Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hammer in the New Year! (Grand Tournament)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:15 pm 
Harpy

I was undecided whether to post batreps for the GT that I played in this last weekend, partly because of mediocre performance and partly because my list design was explicitly against the well-informed advice of people on this board. Nevertheless, now that I'm through I figured I would post for posterity. Hopefully someone can learn from my experience.

OVERALL
The GT was composed of five games over two days, 32 players on 16 tables, with swiss pairings.

The event was done in the ITC format, including the missions/scenarios. In summary, this meant that we played two hammer and anvil, two vanguard strike, and one dawn of war deployment, and one each of emperor's will, relic, purge the alien, scouring, and big guns missions. In addition, each mission had a reduced (1d6 roll instead of d66) for maelstrom objectives which were typically an even split between destroying an enemy unit, holding an objective marker, or having scoring units in your own or your opponent's deployment zone.

Winning the primary was worth 4 points, winning the maelstroms another 4, and there were 3 bonus points for secondary missions like linebreaker, slay the warlord, and so forth (3 different ones each game), for a total of 11 points possible per game (usually zero-sum between the two players).

The crop of players that showed up (and there was a substantial wait list!) ranged from hardcore tournament players who travel across the country (going to LVO from Virginia, for example) all the way to the very casual local players forming their army lists based on real-world WWII british airborne regiments. The distribution of armies was a little different from what I expected (listed in order of final score):

1 - Eldar
2 - Eldar / Dark Eldar
3 - Tau
4 - Eldar
5 - Necrons
6 - SM / Inquisition
7 - Tau
8 - CSM
9 - DA / SW (Darkshroud spam)
10 - DA / SW (also Darkshroud spam)
11 - AdMech / Skitarii
12 - SM
13 - Daemons / CSM
14 - Tau
15 - AM
16 - AM
17 - AdMech / Skitarii
18 - Eldar
19 - SM / IK
20 - Necrons
21 - IK / SM
22 - AdMech / Assassins
23 - Tau
24 - Tyranids (me)
25 - Tau
26 - AM / IK
27 - Khorne Daemonkin
28 - BA / IK
29 - DE /Eldar
30 - IK / Skitarii
31 - Tyranids
32 - AM

So for those interested in totals (counting only primary detachments or it gets messy):
* AdMech - 3
* Assassins - 1
* Astra Militarum - 4
* Blood Angels - 1
* Chaos Daemons - 1
* Chaos Space Marines - 1
* Dark Angels - 2
* Dark Eldar - 1
* Eldar - 2
* Imperial Knights - 2
* Khorne Daemonkin - 1
* Necrons - 2
* Space Marines - 3 (i.e. White Scars)
* Tau - 5
* Tyranids - 2

Notably absent: Orks

[PS: a clever observer will note that it is no longer close to the New Year; the original date in January got snowed out and the first available reschedule was more than a month later]

Post subject: Re: Hammer in the New Year! (Grand Tournament)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:17 pm 
Harpy

Now, on to the meat. My list was almost entirely unlike the tournament lists you might see online:

CAD: devflyrant (without electroshock grubs), zoanthrope brood w/ neurothrope, 6x rippers (SF, TS) 6x rippers (SF, TS, DS), 6x rippers (SF, TS, DS, AG), mawloc
Living Artillery Node: 3x Warriors w/ one VC, exocrine, 3x biovores
Skytyrant Swarm: CC Flyrant w/ reaper, ST and AG, 15x gargoyles, 15x gargoyles

I've been on hiatus for six months, so this was a refresher for me; also, this was the first time I had played with a neurothrope, a mawloc, or any formations. Basically all of this was against the advice of this board...part of that was stubbornness (I have a hard time giving up on the concept of a CC tyrant) and part of it because the Tyrannocytes I ordered through the mail didn't arrive until two days before the event and I didn't have time to assemble, paint, and base them (mandatory for this event), so I had to revert to an older list at the last minute that fit with what I had.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:17 pm 
Harpy

** DAY ONE **

GAME 1: Dawn of War / Emperor's Will vs. Eldar. I lost the roll off and had to go first.
My opponent's list was high-mobility Eldar; Farseer on jetbike, 3-bike squads w/ scatter lasers, 2 units of warp spiders, 2 forge world warp hunters, a CC wraithknight, and a void shield generator (those were *very* common at this event). We both opted to do significant deepstriking, which played better for him because he had a better time repositioning to stay away from my flyers and was able to pepper them with scatter lasers while his spiders took care of the artillery node. I did some damage, but by the end of turn 5 he had avoided me, hidden behind the void shield bubble (to avoid biovore barrage), and attrited me down to nothing.
Result: Eldar victory (Tyranids tabled), 11:0

Lessons Learned:
* Don't deepstrike when you opponent has lots of long-range shooting; unless luck allows everything to come in at once, it just allows them to focus fire on one thing at a time. Probably better to just put everything out there and rush forward so that something survives long enough to get into tyranid shooting/melee range.
* By extension, this means that paying for deepstrike upgrades is only useful 50% of the time, at best, and may cause bad deployment choices in a misguided effort not to "waste" the points put into deepstriking.
* Deepstriking lists to take maelstrom objectives only work well if you are going second, or they are very resilient (doesn't apply to much in the Nid list).
* Mawloks are crap against AV12 side armor, or vehicles in general (can't do enough damage to destroy them in two hits, guaranteeing mishap).
* I don't think there is any advantage to going first now that essentially all missions have objectives and are counted at the end of the game turn or the whole game. Therefore, losing the roll-off means deploying first (bad) and going first (also bad). The only exception I can think of is if you have first-turn deepstrike capability with units that can live through the rest of the game, if you have lots of 48"+ range shooting that can ignore cover (for a turn-1 shooting alpha strike before your opponent can swoop, zoom, activate blessings, etc), or if you're in a competition for places to put infiltrators.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:18 pm 
Harpy

GAME 2: vs. Hammer and Anvil / The Relic vs. Khorne Daemonkin. I again lost the roll-off and had to deploy and go first.
His list had a whole bunch of hounds of khorne, two units of deepstriking bloodletters, two units of khorne melta-bikers, two units of khorne-marked melta raptors, a tiny unit of cultists, and (of course) two bloodthirsters w/ D-axes.
I deepstruck less this game, only putting the two DS ripper broods and the deviltyrant in reserve, while rushing the CC flyrant / gargoyle blob right up the middle. Shooting from the deviltyrant took one D-thirster down to a single wound, and the CC-tyrant was able to take the other one down to 2 wounds in close combat (before dying horribly), but ultimately the shooty elements of my force couldn't kill the dogs fast enough to keep them out of close combat, and he was able to overrun the center of the board (relic) and cherry pick maelstrom objectives with bikes, deep striking raptors, and ObSec bloodletters with impunity because he was going second each turn.
Results: again, 11:0 loss for the Tyranids

Lessons Learned:
* Partly apparent in game one, really apparent in game two...no one seems to be taking much skyfire anymore. My deviltyrant had (essentially) the freedom of the board, and would have lived through the game if he hadn't killed himself with a very bad Perils of the Warp result. He also did a lot of damage to a D-thirster and would have killed him if he hadn't been stuck in combat after absolutely whiffing against *rippers*!
* Khorne hounds are very hard to kill, doubly so with psychic powers. Since they are also fast, ignore cover, and are relatively cheap, the only hard counter I can see is shooty FMCs or LOTS of long-range pie plates (enough to kill whole units before they can make it up the board).
* Biovores are really good at killing invul save infantry (took out an entire unit of bloodletters with one salvo, killed quite a few dogs and even a couple of bikes)
* Deepstriking is an ineffective way to deal with objectives very close to a board edge, unless you're willing to gut up and drop right next to the enemy and risk scatter off the board.
* A CC tyrant is best used killing units that have either no characters or (even better) CC-weak characters; if he can get pulled into a challenge, his ability to throw wounds at the gargoyles via "Look Out Sir!" goes away, which reduces his survivability tremendously.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:18 pm 
Harpy

GAME 3: Vanguard Strike / Purge the Alien vs. Imperial Knights / Space Marines. Again, I lost the roll-off and had to deploy and go first.
My opponent brought a formation of four forgeworld Knights (including a 7HP bastard with IWND as his warlord), with a techmarine on a bike and a minimum squad of SM scouts w/ cloaks and sniper rifles.
I was very ill-equipped to deal with Knights at all, let alone four of them.
I was hoping to be able to grab maelstrom objectives with mawloc or DS rippers, or at least pick up some bonus points like linebreaker with the deviltyrant (since he had no dedicated anti-air weapons), but going first made a lot of that impossible. The high point of the game was when the CC flyrant beat 3HP off of his Warlord Knight in a single CC phase and (due in part to Paroxysm) took no damage in return, even from Stomps; after that it went down-hill when he recovered two of those HP back with IWND. Overall, he trampled the whole army that got in the way and shot the rest with various large weapons. When the devilflyrant was the only thing left, deep in the backfield, I made the error of trying to protect him with Catalyst, got myself a Perils Result, lost a wound, failed the grounding test, and then got easily shot off the board by a Vulcan megabolter.
Result: yet another embarrassing 11:0 loss. This was the end of Day One, and I drove home with a massive headache.

Lessons Learned:
* S6 AP3 with lots of shots is a sweet spot for killing tyranids; nasty against T6 Sv3+ MCs, insta-kill ripper bases, ignores FNP on T3 gribblies, and wound T4 on a 2+.
* Don't assault CC characters with the CC tyrant! Challenges negate all advantages of look-out-sir! Doubly so against characters that have D-weapons in close combat.
* On paper, a Knight should be no harder to kill with shooting than two ironclad dreadnoughts (same AV profile, same total number of HP). In practice, this is definitely NOT the case, since you can't immobilize or take out weapons, you can't rely on close combat due to the D-hits in return (and stomps), and the dreads don't have invul saves against shooting.
Options for killing AV12-13 Sv4++ HP6? I count 6 deviltyrants, 6 rupturefexes, or 8 full broods of hive guard...and that's only taking out one knight per game turn, with perfect positioning and range.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:20 pm 
Harpy

** DAY TWO **

GAME 4: Hammer and Anvil / The Scouring vs. Astra Militarum. Why buck tradition? I lost the roll off and had to deploy and go first.
My opponent brought a nearly all-infantry force; blobbed platoon with lascannon heavy weapon teams behind an aegis defense line, blobbed platoon with assault weapons, power axes, a priest and Commissar Yarrick, squad with grenade launchers, another squad, a couple of allied stormtrooper deepstrikers with meltas and flamers (respectively), and some melta vets in a vendetta.
I deployed mostly forward, only leaving the two DS rippers to deepstrike.
I spent the first turn back-pedalling the gargoyle blob, partly to keep it out of rapidfire range and partly to occupy as much of my DZ as possible to make it difficult to put storm-troopers on objectives. The mawloc (burrow on turn 1) took out most of the lascannons, and biovores did horrible damage to the infantry platoons despite them spreading out. His salvos did significant damage to the CC flyrant's gargoyles and a brood of rippers that tried to contest a board-center objective, and his deepstriking storm troopers almost took out the biovore brood. However, by turn 3 the biovore pie plates, deviltyrant fire (which took out the vendetta from the rear in a single salvo with a lucky Crash and Burn, also killing all occupants), and ripper alpha-strike spinefists had worn down the platoons to the point that Scratchy (my cc flyrant) could charge in without fear of losing too many gargoyles to Overwatch. After a very one-sided close combat in the center of the board between Yarrick and the CC tyrant, his force was reduced to just the platoon behind the aegis line (with both the mawloc and the flyrant inside and chewing up guardsmen) by the time the game ended in turn 5.
Result: 11:0 win for Tyranids.

Lessons Learned:
* What can I say? My list might as well have been written to beat his, which doesn't give any information about my contributions as a general. He didn't have enough heavy weapons to threaten my monsters, and my squishies came in via deepstrike so they could shoot back first from cover. Biovores against guardsmen in the open is not a challenge.
* I supposed one lesson that did stick from earlier games was to hang back when I realized I had the mobility advantage; this allowed what long-range shooting I did have to cause damage unanswered
* A lesson (sadly) is that themed lists will tend to do poorly against listed designed around taking advantages of the rules; my opponent structured his army list on an actual WWII british airborne company, including the lack of heavy weapons, down to the names of the sergeants/LTs and the insignia on their shoulders. Very pretty, excellent narrative value, but with significant and deliberate weaknesses. This particular player (by far and away the most pleasant opponent I had all day) went on to rack up five losses and win the "Smoking Boots Award", complete with ribbon and plaque.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:20 pm 
Harpy

GAME 5: Vanguard Strike / Big Guns Never Tire vs. Astra Militarum / Space Marines / Imperial Knights. For the first time all day, I won the roll off and without hesitation chose to go second.
My opponent's force was mechanized infantry. He guarded his backfield with an infantry blob joined to a Librarius Conclave, another smaller blob with a battery of thudd guns led by a character with the Hunter's Eye (my introduction to this sick little piece of kit), and a couple of chimerae with melta vets, plasma vets, and Creed. He left one squad of chimera mounted veterans in drive-on reserve. Oh, and I almost forgot the Knight with the pie-plate melta gun, S6 AP3 12-shot bolter, and pintle-mounted quad-gun (only dedicated skyfire weapon I saw the whole tournament!).
Previous Warlord traits had been relatively unimportant; in this game, I rerolled after getting Divide to Conquer (didn't think he'd reserve much) and got Master of Ambush. Although initially unhappy at not getting Strategic Genius, it ended up being absolutely Priceless (tm). I applied it to the three broods of rippers, opting to bring them in the board edges rather than deepstrike (since two of the four objective markers were within 6-12" of the short board edges). The rest of the game consisted of me flying my tyrants forward and hiding everything else behind the central ruins to prevent them from being targets for the Knight, which ran right up the center, blessed with f***ing Invisibility from the Conclave (hard to oppose when he's routinely getting 5-6 warp charges activated on the power with 6 dice). Despite strong temptation, I neither shot nor assaulted the knight (except for one exocrine pie-plate which was mainly a failed attempt to scatter it onto the guardsmen behind the Knight), and I was saved by extremely good luck (Knight attempted to assault CC tyrant/gargoyles and failed a 7" charge). The mawloc burrowed in turn 1 and tried to come up under the Conclave in turn 2, mishapped, and was placed by my opponent right into the path of the Knight (oops) which prevented him from being useful for the rest of the game. The biovores did some damage (although the blob was Shrouded every turn, barrage at least prevented them from getting cover+shroud), but the zoanthropes were utterly useless except as Synapse pinions for the backfield. The end game (unfortunately we only made it to Turn 3 due to many many guardsmen and lots of shooting dice) had the following entertaining features:
- two broods of rippers outflanking on his corner of the board, one surviving both chimera's/vets shooting to run up and contest his backfield objective
- the third ripper brood outflanking on my side, grabbing an objective for maelstrom points and then camping there to endgame for the primary points as well
- reserve chimera driving on towards my backfield and getting wrecked by exocrine shooting (only tangible thing he did all game), forcing the troops to dismount with rippers, warrior, exocrine, and zoanthropes between them and the nearest objective
- Glorious Assault! by my CC flyrant and his last six gargoyles into the blob squad; after Overwatch shooting, he had only a single wound left and no gargoyles within 6" to take Look Out Sir! wounds. He challenged, and it was accepted by the platoon sergeant (in preference to, for example, the librarians or priest). Since he charged through cover (barely), the sergeant got his two regular CCW swings first, hit twice, wounded once, and I failed both armor save and Feel No Pain. Hive Tyrant goes down to guardsman sergeant! My opponent was making plans to give that model an ostentatious hat or massive pauldrons to reward him for his performance.
Result: 11:1 (? Don't remember exactly) win for Tyranids, but only going to turn 3

Lessons Learned:
* Clearly Knights are popular now. I need to come up with a reliable (plausible?) way to kill them or neutralize them (Invisibility notwithstanding). Not entirely sure what that would be within the constraints of the Tyranid army list; since they can't be slowed down or crippled with damage results, what I need is some way of generating ~24 S8+ shots/attacks (assuming 4+ to hit and 4+ to at least glance against side/rear armor) or ~7 haywire hits per opposing Knight before it is stomping all over my backfield, or altering my list strategy completely to avoid having anything for the Knight to stomp on (which has implications for holding objectives et al). I would love to think that crushing claw carnifexes would be the solution to the problem, but their initiative and movement are too low to make them a threat. Maybe just assault with 30 gaunts/gargoyles and let him crunch them 4-5 at a time for the rest of the game? I'm open to suggestions.
* Looking at the placing shuffle throughout the tournament, it was clear that (at least in the local meta), Eldar and Tau are at the top, Necrons, SM, and Chaos in the middle, and DE, Guard and Nids on the bottom. That is, I'm sure, a feedback loop between player ability and army viability (competitive players choose competitive factions and play them well).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:25 pm 
Harpy

In summation, I did about as well as I should have considering the list I chose and the general state of practice I was in for playing. Jumping right into a grand tournament was probably of questionable wisdom, but it did get me about as many games as possible in a short period of time and it provided the motivation to finish basing and painting (at least to tabletop standard) some of my most commonly used models.

Oh, and I did win an award, for best Tyranid army (placement, not paint job; the other Tyranid army was sumptuously painted and detailed)(also, the only reason I came out with a better record than him was because he couldn't make day two of the tournament and had to forfeit both of those games)(but heck, I'll take it; one of the TO's friends made life-size purity seals for all of the "best <faction> awards")(besides, there was only one Blood Angel and Dark Eldar player also)(and that's enough parentheses for one post)

As always, commentary, suggestions (especially about how to deal with Knights), and cruel insults are always welcome and anticipated!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:43 am 
Big One

I don't think you brought a terrible list, however as you have admitted it wasn't really optimized.

A few things I would do differently:
1) Give the CC flyrant the rending claw relic. You can take both with nids. That allows you to have a chance to hurt AV14 and you get more pens against AV13 instead of just being able to glance it which means a few more explode results so knights die faster. Plus if you use those claws on something like marines first where all you need is S6, then when you kill one you get preferred enemy for the rest of the game which helps the whole unit alot.
2) You need a malanthrope to increase the cover save on the gargoyle swarm (I usually cover the gargoyles with termagants as well) so they either fire at the gants with a 5+ cover save at the worst(or 4+ if its night fighting which is your best friend or better if they have cover), or the gargoyles that have a 3+ cover save (or 2+ if its night fighting).
3) I am not a huge fan of the exocrine because its worse than a dakkafex versus alot of targets (like flyers) and the dakkafex gives you d3 HOW at S9, that is a great way to damage a knight, so soften it first with the dakkafex or dakkatyrant hitting the sides or back and then the HOW can finish it off because they don't get the ION in CC. However, saying that it is incredible hard for tyranids to deal with imperial knights right now, but that is one way to do it (and I have done it). In addition the rending on the CC flyrant means you still need a 6 to glance or pen, but becuase of rending, 2/3 of those 6's become pens so then if you roll a 6 on the damage result its an extra d3 wounds to a knight.

The other option to deal with knights means changing your list entirely... get a barbed hierodule. They fire 12 S10 S3 shots but at BS3. Fire them all at a knight and if you get lucky you might kill it in one turn, if not use a dakkaflyrant to finish it off. Get the flyrant behind the knight so they have to pick where the shield goes.

Thanks for the write ups but nids have a tough go right now... one of the weakest armies IMO. The new cultists will add some nice stuff to the nids. For example take the new broodlord that is an IC and put him in that gargoyle squad. All of a sudden it has stealth and hit and run! It does slow them down a bit. It also gives another character to accept challenges. :) I might run all 3 IC's from the broodlord cult in the gargoyle squad to be challenge bait. :) Also another one would give the squad zealot.

One list I am considering trying (very optimized).

1850 Nids-Dakka
Leviathan Formation
HQ 1 Hive Tyrant-Wings and 2 Devourers 230
1 Hive Tyrant-Wings and 2 Devourers 230
1 Hive Tyrant-Wings and 2 Devourers 230

E 1 Malanthrope 85

T 12 Gaunts 48
1 Mucolid 15
1 Mucolid 15

Genestealer Cult
1 Formation 600

Form 1 Flyrant Claws, Reaper 255
10 Gargoyles 60
10 Gargoyles with TS 80
2+ LOS, one unit, +6 Synapse

Models 40 Total Points 1848

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:29 pm 
Biotitan

Thank you very much for the write-up, Eidre. Good to see batreps!

It was a tough go, but I wouldn't be so sour about DSing in general. Granted, certain armies will take more advantage of it than others, but generally speaking the tactic is aggravating to deal with. A shame your Tyrannocytes didn't show up on time for the tourney. They're tremendous fun to plop on the field.

Zoans in a Tyrannocyte is a great counter to IKs, as is a DS'd Exocrine. In one list I'm trying out I have four Tyrannocytes that are not dedicated to any units whatsoever, which I can divvy up however I wish depending on my opposition. The rest of the list is composed of a Swarmlord, a footrant, two Tyrant Guard broods, a Zoan Brood, an Exocrine, a full Pyrovore brood, a Hive Crone and a couple Mucolid Spores. If I face 4+ armor or worse armies like DE, Tau, Orks or AM, I definitely put the Pyrovores in a pod. If I face off against any IKs or heavy armor, I load up the Exocrine and Zoans in two of the pods. I'll always put at least one pair of Tyrant + Tyrant Guard in two Pods and have them join up upon arrival on Turn 2 (high probability), sometimes both pairs in all four pods if circumstances warrant it. This configuration gives me flexibility to face most of what the opponent will throw my way.

Don't despair on close combat. It can work, especially if you let the SitW and psychic powers stretch to full potential in concert with strategic positioning. You just didn't have them at your disposal this time around.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:51 pm 
Harpy

xsquidz wrote:
3) I am not a huge fan of the exocrine because its worse than a dakkafex versus alot of targets (like flyers) and the dakkafex gives you d3 HOW at S9, that is a great way to damage a knight, so soften it first with the dakkafex or dakkatyrant hitting the sides or back and then the HOW can finish it off because they don't get the ION in CC. However, saying that it is incredible hard for tyranids to deal with imperial knights right now, but that is one way to do it (and I have done it). In addition the rending on the CC flyrant means you still need a 6 to glance or pen, but becuase of rending, 2/3 of those 6's become pens so then if you roll a 6 on the damage result its an extra d3 wounds to a knight.

Now that makes me think of the Wrecker Node formation...unless I'm misremembering, brainleech devourers aren't "Monstrous Bio-cannons", so this formation (in addition to buying three extra HS slots) can support 3 broods of a single dakkafex and get the benefit of d3+1 HoW S9 automatic hits on the charge (assuming the Knight doesn't charge you first, but that's what expendable lines of gaunts are for). Assuming (generously) all three charge the same Knight, that's 6-12 HoW hits at S9, meaning an average of 1-2 glances and 2-4 pens...and it ignores Invisibility because there's no roll To Hit...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:53 pm 
Harpy

Tropic Thunder wrote:
Thank you very much for the write-up, Eidre. Good to see batreps!

It was a tough go, but I wouldn't be so sour about DSing in general. Granted, certain armies will take more advantage of it than others, but generally speaking the tactic is aggravating to deal with. A shame your Tyrannocytes didn't show up on time for the tourney. They're tremendous fun to plop on the field.

Zoans in a Tyrannocyte is a great counter to IKs, as is a DS'd Exocrine. In one list I'm trying out I have four Tyrannocytes that are not dedicated to any units whatsoever, which I can divvy up however I wish depending on my opposition. The rest of the list is composed of a Swarmlord, a footrant, two Tyrant Guard broods, a Zoan Brood, an Exocrine, a full Pyrovore brood, a Hive Crone and a couple Mucolid Spores. If I face 4+ armor or worse armies like DE, Tau, Orks or AM, I definitely put the Pyrovores in a pod. If I face off against any IKs or heavy armor, I load up the Exocrine and Zoans in two of the pods. I'll always put at least one pair of Tyrant + Tyrant Guard in two Pods and have them join up upon arrival on Turn 2 (high probability), sometimes both pairs in all four pods if circumstances warrant it. This configuration gives me flexibility to face most of what the opponent will throw my way.

Don't despair on close combat. It can work, especially if you let the SitW and psychic powers stretch to full potential in concert with strategic positioning. You just didn't have them at your disposal this time around.

I have had great success with deepstriking (rippers especially) before, but I think one of the key factors I hadn't noticed before was the strong dependence on winning the roll-off and going second. Both for maelstrom objectives and end-game objectives, the value in being the last one to move is almost overwhelming, especially with fairly squishy troops (if only Rippers could go to ground!).

As to the Tyrannocytes, both are now in my under construction and going to be included in the next game I play; I'm thinking about zoanthropes in one and a T-fex with acid spray in the other, to cover both anti-tank, anti-MEQ, anti-horde, and synapse in one package (assuming they both come down at the same time, of course). Main thing it doesn't give is any resistance to being charged by basically anything and locked up for the rest of the game.