Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best Choice for Anti-Vehicle?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:21 pm 
Hormagaunt

Same rules as the anti infantry thread. Please debate with each other. Unless you're too scared.

Please list your top choice(s) for anti-vehicle unit, upgrades, number in the unit, supporting units, and play tactic.

Mine is 2-3 cfex with double devourers. They are general threats while moving up the board, even to enemy flyers, and BRUTAL against all vehicles in CC. It is 300 pts for two and you should screen them with small (15 give or take) brood of termies or hormies. They will need to use line of sight as much as possible as early as possible unless you have a spare v-thrope to throw them a 3+ cover in the open(with the 5+ from screen) because there is a lil too much AP 3 out there. If you don't like my idea feel free to tell me why YOU'RE WRONG!

jk

Post subject: Re: Best Choice for Anti-Vehicle???!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:46 pm 
Biotitan

This may be a little surprising, but a full brood of Lictors. And I'm not referring to the Lictor Forest Brood, though that would be cool, too. No, I mean a regular 3-man brood of Lictors arriving from DS. Its pinpoint arrival means I can really cramp an opponent's style by putting them where only a few units can get to them and force the opponent to either turn vehicles to face them and fire or maneuver nearby units to address them instead of my advancing force.

The flexibility is two-fold. If I put them right up against the rear armor they have 6 S6 shots with Rending and a 50% chance of hitting. If I choose to tuck them behind LoS blocking terrain within 12-15", they can camp there for a turn unmolested, then advance the following turn to assault with many S6 attacks, again with Rending.

This unit has served me incredibly well as a vehicle hunter, especially against gunline Tech armies that are vulnerable to sudden incursions to the backfield. It also helps having built-in Stealth and (likely) the ability to Go To Ground due to their arrival well outside Synapse, making the opponent waste a turn firing upon them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:43 pm 
Hormagaunt

Tropic Thunder wrote:
This may be a little surprising, but a full brood of Lictors. And I'm not referring to the Lictor Forest Brood, though that would be cool, too. No, I mean a regular 3-man brood of Lictors arriving from DS. Its pinpoint arrival means I can really cramp an opponent's style by putting them where only a few units can get to them and force the opponent to either turn vehicles to face them and fire or maneuver nearby units to address them instead of my advancing force.

The flexibility is two-fold. If I put them right up against the rear armor they have 6 S6 shots with Rending and a 50% chance of hitting. If I choose to tuck them behind LoS blocking terrain within 12-15", they can camp there for a turn unmolested, then advance the following turn to assault with many S6 attacks, again with Rending.

This unit has served me incredibly well as a vehicle hunter, especially against gunline Tech armies that are vulnerable to sudden incursions to the backfield. It also helps having built-in Stealth and (likely) the ability to Go To Ground due to their arrival well outside Synapse, making the opponent waste a turn firing upon them.

I like this because it is unexpected. My carnifexen would be an obvious threat, but people see lictors as HQ and Elite hunters. You can use that to your advantage. Play the psychological game. A tip of the hat to this stategy.
Unless of coarse it is a parking lot. Then you're screwed. Better to deepstrike to where NO one can see them and wait for a chance to present them with as money other threats as possible. Still flexible though. The deepstrike allows for you to force a back field reaction. I prefer the mawloc for that personally. But, all in all, tip of the hat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:07 pm 
Biotitan

Actually, the parking lot problem works to our advantage. Consider:
  • Deploy the extreme edge (right or left). Most of the vehicles will be in one another's way trying to get to it. Even if they do renegotiate their vehicles to address it, they'll be putting themselves in vulnerable positions to your advancing units.
  • Take out the closest vehicle. Because Rending isn't AP2 vs vehicles, vehicles will never explode. This rule really pays off for us. Instead of getting left out in the lurch thanks to a vanishing vehicle, the Lictors now have a wreck to hide behind that grants a 4+ cover save thanks to Stealth.
  • Move Through Cover gives us the ability to scale those wrecks without risking Dangerous Terrain tests on their poor armor save. Hunker behind the turn after you wreck a vehicle, climb over and assault the next.

In the meantime your opponent is torn addressing the vehicle killer in its backfield and the advancing force bearing down from the front. Put in a second unit of Lictors squeezing from the other flank and you've got a mess of problems your opponent has to cope with.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:49 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I think he means a parking lot placed in such a way that you can't reach the back of the vehicles because there's no room to place your models there.

also: wrecks no longer count as dangerous terrain for anyone.

Still a nice idea though!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

Post subject: Re: Best Choice for Anti-Vehicle?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:40 am 
Hormagaunt

How do you bust tanks, Vonny?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:56 am 
Biotitan

vonny wrote:
I think he means a parking lot placed in such a way that you can't reach the back of the vehicles because there's no room to place your models there.

I figured. At S6 with Rending getting behind the vehicle isn't an absolute imperative. Helpful, but not an imperative.

Quote:
also: wrecks no longer count as dangerous terrain for anyone.

Huh, so it does. That's one of those rules that has been so consistent over time that I took it for granted it would go unchanged.

Quote:
Still a nice idea though!

I quite like it. Fun to do. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:04 am 
Biotitan

THINGS WHICH ROCKS
DAKKA - all kinds of brainleech devourers. Flyrants are the first choice cause of better movability

ELECTROSHOCK GRUBS - auto hit cause of template, removes a HP by anything but a 1. Awesome!

LICTORS - like the idea and 150 P seems to be fair if they can deal with one big fella AND cause trouble

THINGS WHICH SUCKS
CLOSE COMBAT - Because I dont see any fex get into CC with important enemy tanks. They will move away (Eldar, Tau) or be shielded by cheap other tanks (LR, Russ)

VECTOR STRIKES - because they are limited to 1 attack on tanks - meh

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Katan+the+Unleashed
5th Dimension Blog:
http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:13 am 
Hatchling

I'm not sure, but the way I read it, is that fleshhooks do not posses rending anymore :/.
Apart from that, immobilisingm may prevent the targeted vehicle from turnign around, so at least the front gun is not a threat.
Next run assault, whcih is pretty tasty after all (strength six and 5 attacks each isn't sth. to laugh about, I think).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:24 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

SaxonBattleBorn wrote:
How do you bust tanks, Vonny?

I don't, at the moment. Been a while since I played, so I mainly mix myself in this conversation as a minor daemon's advocate and to learn a lot!

Flesh hooks and rending: Is that another oversight by us? For I can't see them still having rending either... which is sad news, to be honest.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:56 pm 
Hormagaunt

Terrorfex wrote:

THINGS WHICH SUCKS
CLOSE COMBAT - Because I dont see any fex get into CC with important enemy tanks. They will move away (Eldar, Tau) or be shielded by cheap other tanks (LR, Russ)

So, the key to every game I play, and usually win, is to present as large amount of equally threatening targets at the same time as possible. With a fair amount of LoS blocking terrain you can present at turn two, which is good for you as you are closing the distance unmolested, and great for you if your mawloc and devgaunts come on at the same time. Cause that kind of back field panic( as the devgaunts will be out flanking) and your opponent will see the cfexen as a distant threat, leading to the assault in turn three. This strategy has been unbelievably effective.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:12 pm 
Big One

In order to keep my promised intention of being more active, i have to say thank you for this topic.
Special anti tank is something i always almost neglect in my lists. because i have really bad luck with my zoanthorpes and hiveguard.

i had the idea with the carnifexes too, but never tried.
the idea with the lictors is really cool.
and i never considerd those grubs.

@terrorfex
do you use them in addition to brainleech on your flyrants?
can you have 2x brainleech and the grubs?

harald

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:19 pm 
Hormagaunt

Harald wrote:
In order to keep my promised intention of being more active, i have to say thank you for this topic.
Special anti tank is something i always almost neglect in my lists. because i have really bad luck with my zoanthorpes and hiveguard.

i had the idea with the carnifexes too, but never tried.
the idea with the lictors is really cool.
and i never considerd those grubs.

@terrorfex
do you use them in addition to brainleech on your flyrants?
can you have 2x brainleech and the grubs?

harald

So, I know the question was for terrorfex, but I'll tell you in case he is in the jon. You can have all three, BUT you can only shoot two. So, both dev's or a dev and the grubs. This is how I understand the rules to operate as you can only fire two weapons in the shooting phase with a FMC, or any MC for that matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:19 pm 
Great Devourer

This seems like a topic worth preserving (especially for new players). So I'll move and sticky it.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:04 am 
Broodling

This is not a competitive one but good for beginners which don't have many models. Buy Hive Tyrant and Trygon (need also termagant sprues)

Hive Tyrant
-2x Devourers with brainleech worms, Thorax- Electroshock grubs, Wings

If you have read other replies you know why this is good.

Trygon Prime
-Reaper of Obliterax, Ymgarl factor, Norn crown, Adrenal glads, Regeneration

You can take bonesword and lashwhip from hive tyrant box and make it look super since this has many upgrades.
Tactics:You deep strike to behind enemy lines. No mishaps. Shoot 12 s5 shots. Assault in next turn. Trygon has 7 attacks and s9 ap2 (include modifiers). Also gives good synapse and its durable. It can bring eg termagants (even 30 devourers :D ) with tunnel near enemy's objectives. Why this is not competitive? Because it costs 400 pts. Too priced.