Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tervigon in KP matches
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:39 pm 
Medium One

From how I understand, spawned gaunts give a KP. So how do you guys use Tervigons effectively in KP matches? Do you keep them back as a screening unit, or hold out spawning them until the right time?

Hive Mind Success record: W:7 L:9 D:2
Eat Termagants, Bloody Avatar!

Post subject: Re: Tervigon in KP matches
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:36 pm 
Biotitan

I hold back until the right time. No point providing shootable KPs beforehand. Better to hold off on the roll until you know the spawned unit can assault.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:15 am 
Biomass

They're a T6 S6 MC I move up behind some thing, Hive tyrant or something else big and advance as soon as something is in trouble, Like trygon or tyrant I squeeze out a couple of gaunts for support, and charge with both gaunts and trevigon, Most things aren't left and usually I save a kill point if I do it right. AKA move the trevigon in front of the thing I am trying to save with the consolidation moves. this usually works wonders for 4+ saves on Monstrous creatures.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:20 am 
Medium One

I'm going to have to try this next time, for sure. It is a nasty MC, true. It will be a warrior queen :D

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:27 pm 
Monstrosity

Hive Fleet Chiron wrote:
They're a T6 S6 MC I move up behind some thing, Hive tyrant or something else big and advance as soon as something is in trouble, Like trygon or tyrant I squeeze out a couple of gaunts for support, and charge with both gaunts and trevigon, Most things aren't left and usually I save a kill point if I do it right. AKA move the trevigon in front of the thing I am trying to save with the consolidation moves. this usually works wonders for 4+ saves on Monstrous creatures.

Tervs are only S5.

Personally what I do is I spam their psychic power and try to use them as cover for my other units. I would much rather my opponent kill my tervigon then my hive tyrant in a KP game as the HT is what will do the killing. They can also give units cover so they don't die as often to enemy firepower. IMHO in KP games tervigons change from being an important asset (as long as they can spew gaunts) to bait so that my opponent won't hurt the things that will kill them. Not only that, but if the tervs do manage to survive then I can abuse the fact that they spawn 6" in front of them in order to have an 18" threat range with their gaunts so they can possibly tie up an enemy shooting unit for a turn or two if you don't mind sacrificing a KP. So essentially, I use them as sacrifices. I hope the opponent tries to kill them instead of killing other things and if they don't then they can still make things harder for the opponent. If they die, then the rest of my stuff lives. If they live, then they make it harder to kill my other models and they can rocket spawn some gaunts into the opponent's face. It's a win-win for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:31 pm 
Medium One

Phalanx wrote:
Tervs are only S5.

Personally what I do is I spam their psychic power and try to use them as cover for my other units. I would much rather my opponent kill my tervigon then my hive tyrant in a KP game as the HT is what will do the killing. They can also give units cover so they don't die as often to enemy firepower. IMHO in KP games tervigons change from being an important asset (as long as they can spew gaunts) to bait so that my opponent won't hurt the things that will kill them. Not only that, but if the tervs do manage to survive then I can abuse the fact that they spawn 6" in front of them in order to have an 18" threat range with their gaunts so they can possibly tie up an enemy shooting unit for a turn or two if you don't mind sacrificing a KP. So essentially, I use them as sacrifices. I hope the opponent tries to kill them instead of killing other things and if they don't then they can still make things harder for the opponent. If they die, then the rest of my stuff lives. If they live, then they make it harder to kill my other models and they can rocket spawn some gaunts into the opponent's face. It's a win-win for me.

I definitely want to try using them this way next game. Thanks, man!