Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: New player flyrant/carnifex questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:39 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

having said the previous things, I still field a dual scytal carnifex. It never ceases to disappoint me :P

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:26 am 
Biomass

@Bugsculptor
Quote:
After each loss, while it's fresh in your head, write down five things that went really wrong, then try and figure out if a better unit in the codex would be better in that situation and against that opponent. Every so often you need to go through this again... it's a continuous process of being a good general. Read rules, play games, drop failing strategies and be creative coming up with new ones. The best generals improve through playing games and paying attention to them more than they do from reading rules and chatting online.

I will definitely try this, sounds like it a creative way to develop and grow better. I do know that with more experience I will improve. As for the flyrant, I couldnt manage to pack one in a 500 point game (it was our first and neither of us have enough money/pieces at the moment). Overall what downed me was mainly how two similar cost units were a little unbalanced even though the tank would probably be useless in assaults (not too sure how vehicles work in assaults). As for the whole complaining thing, I didnt mean for it to sound like I was giving up on them. I know there is something there but like you pointed out it will take trial and error to find what suites me best. This is my favorite fictional alien race that I have heard of and I am invested into making them work.

@vonny
Quote:
I would keep the devourers on the carnifex - it doesn't lose much effectiveness in melee combat and is a lot more versatile while getting there.

I would also recommend mixing up weapons in your termagant unit. Have some with fleshborers in the front, taking any hits, and keep your devourer-armed ones in the back so they die last.

I considered that but honestly he didnt fire at them but once, only killing one devilgaunt with a five man scout unit. Overall he didnt see them as a threat considering 27 shots only counted one death. That and the hormys were distracting him decently till his flamethrower/heavy bolters massacred them in overwatch after they failed their first and second charge.

@Yaleling
Quote:
Nothing wrong with taking a close combat 'fex if you really want to. A distraction is good while ever it is scary and cheap and/or durable enough, and distracts from something important enough to be worth while.
______
"Regen was a let down....." It pretty much always is. :P So don't feel like the dice let you down. I'm okay paying small points for an ability that only comes in handy occassionally (like dozer blades on tanks) but 30 points is steep even on a W6 Sv2+ tyrannofex, let alone the W4, Sv3+ carnifex.

I can't comment on the Tyranid Prime as I'm still coming to terms with her 56% points increase from the last codex. I'll leave that to others.

I think I will wait for a larger game to take the close combat and just deal with the devourer fex, just replace the other scytal with more devourers. He was quite effective at killing the marines after the horrible failed attempt at the front armor of the predator. As for regen, I will definitely trade off to take six more hormagaunts or something else worth while. And I believe I was a little quick to judge on the prime. Though not quite as effective as I believe a flyrant might be, he did do well for a cheap hq choice in a small points game. He managed to kill the space marine captain in CC with hardly any effort placed into it due to lash wip & boneswords.

I appreciate everyone's opinions once again, I will improve on what I have and play again soon. Thank you all for your quick responses and making this forum feel welcoming :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:45 pm 
Big One

Hey, well if you're new to the game, you've got lots of fun learning ahead of you.

Points go some way to balance units and codexes, but there is a huge disparity in effectiveness in different situations even between units within a codex. Also, points values stay pretty much the same over time for units, but the core game mechanics change, and even change back, between editions. Being a really good general is about figuring which units are really effective in the game today, based on what you can take and what's out there in other armies, then coming up with a strategy that works. If a new army gets released and becomes popular in your area sometimes you have to come back and figure out what you need to change to keep up with it - sometimes it's a unit that you ignored because it wasn't at all useful a month ago even though it costs the same points!

Units also have to be supported correctly and put in a position to be effective before they can start to pay back their points investment. Sometimes the points are only paying for a support ability, not for any offensive capability.

Consider the humble venomthrope - it'll never kill 50pts of enemy models in any game, but if you put your carnifex in a ruin next to it you'll pick up a 2+ cover save - your carnifex can advance towards those enemy units without worrying about plasma hurting it etc. You can easily save 50pts of your own models with cover saves from one venomthrope, but if you take 500pts of venomthropes and run them at 500pts of marines complaining all night about how badly the venomthrope or codex is balanced won't save you.

I'd delete the word balance from your vocabulary for a year. Just figure out what works best for you, really think about the best way you could make certain units work against enemy units you're facing and keep trying new things out. Sometimes units just don't work in certain roles or other units from the same book are always a better choice - put them on the bench and try something else.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:52 pm 
Biomass

Will do, thank you

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:08 am 
Little One