Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hive Fleet Cicadas adventures in a custom KT campaign.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:24 pm 
Biotitan

I have been a bit quiet due to a crappy new year, but things are starting to look better now. Also, this place needs a new non-spambot thread! lol! (Also not sure if this is right spot, as its a fan made rule-set for 40k and wasn't sure if the batrep forum is official rules or blaaaah my head is being dumb overthinking this lol)

We have been doing a Kill Team campaign with the rules from here: http://heralds-of-ruin.blogspot.ca/p/ki ... s.html?m=1
The Teams are: 3 Blood Angel forces, Gray Knights, Deathwatch, Chaos Marines, Ad Mech, and Tyranids (Me!) The other Tyranid player had to drop out.

I made a Warrior Prime specially for this campaign as my leader. I do not have photos on me right now. My first list ended up not working so well. Once I saw the rules in action, the flaws jumped out pretty fast. We were given one list redo, so I ended up using that fast lol!

My first game was against a Deathwatch force. We rolled the last stand as a mission, witch forces one kill team to split their force in half and hold the center of the table and wait for the other half as reinforcement reserves, while the other kill team surrounds them in full force. The defenders have a 6 inch deployment bubble from the center, and the other force can deploy anywhere around them 24 inches away from the center.

Since I won the initiative, I made the Deathwatch defend.

The 8 Genestealers picked one side to ambush, choosing to go after an Imperial Fist Crackshot, while my 2 Raveners (ST RC) and Prime (ST, RC, Wings, +5 invulnerable save) wanting to go for the Salamander Librarian leader, who has a nasty gauntlet flamer, and his Black Templar CC buddy. The Spacewolf, Jumpack Bloodangel, and something else were his backup wave.

Even with the Deathwatch force at half strength, I was having trouble lol! I call that Imperial Fist a Crackshot for a reason, as he was outright killing or stunning the Genestealers after him!

I split this part into two events, as I can only remember small bits.

One Ravener was defeated on approach to the Librarian, while the Prime and other Ravener make it into combat. That damn flamer puts a wound on. The Librarion gets knocked into submission, but my beasts were unable to finish him off due to the interfering Black Templar, giving the Librarion time to recover and get back into the fight! The second Ravener goes down, and gets knocked out, and my Prime rends that Librarian to bits again, but nope, he refuses to die and I have no follow up to kick him out while hes down... so, he got back up and smashed the Primes head in.

The reinforcements arrive for my opponent after a failed attempt last round. My opponent was relieved, as he was getting a bit panicky! While the Genestealers barrel towards the Crackshot, the Bloodangel, Spacewolf and Otherdude come to his rescue, flanking behind the Genestealers and picking them off outright. The Genbestealers that make it into combat were unable to finish the Crackshot off, as his allies came to the rescue and gave the remaining stealers the boot! I am horrible at my injury step rolls!

My bugs refuse to retreat, and thus were ripped apart. My endgame injuries phase was horrible! 4 Genestealers died and my Prime had some scary close call rolls on its fate! It ended up with a Wounded Pride, witch only lasts for the duration of my next game. My opponent, who is also in-charge of this campaign said, your upgrading your base to have a hospital after that! No if, and's or butts! LOL! So I spend my earned Requisition points on that! He also suggested I run some swarms, and he was right. I needed more pressure and I was being too much of a worry wort over my only synapse model, and the Prime has a 24 inch bubble anyhow.

My next game was a no go, as my opponent and I couldn't not arrange a time that week. Its hard for me to get a game in with the younger folk due to them being limited to game night. So with the draw, and my one list redo, I remade my list. I had to use my RP to buy new units, due to taking a HEAVY blow in casualties. This became two Hormagaunt Swarms (5 models per swarm), as I want to stick with a CC theme. The remaining Genestealers formed into a new group. My Raveners and Prime stayed the same. Rending Claws and Scything Talons everywhere!

Then yet again, I could not make the game night, but since someone had to drop out, I asked the organizer to play my opponent so he wouldn't miss out. He was currently stepping out to make things an even number.

Next match, again, couldn't arrange it. Starting to feel a bit of a pinch, wondering if I am going to be too weak with lack of RP income!

Finally, I was able to have my next game. I was against a Blood Angels force. The Blood Angels Leader was on a bike with some special axe. He had two jump pack guys, and 3 or 4 other models on foot. One had a melta gun, another was a Sternguard, and some other guy had some special fire pistol.

The mission was the Doomsday device. The device is hidden in one of 6 objectives. To uncover an objective, a model has to be 3 inches away. You roll a dice to determine if it is the device or not. If not, the objective is removed. Repeat until found and if there is one objective left, then its it! If you hold the objective with no foes contesting it, you roll to see if you disarm/steal/destroy it. On a +5, the game ends. If there are no enemy models within 3 when this happens, the objective holders wins. Else, its a draw if its contested by both players or no units near it.

We place the objectives out, and the Blood Angel wins the initiative. He spreads his forces out so he can grab a bunch of objectives at once. I deploy my Prime, 2 Raveners, and Hormagaunts in a far corner close to two. Then I infiltrate my Genestealers. Two ahead of my blob behind a building. One behind a building near a central objective, and two on the other side, again, hiding behind buildings and close by to his Biker Leader and Powerfister jump guy. I should of put the middle stealer here too, but that realization came after the first game turn.

The Bloodangels turn is pretty much uncovering 4 objectives, and shooting the poor middle Genestealer into a stun. I became quite lucky when he revealed the device because it was close to my blob!

My turn was pretty quick, I move the horde to the goal and cover half the distance with their inherent speed. I charge the Biker and Fister with the two Genestealers on the other side of the board. Feel no Pain prevents the rend on the Fister and the leader passed the initiative test to help out the combat, so he smacked a Genestealer over the head with his axe, stunning the monster.

The Bloodangels turn is mostly moving his forces towards the objective, as he failed to deactivate it. Shots are fired, but they fluffed (My infamus melta curse is strong and that thing was aimed at my leader!). The Genestealers in combat were slain, but their job of holding up that unit for a turn was good enough for me!

My turn comes around. The marines fail to disarm the device yet again. The horde effortlessly gets into combat range. Overwatch shots fail as claws, teeth and spines descend on the two lone marines guarding the device. The stunned Genestealer in the middle is all... OKAY GUYS IM OK... oh they are having fun without me! I made sure to have a few different initiative steps charge into combat with the two marines, so I would have an extremely high chance at killing them outright, witch happened! The device is now mine!

The Bloodangels didn't get a next turn, as I disarm the device and win!

My injuries phase went smooth this time. Both downed Genestealers survive, HOSPITAL POWER!

All the RP earned that game gave me a huuugee catchup *crosses fingers* With my renown also hitting 5, I unlocked some more options to purchase. And thus I decide to give some units battle honours!

My Alpha gains the Medic ability, witch works just like the Hospital. Now I have two re-rolls on the after match injury table. You cant keep my bugs down! The Hormagaunts have their own reinforce ability at the cost of not being able to buy honours, so I can save these two hospital rolls for my special bugs.

The Alpha and both Ravener's gain the Parry Ability. I can force one of my opponents models in base contact to re-roll a hit close combat every turn.

Looks like my next game is against... Blood Angels, but I believe this bunch have Inquisition allies.

Post subject: Re: Hive Fleet Cicadas adventures in a custom KT campaign.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:33 pm 
Biotitan

GO AWAY SPAMBOOOOTSSSS!

Anyhow, had my game vs Bloodangels on a very tough mission for my bugs. One player defends 3 objectives in their deployment zone, while another player has to destroy them. The attacking player can assign 3 melta bombs to units.

The Blood angel player won the roll off and chose to defend. The list had two jump boys with powerswords, a jump boy with a meltagun, his leader also having a jump pack with a powerhammer. The rest just 2 straight up marines and a sternguard vet.

I gave a melta bomb to each Ravener, and one to a Genestealer, hoping to get a good infiltrate, witch didn't happen :(

This game was me pretty much horde blobbing it up a side and getting outright slaughtered! I couldn't roll a rend for my life, hell, my rolls were overall horrible! To make matters worse, that powerhammer guy made mince meat of my multiwound dudes and I only managed to take out two of his troops. The others just got stunned.

I only managed to get a Ravener and my Leader to one objective, witch I easily destroyed with the meltabomb. I pretty lost lost all my bugs but for a Genestealer tieing up the melta jump packer. I chose to retreat by then.

While I think about it, I could of gotten another objective if I played smarter. If I kept that Ravener out of combat and just let the Hormagaunts hold up his intercepting units, I could of easily gotten a second one...

Thankfully, I only lost one Hormagaunt in my end game injury phase. The other 4 Hormagaunts that died I regained due to their swarm reinforce rules. Sucks that I lost 1 renown, I wanted to give my Genestealer group the parry skill, and you need 5 to buy it, so I am saving my RP for now.

I just hope I am not against the Ad Mech or Deathwatch for next week, as those are the two cheesiest armies in the campaign!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:55 pm 
Great Devourer

Yay! Hobby content from my favourite notaspambot. :D
I really like the kill team format and am pleased to hear it is getting play. Don't worry about the location, all is cool with the amount of (actual) traffic we have right now. ;)

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:03 pm 
Biotitan

My last game didn't happen as I got on the bus all well and fine, then all of a sudden... did I eat some bad biomass or something.... AAAAAHHHHHH MAAAY THE FORCE BE WITH ME PLEAAASEEE MAKE IT TO MY STOP. I run into gamenight barely making it TT. Instead of a game, my opponent and I were talking commission stuff lol.

I was looking forward to this match too, as I wanted revenge against the Deathwatch! I just too unwell to focus. And here I am with the flu!

As for this KT fangame, I REALLY like it. Unfortunately, I only was able to get a few games in. This is what my team was looking like at the end. I wanted to give the Genestealers parry, but loosing renown locked me out of that battlehonour, so I gave my leader +1 initiative:

BASE: Medical Bay Upgrade
Renown: 4
RP: 2

Leader: Warrior Alpha (35)
Scything Talons, Rending Claws, Bioelectric Field (15), Wings (10)
Battle Honours: Medic, Parry, +1 Initiative
=60

Core:

5 Genestealers (14 each) Grouped, per Grouping rules.
Rending Claws
=70

Hormagaunt Squad (5 models)
Scything Talons
=25

Hormagaunt Squad (5 models)
Scything Talons
=25

Special: 2 Raveners (30)
Scything Talons, Rending Claws (5)
Battle Honours: Both have Parry
=70

And a bit of an overview on what I felt were the pros and cons of this kind of team.

-Its FAST! With jump infantry, beasts, fleet, and lots of move though cover, you WILL get to were you want to go and terrain wont slow you down! You just gotta weather the incoming fire as your a pure CC force.
-Lots of rending, but you are reliant on luck.
-High initiatives and weapon skill to bring the pain in CC.
-3 Multiple wound models, but there was a lot of melta around.
-With lots of terrain, you have a good chance of a good infiltrate with your Genestealers.
-I find you have to run the majority of the bugs in a blob, so they can support each-other, but some missions require you to attack multiple points, making things tricky.

Melta was a HUGE worry for me. Primes are only T4 in this, so those meltas were always pointing at it. I may have a powerful "anti-melta" aura as I call it, due to people always rolling ones to wound in my presence, but still, its extremely worrying to have my only synapse get sniped out and having the rest of the swarm go into a feed frenzy.

This is the upgrade to T5

Colossal Growth (Warrior Alpha Only) – 25 pts The Warrior Alpha has grown to a massive size and its immense bulk is able to take a punishing amount of damage. The model gains +1 to it Toughness, is immune to Strikedown and gains the Hammer of Wrath special rule, but reduces its Initiative by 1.

I decided to go with the invulnerable save and cross fingers, since its waaaaay cheaper. If I were to get the growth upgrade, I would have to redesign the list big time. I may have to drop the Ravener's and go with a Lictor for special. At the same time, I bet even more guns would be pointed at the big guy. Tiss a really hard choice.

As for photos, I am charging the cameras batteries. I haven't been in much of a blogging mood due to my crumby new year.