Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hand of th Chosen Week 2: vs Space Wolves... PLUS CHAOS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:29 am 
Mawloc Prime

So stayed on the planet I claimed last week. The Space Wolves crash landed on the planet with this week’s theme, Reactor Overload. Whomever is invading the planet, their ship has crashed in the center of the table, on turn 2,4 & 6, it explodes with a 5d6+scatter die apocalypse blast of ship and nuclear wreckage.

HIVE FLEET ODA
Hive Tyrant – Electroshock Grubs, Miasma Cannon, Twin Linked Deathspitter, Wings
Mucloid Spore Mine
3 broods of 1 Lictor

SPACE WOLVES
2 units of 6 Blood Claws
1 Wolf Lord with Thunderhammer and Storm Shield

Were back on a 6x4 table for “some reason”. I come in 12” from the long table edge; Space Wolves deploy 12” from the wrecked ship.
He places his units all at the end of the ship opposite my side of the board; I place the Hive Tyrant behind a ruined building completely out of site; infiltrate Lictors 18” away from the left and right of the wreckage in cover.

Surprise! This planet was randomly chosen this turn for a chaos gate to open and after infiltrators, the army I played last week has returned. They put down this really well painted warp gate and scatter it. It’s placed on the left of the Space Wolves…. Then scatters 12” straight back to the short table edge and out comes:

DAEMONS OF CHAOS
20ish Pink Horrors with Sargent character
Sorcerer
Dreadnaught walker thingy

I SIEGE INITIATIVE!

TOP OF THE 1ST
I switch to Swooping mode and fly the Hive Tyrant right up to the front unit of Blood Claws; Lictors stay put. I use the Horror on the back unit of Blood Claws and successfully Pin them; my attempt to give myself Feel No Pain is denied by Chaos with their TEN dice. Lay down both flamer templates on the front Blood Claws, kill 1.

MIDDLE OF THE 1st
Lord walks forward in case I fall out of the sky to set for an easy charge. Blood Claws shoot Bolt Pistols, no damage on the Tyrant.

BOTTOM OF THE 1st
Chaos walks forward from the gate and are all just out of range for psychic shooting. Warp Storm rolls a 3 just like last time and kills the unit champion, just like last time. The Dreadnaught takes a shot at the Hive Tyrant with a lascannon and misses.

TOP OF THE 2nd
Reactor explosion goes off on a 4+, a 3 is rolled, we are all safe.
Reserves brings in the 3rd Lictor; I place it on the Warp Gate Chaos just walked in from. Tyrant flies a little past the Blood Claws, Lictors move towards the Space Wolves in the center of the table. Tyrant uses the Horror and pins the same unit of Blood Claws I pinned last turn; Chaos again denies my attempt to get off Feel No Pain. Lictor on the left runs into the river for cover; Hive Tyrant is out of range for the flamers so I shoot the Wolf Lord with the Deathspitters, no wounds. Lictor on the right is 12” away from the assault with the Wolf Lord, and he has no gun, so there’s not even a fear of overwatch, so why not try? I’m short by like 5” AFTER the reroll.

MIDDLE OF THE 2nd
Unpinned Blood Claws and the Wolf Lord move toward the Hive Tyrant and the Lictor; shots taken on the Hive Tyrant and missed. Wolf Lord charges the Lictor, overwatch with the Flesh Hooks actually hit and do a wound? Impressive. With matching WS 6… we both whiff all our attacks: sissy slap fight!

BOTOM OF THE 2nd
Pink Horrors and Sorcerer move up a bit, only the Lictor on the left is in range of the psychic shooting attacks; lights him up and does only 2 wound thanks to the river’s cover save. Warp Storm rolls a blast marker on my Hive Tyrant… who is so close to the combat with the Lictor on the right and the Wolf Lord that if it doesn’t scatter it will hit all three of them. But it scatters away from everyone harmlessly. Dreadnaught turns around and shoots the Lictor mockingly on the Chaos Gate with a lascannon; cover save protects. Dreadnaught charges the Lictor, who overwatches him for nothing, and hits with all 4 attacks and does nothing…. However the Dreadnaught hits him with his DCCW 3 times and over kills him oh so very much (narratively, cross checked the Lictor through the gate).

TOP OF THE 3rd
Reserves bring in my Mucloid Spore, I deep strike it just to the right of the Dreadnaught; it scatters directly in front of the Dreadnaught. Due to bad facing changes on my part in the previous turn, I swoop away from everything and am facing away from everything if I keep on sweeping. Lictor on the left walks out of the river and heads towards the perpetually pinned Blood Claws. I pin the same unit of Blood Claws again; Chaos denied my Feel No Pain again. Lictor shoots Flesh Hooks into the Pinned Blood Claws, no effect. Hive Tyrant shoots the Deathspitters at the not pinned Blood Claws, no effect. Lictor assaults the pinned Bloodclaws and rends 2 of them to death, the rest beat the last wound out of the Lictor. They Massacare move 6” away from the Hive Tyrant. Other lictor takes another wound off the Wolf Lord; Wolf Lord hits with the thunderhammer and smears the lictor across the county side.

MIDDLE OF THE 3rd
Finally unpinned Blood Claws move over the bridge away from the Tyrant and towards the Pink Horrors, other Blood Claw unit and triumphant Wolf Lord follow behind, they all run further in the shooting phase.

BOTTOM OF THE 3rd
Pink Horrors move towards the Space Wolves. Psychic shooting phase is a devastating 18 wounds on the 1 wound left Wolf Lord. Warp Storm rolls 7, so the eye is closed, nothing happens. Dreadnaught shoots the Mucloid Spore with a lascannon and point blank range and “kills it so bad it wished it didn’t have been killed that bad”. Pink Horrors run back away from the Blood Claws.

TOP OF THE 4th
Reactor explosion goes off on a 4+, a 3 is rolled, we are all safe again.
Tyrant returns to Gliding mode and turns 180 towards the closest Blood Claws. The Horror pins that unit for a change, but as status quo Chaos denies my Feel No Pain. Tyrant double flamers the pinned Blood Claws, everyone dies.

MIDDLE OF THE 4th
Remaining Blood Claw unit moved up to the Pink Horrors. Bolt Pistol shots do nothing. Double 1’s the charge roll and fails the charge to the squishy easy to kill Pink Horrors, leaving the Blood Claws out in the open.

BOTTOM OF THE 4th
Pink horrors move into shooting position. Dreadnaught moves into charge position. Psychic Shooting of the Pink Horrors destroys the Blood Claws twice over. Dreadnaught has no line of sight on the Hive Tyrant as I am no longer Swooping but behind the crashed ship now, so runs into better position.

TOP OF THE 5th
Hive Tyrant returns to Swooping mode and heads straight towards the Pink Horrors. The Horror is useless on this whole army, so I throw all my dice into getting off Feel No Pain….. and get Perils of the Warp. Hey, don’t judge me, it actually didn’t get denied this time! I make the Leadership roll and gain Fleshbane, Armorbane, and the 3+ invulnerable save. Flamer only reached the Sorcerer so just shot the poison one and the Deathspitters, only doing 1 wound.

MIDDLE OF THE 5th
<cricket sounds>

BOTTOM OF THE 5th
Pink Horrors run away, Dreadnaught stays put. Psychic shooting phase yields exactly 6 shots, and they all miss me. Warp Storm does not affect me. Lascannon hits me, but I make my nifty new 3+ invulnerable save and do a little happy dance. Pink Horrors try to run away from my Hive Tyrant.

TOP OF THE 6th
Reactor explosion goes off on a 4+, a 3 is rolled……. again, and we are all safe….. again.
Swoop the Hive Tyrant over the horrors, stop at the tip of the group of them. In my exuberance for incoming “Burnination”, I skipped the whole psychic phase by accident. Flamers killed 14 Pink Horrors! Maniacal laughter echoes.

BOTTOM OF THE 6th
2 remaining Pink Horrors and the Sorcerer run in the general direction of away from the Hive Tyrant. Dreadnaught walks a bit forward hoping for the last minute hail mary/hail tzeentch. Warp Storm is silent. Lascannon misses.

END GAME

TYRANIDS WIN!

I kept using my reserves to keep the Dreadnaught thing occupied on that side of the table and they kept falling for it. My friend fought the space wolf player the previous week, so I knew they were kind of squirrely and not very tactical. There’s only like 3 people undefeated in 2 weeks: Me, the other Tyranid player who just started playing, and the guy who squeezed a Riptide into the starting 250 points. So I’m feeling good.

So with this win, I have my starting 250 points of Hive Tyrant and Mucloid Spore, plus an additional now 300 points of Elites and/or Fast attack, and the bonus 50 points for anything, received for holding this world for two turns in a row. Bringing me up to 600 points starting. We’ll see what’s what from here.

Post subject: Re: Hand of th Chosen Week 2: vs Space Wolves... PLUS CHAOS
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:10 am 
Big One

Nice read, mate. Keep the stuff going.
Do you take notes during your games, so you can rembember them so good?

hrld

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:54 am 
Mawloc Prime

harald wrote:
Nice read, mate. Keep the stuff going.
Do you take notes during your games, so you can rembember them so good?

hrld

Naw I just remember them... it was only the previous day.

Is that unusual?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:45 am 
Big One

I don´t think ist unusual, my hivemind is a bit old by now...
But i guess if would write it down on the next day i might get the details together as well.

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:24 pm 
Great Devourer

HiveFleetOda wrote:
harald wrote:
Naw I just remember them... it was only the previous day.

Is that unusual?

I'm the same Oda. Normally I remember recent games in great detail. Sometimes I mixed up which turn some events take place, but writing it out usually that gets that continuity sorted.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/