Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best Choice For Anti-Infantry?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:32 pm 
Hormagaunt

The purpose of this thread is to discuss choices for dealing with regular infantry. Please choose a unit and number in the unit, what upgrades, and how to use it and why. It is understood that we won't agree. Try not to swear, but also try not to be a pansy. Aaaan GO!

Post subject: Re: Best Choice For Anti-Infantry???!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:47 pm 
Biotitan

I like to approach the game from a close combat perspective, so my choices are slanted in that direction.

Genestealers
High I, high WS and Rending Claws combined with Toxin Sacs can certainly do a serious dose of damage.

Haruspex
Loading it with Adrenal Glands and getting the charge off makes this beast devastating against infantry. Rapacious Hunger is a serious swing player, and the ability to regain any wounds you might've lost during combat gives it a huge edge during combat resolution.

Biovores
An excellent way to thin 4+ infantry units or worse from afar. Even against 3+ the occasional wound can lead to Pinning, and the Barrage units can really pay off.

Warriors
Armed with Boneswords and Toxin Sacs, these guys can make quick work of MEqs. Include Lash Whips and you can decimate a unit in no time. The trick is getting them into close combat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:15 pm 
Little One

I feel for close combat the swarmlord, trygon and of course a hoard of homagaunts are the best bets for the points. Genestealers and warriors with boneswords are just to pricy and/or fragile to be in any way decent choices. For range the biovore and exocrine are both great for the number of shots and the relatively high strength.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:13 am 
Broodling

Carnifex brood
-brood of 2, 2x Twin-linked Devourers with Brainleech worms, Adrenal glands

I use dakkafexes in shooting. They do so much wounds that it's hard to survive. ~15 wounds to 1-4 toughness. Also good anti-air and av 12 vehicle hunter. :)

Hormagaunt brood
-brood of 20, Toxin sacs

In combat I will say horde of hormagaunts. They are fast and have big number of attacks. I see that assaulting is buffed in 7ed because it's easier. But shooting is clearly stronger.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:32 am 
Mawloc Prime

30 naked Hormagaunts. Never leave home without them.

Against any single infantry unit, as long as they are within synapse, will eventually win out; they always get their points back (because they are dirt cheap).

============

3 Zoenthropes. (note: I have yet to play under the new psyker rules)

Three STR 5 AP3 blast markers are an impressive tide turner on more than one occasion against large units; three lances are hilarious on elite units.

============

Mawlok: coming up under a unit.... twice...... warms the cockles of my heart. I run three of them just for the frustrated look on my opponents face (regeneration optional).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:27 pm 
Hormagaunt

Hmmm. All good stuff so far.

I usually run a tyranofex with 16 termigaunt screen. Tfex with acid spray and 10 of the termies with devs.

I find this to be effective because people know that the acid spray will mulch their troops, no problem. So, they concentrate a large amount of their heaviest guns against my tfex. With his 2+ AS and 3+ cover in the open with the v-thrope he is soaking up turn after turn of the most expensive firepower in the enemies list. So, he is a little above average for killing infantry, but having him fill that role anyway works out because the opponent HAS to deal with him, or lose all of his troops. Oh, the termies also protect the tfex from being tarpitted.

Someone said that they like stealers for anti infantry, but I find them to fill the anti-heavy infantry role much better do to their rending claws and high Init.

The same could be said for the mawloc. I use mine against heavy infantry types and vehicles.

Someone brought up the Trygon. I don't know how I would play him anymore since the smash nerf. He is still two turns of backfield disruption though. Just not as good at taking out those key vehicles.

Naked hormies are cheap and safe. I usually try to get them into highly lethal tarpits. Or just run them up a flank to force a reaction as they are too quick to ignore.

So, I say that my tfex smoked and screened is the top choice. Care to defend your stances?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:04 pm 
Biotitan

Tyranids by themselves are anti-infantry. We can eat those with very little effort. The big problem we have is with enemy armor. How do we crack that?!

I Spent 90% of My Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:09 pm 
Hormagaunt

MysteryShadow wrote:
Tyranids by themselves are anti-infantry. We can eat those with very little effort. The big problem we have is with enemy armor. How do we crack that?!

That's for an upcoming thread

Post subject: Re: Best Choice For Anti-Infantry?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:55 am 
Biotitan

STUFF WHICH ROCKS!
HORMAGAUNTS: 20-30 without any upgrades. Cheap, point effective - great

DAKKA OF ALL KINDS: Devourers are awesome!

BIOVORES: 3 x 1 are amazing for sniper tactics. I use them most to snipe the powerclaw out of a 30 mob orks or stuff like this

T-fexes: Never used them but I see their point :P

STUFF WHICH SUCKS
GENESTEALER: The enemy will just stay in terrain in the right moment. I dont see the point in stealers right now. they just suck imo.
ZOANTROPHES: Way to expensive imo. I didnt like them in 6th edition and I probably wont in 7th. I will most likely include 3 x 1 for 6 Mastery levels and some support

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Katan+the+Unleashed
5th Dimension Blog:
http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:27 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

About the Tyrannofex: this is 7th edition. Everything scores. Including tyrannofexes. Are they the option we could use for the backfield objectives, happily sniping away with their S10 gun, while having enough short range fire to deter anyone from charging them and having the toughness, wounds and armour save to survive incoming fire?

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:45 pm 
Hormagaunt

vonny wrote:
About the Tyrannofex: this is 7th edition. Everything scores. Including tyrannofexes. Are they the option we could use for the backfield objectives, happily sniping away with their S10 gun, while having enough short range fire to deter anyone from charging them and having the toughness, wounds and armour save to survive incoming fire?

Or move him to a sky fire node. Booyah!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:18 pm 
Big One

Haven´t played 7th ed. sofar.
but at the moment i tend to go for lots of devourers.

with many shots comes great responsibility.....

i want to say that with enouhg hits there will some 1´s on a termi squad.
and normally there are only 5 of them.

harald

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:23 pm 
Hormagaunt

Harald wrote:
Haven´t played 7th ed. sofar.
but at the moment i tend to go for lots of devourers.

with many shots comes great responsibility.....

i want to say that with enouhg hits there will some 1´s on a termi squad.
and normally there are only 5 of them.

harald

Good point, but you are paying twice the amount for an extra two shots on a termigaunt. For the same price you can get another termigaunt which will give you one more shot and one more wound. I try to take the dev's in combonation to Fleshborers. I screen the dev's with the fleshborers. You are right about the ability to get 1's though. I usually max an outflanking unit with all dev's if points allow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:42 pm 
Big One

Yeah, thats true.
But as i have 20 Dev-gaunts and 24 Fleshborers i have to go whit what i´ve got.
Normally i field a troup of 30 (20 dev´s + 10 flesh´s).
The other 14 flesh´s i have to keep save for breeding with tervigon.

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:25 pm 
Great Devourer

MysteryShadow wrote:
Tyranids by themselves are anti-infantry...
Agreed MysteryShadow. Until the tentaclids were created I considered everything in the army to be anti-infantry in addition to whatever other role the creature or bioweapon had. :P

The only creature I bring primarily for its anit-infantry killiness is biovores. Their ability to lob shots without line of sight and their 48" range is a real capability boost to an army that doesn't struggle with slaughtering the enemy in close combat and short range fire-fights.

Admin note - I think this topic will be worth preserving so I'll shunt it over to species specific tactics & advice and sticky it. :)

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/