Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bio-Artefacts - What's your poison?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:20 pm 
Little One

Hey everyone,

I've been looking over the Bio-Artefacts recently and considering what might be useful/interesting to try out and was wondering what your experience with each of them was like.

I've tried the Miasma Cannon and Norn Crown mutiple times. I've not really found the Cannon to be of much use - that AP 4 really hurts it I think, and I'm not sure the Crown has ever been that necessary in most games I've played, so is the 40 points too much an investment?

What do you think of each of the Artefacts? What do you give them to and why?

I'm particularly interested in the Ymgarl Factor, but do any of you see its use? Is it worth the points?

Would be great to hear so thoughts and insight into this.

Cheers,
Iron Nid!

Post subject: Re: Bio-Artefacts - What's your poison?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:47 pm 
Medium One

Not really used any of them - they all seem very expensive and I generally prefer to spend extra points on more models where possible.

Having said that, I have been considering maw-claws on a trygon prime. They are cheap and rending would be pretty useful if you fight dreadnoughts often (as I do).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:29 pm 
Biotitan

I've had great success with the Reaper of Obliterax on a Trygon Prime. A MC with I7 and as many attacks as a Trygon Prime has, all at AP2, is hard to top.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:30 pm 
Mawloc Prime

Reaper on Tyranid Prime.... it's a pretty pretty thing, expecially in small games: 200 points and you can kill anything non-vehicle on the table.

And of course my creation (was it my creation? i don't even remember any more), The Templant: flying Tyrant with Miasma Cannon and Shreddershard Beetles.
Double Template Mass Infantry Annihilation!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:46 am 
Little One

Hey,

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Maw Claws on a monstrous creature do seem decent actually, especially when a lot of them are strength 6, so that's a great idea Centurion.

Tropic Thunder, i definitely think I want to try the Trygon Prime with Reaper, it does seem a lot of points, but all those attacks at high initiative and strength 7 seems awesome!

And the templant has indeed been running through my mind, even drawing up sketches for how I'd convert one at some point, thanks HiveFleetOda.

I take it then that noone cares for Ymgarl Factor? Is it just too expensive for what it does?

Cheers,
Iron Nid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:25 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

Last time it was discussed I remember people generally feeling it to be too expensive. This was mostly because A) you can't chose the same one twice in a row and, more importantly, B) it only works in close combat.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:16 am 
Little One

personally im a fan of the miasma cannon on a prime, be it warrior prime or trygon. though i have also enjoyed taking a tyrant with a HVC, miasma cannon and fleshbane thorax, plus three guards.

having the option of tossing two small blasts that wound on 2+, or two flamers that wound on a 2+ is pretty nasty.

the reaper is too expensive for how i like to play my bugs... generally bodies over buffs... and when i say bodies, i rarely take squads below half the max size. IE 20 gaunts, 5 warriors, 3 fexes, 2 venoms and so on.