now days there is no in game benefit for having just a single set of scything talons on a carnifex so the opponent isn't likely to be caught out thinking it is better in assault. So long as the quad devourers are obvious, I say go for it! :D

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:05 pm 
Biotitan

MTM wrote:
...I also noticed that the hive tyrant doesn't come with the twin linked devourers, is it best to just make my own?

...or just convert a single arm into having two devourers on the end. I really like the look of the scything talons so I was wondering if I could put those still on the model just for the LOOK but not actually use them. The carnifex with just guns looks a bit odd. Think people would have an issue with this?

This is my solution to showing Dual, Twin-Linked Devourers. These are the Fleshborer Hives from the Tervigon kit. Most Tyranid players won't use them. So bitz-swap or purchase from bitz sellers (eBay, etc)
[Open in new window]

And the same on the Carnifex. And yes, he has Scything Talons on the model. Because he needs them for The Look. I explain to my opponents what he is equipped with before the game starts. Thus far, nobody has complained.
[Open in new window]

I Spent 90% of My Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:55 am 
Little One

Last edited by PolishSwarm on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.