Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I used a malaceptor, and it was great.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:32 pm 
Medium One

I just finished a bat rep vs. a good friend of mine.

I included a malaceptor, and he did great. Take note, our gaming circle plays by the house rule, if you have a psychic power that doesn't have a weapon profile, there is no roll to hit. Take that for what it is.

He had Psychic scream and his overload power, and the overload worked well. It killed a daemon prince, as well as knocking off hull points from various hell brutes, and killed a few las cannons in Nurgle and Tzneetch marine squads. He even got into combat with a hell brute and beat it with a smash attack.

He was a great solid synapse choice. The pyschic overload did quite well. I only had one other psyker that rolled catalyst on the power table, so most of my dice were towards pyschic scream when in range and psychic overload. I won the game, and the malaceptor played a big part of that.

I'd say it did its job quite well, and tallied up a daemon prince, a hell brute (with some assists on the other brutes,) and some las cannon marines.

I had fun, he worked quite well, I would bring him again.

He did not survive the match, he died in the last turn when he beat the hell brute and was left wide open in front of the foregfiend, ouch.

Overall, I was happy with it. He stole the show with the Daemon Prince kill. It took two psychic phases, but the Overload worked. Was it good rolling? Maybe, but it's a game of dice. Good and bad rolls will eventually happen. I only got 1 catalyst off the entire game. =(

I'd recommend people trying him out. He was a great asset.

Post subject: Re: I used a malaceptor, and it was great.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:11 pm 
Medium One

I think there is some debate over the wording of the non-shooting profile psychic witch fire powers, most people settle on needing to hit because it feels more like how it should work, but there are still people who will argue it over the internet.

Glad to see you got some use out of one of the many sub-par units in (or not in) our codex. Good job!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:34 am 
Medium One

Centurion wrote:
I think there is some debate over the wording of the non-shooting profile psychic witch fire powers, most people settle on needing to hit because it feels more like how it should work, but there are still people who will argue it over the internet.

Glad to see you got some use out of one of the many sub-par units in (or not in) our codex. Good job!

Yeah, we had a sit down to it. Our group is small, 4-5 people, but we're all pretty open minded and adults. =)

Regardless of what other people think, our reasoning was you needed a weapon profile to roll to hit, because you're actually shooting something. If you can't answer what its strength, ap, range, and special rules are 100%, it's not a weapon that needs a hit.

That may seem wonky to some folks, but we agreed that's what it was. I certainly don't complain when I get hit by that telepathic one that zaps my gribblies ld of 6. =)

Going to try a Malaceptor again with a swarm list. I think it will be a good constant synapse, objective holder.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:26 pm 
Biotitan

By that logic, Tau Pathfinders don't need to roll anything to shoot Markerlights. Unless you're consistent and allowing Tau Pathfinders to auto-hit all their shots you have a rules inconsistency.

If Markerlights require rolls To Hit, then so too do any standard Witchfire powers. Beams and Novas are the lone exceptions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:28 pm 
Medium One

Tropic Thunder wrote:
By that logic, Tau Pathfinders don't need to roll anything to shoot Markerlights. Unless you're consistent and allowing Tau Pathfinders to auto-hit all their shots you have a rules inconsistency.

If Markerlights require rolls To Hit, then so too do any standard Witchfire powers. Beams and Novas are the lone exceptions.

Ahhh, forgot to mention that was only for psychic powers. Again, it's not something that works for everyone, and we're fully aware that it can and probably will cause conflicts. We never thought about that for marker lights, because none of us play Tau. Thanks for bringing it up though, I thought Marker Lights would have had a profile. I haven't flipped through the Tau Codex much. =)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:35 pm 
Little One

DigestedFotoGuy wrote:
Tropic Thunder wrote:

This confuses me because marker lights do have a profile 36" heavy 1