Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Does anyone run with a Maleceptor?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:22 pm 
Medium One

I've been trying to find Bat Reps of people who've used the Maleceptor, and I can't find any. The only one is the MWG bat rep, and Matt gets dice cheesed on it.

Has anyone used a Maleceptor, and what did they think of it?

I'm tempted to pick one up, but I'm one the fence about it. I don't need a Toxicrene, my local gaming group doesn't have a plethora of Riptides or Wraithknights, and such. I do like the idea of character hunting with a Maleceptor.

If you've played with one, how did it do? I'd prefer if people responded who actually played, and not the theory craft behind it.

Post subject: Re: Does anyone run with a Maleceptor?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:52 pm 
Big One

DigestedFotoGuy wrote:
I've been trying to find Bat Reps of people who've used the Maleceptor, and I can't find any. The only one is the MWG bat rep, and Matt gets dice cheesed on it.

Has anyone used a Maleceptor, and what did they think of it?

I'm tempted to pick one up, but I'm one the fence about it. I don't need a Toxicrene, my local gaming group doesn't have a plethora of Riptides or Wraithknights, and such. I do like the idea of character hunting with a Maleceptor.

If you've played with one, how did it do? I'd prefer if people responded who actually played, and not the theory craft behind it.

The theory craft behind it is so bad that I have never tried to use it in a game, even by proxy. :) Sorry!

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:01 pm 
Biotitan

I ran with the Maleceptor once in a 7K vs 7K 2-on-2 game (i.e. 3500pt list) as part of the Neural Node formation.

On its own it actually did okay. I got off one Psychic Overload on a Wraithknight and managed to deal two wounds to the WK (focused witchfire doesn't matter with units of one model). It also got stuck in CC with that very same WK the following turn and acquitted itself well, which means I succeeded on one 5++ invul save and survived long enough for a Venomthrope from the Hypertoxic Node to cause an ID wound to the WK before it could attack again.

It's a little underwhelming on its own. In the Neural Node getting rerolls on 1s for generating Psychic Powers is pretty good. Its 5W is solid combined with T6. And any MC with a 5++ save is nothing to scoff at. Still, I don't see opponents cringing before it in fear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 pm 
Winged Hive Tyrant

It's psychic ability is just really underwhelming. Sure, being able to shoot 3 different targets is nice, but that's a minimum of 6 dice, relying on all of them to pass to be useful. Basically, it seems to me that you'd have to dedicate your entire psychic phase worth of dice to it, just to cast some middling powers that still have to roll to hit - and it'll miss half those shots anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:24 am 
Medium One

BO(V)BZ wrote:
It's psychic ability is just really underwhelming. Sure, being able to shoot 3 different targets is nice, but that's a minimum of 6 dice, relying on all of them to pass to be useful. Basically, it seems to me that you'd have to dedicate your entire psychic phase worth of dice to it, just to cast some middling powers that still have to roll to hit - and it'll miss half those shots anyway.

Have you used it in a game? I want to know what it's like on the table?

As for the pyschic overload, my group plays the rule as, if it has a shooting profile, you roll to hit. If it doesn't, follow what the card says. Is it right? Who knows, the rules are pretty vague, but it works for us. =)

It's a universal house rule, and we're pretty happy with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:06 pm 
Biotitan

DigestedFotoGuy wrote:
As for the pyschic overload, my group plays the rule as, if it has a shooting profile, you roll to hit. If it doesn't, follow what the card says. Is it right? Who knows, the rules are pretty vague, but it works for us. =)

Your house rule and the actual rule are one and the same. All witchfire powers require the Psyker to roll To Hit. The only Psychic shooting attack that doesn't have to roll are nova powers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:43 am 
Medium One

Tropic Thunder wrote:
DigestedFotoGuy wrote:

Your house rule and the actual rule are one and the same. All witchfire powers require the Psyker to roll To Hit. The only Psychic shooting attack that doesn't have to roll are nova powers.

To clarify, for things like Pyschich Shriek and now with Overload, we don't roll to hit. It just hits the unit, because it has no shooting profile, unless it says specifically on the card. Then we just follow the directions on the card itself, or the book.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:49 pm 
Winged Hive Tyrant

DigestedFotoGuy wrote:
BO(V)BZ wrote:

Have you used it in a game? I want to know what it's like on the table?

I haven't played with it, but played enough to know that to stand a reasonable chance to guarantee a 2-charge power goes off you need to throw 4 dice at it, which unless you field just huge numbers of psykers, is normally about half your dice. Powers like catalyst are easier to cast, harder to nullify, and can't miss, and if you get lucky and get psychic scream on a flyrant or deep striking zoanthropes, way more powerful.

I like the model well enough but it costs as much as 4 zoans, and I'd much rather have 4 warp lances than 1 shot of its power. If the power just manifested 3 times for 2 warp charges I'd say it was pretty good, but overall seems just way too weak.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:06 am 
Broodling

I'll mostlikely get one, just for the sake of having one, but it's currently not very high on my "to get"-list.