Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Warmasters day 2-1850 Singles Event
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:22 pm 
Big One

Warmasters day 2-1850 Singles
From the other thread, here is my list for the 4 games. I think it was one of the most unique for sure. There was tons of Eldar, some Eldar/Tau, Eldar/DE, some of everything else and a bunch of ravenwing with tons of black knights.
1850 Eldar CAD, Eldar Aspect Host formation and Tyranid Leviathan Detachment
Eldar CAD
HQ 1 Autarch (Warlord)
Fusion Gun
Swooping Hawk Wings
Scorpion Chainsword

Troops 3 Windrider Jetbikes
3 Scatter Lasers
3 Windrider Jetbikes
2 Scatter Lasers

Fast 6 Swooping Hawks
Upgrade one to Exarch

Lord of War 1 Wraithknight
Upgrade to 2 scatter lasers

Eldar Aspect Host Formation
Formation 6 Swooping Hawks
Upgrade one to Exarch
Upgrade one to Exarch
Upgrade one to Exarch
"+1 to BS and can re-roll morale, fear and pinning checks"

Tyranid Leviathan Detachment
HQ 1 Hive tyrant
Wings
2 sets of Twin Linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms
Electroshock grubs
HQ 1 Hive tyrant
Wings
Electroshock grubs
HQ 1 Hive tyrant
Wings
Electroshock grubs

Troops 1 Mucolid Spore
Troops 1 Mucolid Spore
Troops 1 Mucolid Spore

Elite 1 Malanthrope (Forge World)

Models 39 Total Points 1849

Game 1:
Drop pods blood angels with skittari allies. 9 drop pods…. This was the matchup I most feared and I got it right away, drop pods. It’s the one list I really didn’t get to practice against. He had 2 dreads with flamers, 3 skittari squads (2 triple plasma, 1 haywire), 2 level 2 psykers with auspexes, some melta marines and a whole bunch of tacticals. No night fighting, I am going first, DOW deployment and the objectives are similar to maelstrom with 5 to hold and you only get more by holding. I know if he seizes it will be bad and I know he has enough to murder my wraithknight really fast-the skittari also have guns that on a 6 to wound do 2 wounds against any toughness, even my knight. I deployed 3 hive tyrants and the malanthrope in a ruin in my far back right corner and had night fighting for a 1+ cover (or 2+ since 2+ is the best) and then I put all 3 mucloids in other ruins in case he went after them. He rolls to seize and gets a 6…. This is going to be bad.

BA turn 1:
One dread comes down in a pod and with his flamers he does one wound to 2 tyrants and the malanthrope, then his other dread scatters off the board and dies to a 1, first blood for me. He freaks out and complains about rolling for the rest of the game lol. He went for a big risk which is why I went to the corner and only 1 went off so he was lucky overall. His 2 plasma skittari and the melta marines come down (his librarians split off and join the 2 skitarri units) and he uses the auspex and the omnispex to lower my cover to 3+ only and manages to kill 2 tyrants… incredibly bad start.

My turn 1:
My last tyrant fly’s behind one squad and manages to kill the omnispex and most of the plasma.

BA turn 2:
Drop pods come in near 2 of my mucloids and fail to do more than minor damage then the rest of his army fire ay my tyrant and he gets 2 wounds but I stay in the air.

My turn 2:
Wraithtknight comes in a stuns his dreadnought and kills a few skittari. Only 2 of my hawks come on (he had the -2 reserves trait) and I kill more plasma from the other squad of skitarii and deal a wound to his librarian. My jetbikes come on and fire at the melta marines but he makes like 7 of 8 3+ saves… he’s still on about the drop pod going off the table lol.

BA turn 3:
His last pod and a combat squaded unit stay off the board. He goes for misfortune on my wraithknight to make everything rending on it and throws like 9 dice and gets a perils. Then he rolls a 6 and goes super saiyan, 4 in 6 chance he would die and lose his last wound but he got a 6. He proceeds to fire tons of shots at the knight and gets 4 6’s to wound, which become 8 rending because of misfortune and the guns profile and I fail 6/8 saves but make 2 FNP’s. His other squad does the same and the knight dies. He fires a bit at my tyrant and does nothing. Then he decides to fire 2 melta guns at the tyrant and I risk not jinking because I need the firepower and he gets 2 6’s with snap fire and drops it.

My turn 3:
At this point I was raging as I hear him talking to his friend about the drop pod bad luck but he does admit the melta guns was lucky lol. The rest of my reserves come in but it doesn’t matter. We only get in 4 turns but he’s way too far ahead in primary so I decide to try to just make it a morale victory and kill all his infantry because his pods are on objectives all game. I have first blood and line breaker, he has warlord and line breaker so we tie the secondary. At the end he was down to 8 pods but only about 1 infantry besides that. He even got more luck when I had a hawk unit make a morale check of below 4 due to losing 5 models and I stay, so then I can’t shoot his warlord that I could have killed and at least won the secondary… Frustrating game to say the least and an annoying opponent at times. A few times in the movement phase I would measure movement/range and check LOS and he was okay with it but then in the shooting phase he would argue I didn’t have LOS… I had more movement so I could have gotten into better sight if he said something earlier. So not a good start to the day for points or for sportsmanship and fun.

Game 2:
Vs Eldar with an assassin.
This mission is crazy. Each opponent’s most expensive unit is stuck in stasis (and can’t be hurt or targeted until it’s free) until you move into base with it and free it. His list is 2 hemlock wraithfighters, a CC wraithknight, 2 artillery D cannons, a culexis assassin and like 20+ jetbikes with a warlord, autarch and farseer in one. He goes first and deploys everything-it is table quarter deployment (old spearhead). I null deploy, zero on the board and I don’t try to seize.  Because I have the knight on the board that can’t be hurt, his army has to waste turn 1-but his assassin frees his knight but is way on the top right side of the board because of it. My turn 1 I don’t have an army and then he has to waste turn 2 (one flyer comes in) except spreading out his units mainly in the top left side-already good for me! The mission is table quarters primary and there are 2 objectives under the stasis fields for secondary.

My turn 2:
Basically everything comes in. I double vector strike his flyer and shoot it a ton but he gets super lucky and it only takes one glance… However each of my hawks target a different unit as well as my jetbikes. He only loses like 1 per squad of 3 because of amazing 3+ saves… it’s looking bad for me, my alpha strike is failing. My knight (freed by some bikes) shoots his and I get a D hit and a 6! In this tournament it was changed to do d6 wounds instead of d6+6 and I get a 4. I also kill one bike in his big 9 man unit and deal 1 wound to his autarch. Then he rolls his morale and 3 of his 5 small 3 man bike squads run off the table due to the one casualty! I purposefully wounded as many units as I could to force the checks but failing that many was gold.

His turn 3:
His other flyer comes in. We had an insane chess battle with the psychic phase and I block the stuff I need to but he gets off an apoc sized eldritch storm on 2 units of hawks but it scatters a bit and he kills 5/6 in one unit and one 1 in the other (with my warlord). His autarch splits off and he assaults my warlord squad, kills 2 hawks and I get 2 wounds on him and he rolls double one and it dies… lucky on my part. His flyer D bombs my knight and gets 3 wounds on it. His smaller jetbikes squads kill one of mine and he fires his big squad at one tyrant and only does 1 wound and I don’t get grounded. His knight just moves closer and tries to shoot down a mucloid and fails.

My turn 3:
My tyrants vector strike and shoot down his full flyer. My knight gets another wound on his from afar (so it has 1 left) but also assaults and kills another 3 man bike unit of his. My hawk unit of 1 assaults one D cannon and my autarch unit assaults and kills the other. The rest of my hawks and one bike unit kill another of his small bike units. I also kill a few bikes from his big squad.

His turn 4:
His flyer deals another 2 wounds to my knight so it has 1 left. His knight kills my bike squad and he kills a few more hawks with his big squad of bikes.

My turn 4:
My autarch and squad take out his other D cannon, 2 of my hawk units go back into reserve so I can get table quarters easier. My tyrants converge on his big bike squad and kill then all as well as his warlord.

Combined turn 5:
His assassin finally makes it into CC since it was so far away since turn 1. He kills a hawk unit. My turn 5 my 2 hawks come down and I can easily hold the table quarters and both of the secondary so I get full points this game! Each knight lived with 1 wound and all he had left was the assassin as well. My elder had the knight with 1 wound and like 5 hawks/my exarch only but my only nid death was 1 mucloid.

Deployment, the mission and making him waste two turns was insanely huge here and he never recovered from my alpha strike. Fun opponent and we could laugh about his morale saves.

Game 3:
Vs the best looking ork army I have ever seen!
His list-2 squads of 12 tank bustas in trucks, 12 lootas in a massive looted wagon with 5 rockets, 5 meganobs, a big mek (warlord) and a warboss in a giant boat like battle wagon, 3 units of grots and 2 blitz bombers (I think that is the name) . It was DOW deployment with objectives similar to maelstrom that unlock each turn, so turn 1 or after you could get ascendency, turn 2 and after you could get 4 &5 etc. He is going first; I deploy my 3 tyrants and malanthrope on the far right, bikes on the left, knight in the middle-his whole army was in the top middle with 2 grot squads off the table. I roll to seize and get a 6… against orks that can be the kiss of death.

My turn 1:
My bikes pop open one trukk, hive tyrant #1 pops open anther, then between the rest of my bikes and the 2 tyrants and the scatter lasers on the wraithknight I kill all 24 of the tank bustas… ouch. Then my knight fires his 2 D shots at the looted wagon and I got a 6 and do 4 wounds so it’s dead as well turn 1. I killed 5 full units of his 12ish and the lootas are in the open. My knight had to move up a bit to get the shots on the looted wagon.

Orks turn 1:
His lootas fire and take out one of my bike squads, his grots are out of range but then he goes for the big play… his meganobs with warboss come out and need a 10 inch charge on my knight. He breaks off the big mek and gets ascendency. He makes the 10 inch charge! I got first and paste 2 of the meganobs but he has like 20+ S8/S9 attacks and my knight dies instantly, whoops, bit too aggressive on him.

My turn 2:
2 tyrants fly behind the battle wagon and haywire/shoot it to death. My hawks come in and kill about half his lootas and a grot squad, I ignore his deathstar for now.

Orks turn 2:
His deathstar assaults and kills a mucolid but uses that to springboard onto an objective to score. Some grots come on and kill a few hawks and his loots kill a few more from a different squad. His bombers come in and one misses entirely, the other hits my warlord squad and het gets 7 wounds on my 7 models with S7, AP2 and I fail my invulnerable and lose my warlord and that squad.

My turn 3:
I vector strike/shoot down 1 bomber and my hawks jump over and haywire the other down. I finish off the lootas with my tyrant and hawks and kill the grots that showed up bikes/hawks.

The next turn or two I just buzzed around the meganobs to soften them up and eventually vector striked the warboss to kill it since it had a 2+ with da lucky stikk. Stealing the initiative meant everything. Another perfect game for me.

Game 4:
Vs Necrons with a familiar list! He was borrowing a friends list that was all the rage in 6th for crons, 2 annihilation barges, 4 night scythes (3 empty one had 5 immortals), 2 ghost arks with 10 warriors all in a CAD plus the HQ that can go supers saiyan. Then a reclamation legion with 6 wraiths, the beast HQ (so that squad rerolls 1’s to save on the 3++ and got +1 reanimate-an insane deathstar), 5 scarabs and a spider. It was vanguard strike with primary being an objective in the relic spot that could not be picked up and kills points for secondary. I deployed the tyrants and my wraithtknight way out of his range of 90% of his army. I almost wanted him to go first since I knew his turn 1 he would have zero shots, then I was going to fly my tyrants off the board and counter his flyer but I decided to try and seize because I had put all 3 tyrants within 42 inches (their threat range) of the spider just in case I did go first and I got a 6! I still wasn’t sure I wanted to go first, because in a game with kill points, making him waste basically 2 turns of shooting (he would only be able to shoot my knight if the flyrants left could have been awesome. He boasted that in 3 games, no one had killed his deathstar yet, so I was up for the challenge!

My turn 1:
My first tyrant shoots into the spider and gets 8 wounds and he failed 4 of 8 and no reanimate yet… that means no reanimate for the wraiths this game. My next 2 tyrants fire into the wraiths and I kill 1 of them, 3++ rerolling 1’s is sold, even with no reanimate. My knight fires the scatters into them for 1 wound through and fires the D at his ghost ark and he jinks and I do no damage.
Necrons turn 1:
His wraiths move into the middle. The rest of his army focuses on the tyrants but needing 6’s and 6’s he only gets 2 wounds on one that isn’t grounded, he also got a random wound onto my knight.
My turn 2:
Both my bikes come on and shoot the wraiths and get 1 wounds (my bike unit with 12 scatter laser shots never got more than 4 hits in this game). 2 Tyrants jump behind his ghost ark and double flamer it and shoot it twice but his jinks are hot and it only takes 1 glance. The other one takes 2 hull points from the knights D and loses its shields and I fire the other D into a barge which has to jink but blocks it. All my hawks come in and focus on the scarabs and I manage to get all 5 of them down between 4 large blasts and about 72 S3 shots from the hawks and then all run into cover. I kept all my units 24 inches away from the wraiths except one on the far bottom left I had a unit of hawks about 23 inches away. On my bottom right I now had 3 mucloids and the malanthrope all hiding in a ruin to try to not give up kill points.
Necrons turn 2:
2 flyers come on and with the ghost arks as well he kills the wounded tyrant. His barges, plus the guys inside the arks kill most of 2 hawk squads. His wraiths don’t take the bait and stay holding the middle, they aren’t assault but a crazy tough deathstar is on the primary.

My turn 3:
My tyrants I focus on the flyer with the immortals inside and it goes down, the other loses its gun and is stunned. My bikes and knight pick at the wraiths and drop one on one side and wound another. My wraithknight D’s an ark down to 1 hull point and it loses its shields. A full unit of hawks assault one barge and haywire it down, the other full unit of hawks assault the other barge down with haywire (that 18 inch move is nuts), a lone hawk tries to finish the ark with 1 hull point and fails.

Necrons turn 3:
Deathstar stays in the middle on the primary. His other 2 flyers come on and he kills the better bike squad. His wounded ark with the guys inside kill my warlord squad to the man with help from his 5 immortals that now walk on the board. His other stronger ark cripples another hawk unit, so I have 3 down to 1 man and no others alive at this point.

My turn 4:
2 hawk units jump into reserve. The other loner jumps over and haywires a flyer but misses so a flyrant takes its shots and blows of its gun and glances it to 1. My other tyrant lands and shoots into the immortals killing a few-I might need it on the ground to help assault the middle in turn 5. My knight assaults and kills the wounded ghost ark after the D shots do nothing but the scatter lasers damage another wraith. I think he has 3 left at this point, all with 1 wound by cycling them around.

Necrons turn 4:
He still won’t leave the middle and his HQ goes beast mode finally. His one flyer that can shoot kills my last bike squad. His 10 warriors that came out of the ark move towards the middle with obj secured… which I now have none of and he gets another wound on the knight, down to 4. His immortals fire at the knight and do nothing.

My turn 5:
This is it, I have to deal with the warriors somehow or they will hold the middle and I need to contest the wraiths at least, even if I tie primary I think I am good on kill points for secondary. The tyrant on the ground jumps towards the warriors, I will need a 10 inch charge… ouch. My knight jumps into the middle 1 inch away from both the warriors (that are not on the objective yet) and his wraith unit with his HQ the closest, I fire a scatter into the warriors and the rest into wraith unit dealing 2 wounds to his HQ. My 2 hawks land and my mucloids and malanthrope all move towards his last flyer so it’s too close to target anything and it becomes useless. Psychic phase-attempt 1 to deal with the warriors, I use the horror for the first time with like 10 dice and get it with no perils, he can’t deny and he rolls a LD8 test, if they are pinned, I am pretty safe to at least tie the primary, he rolls a 5 and they are good. Now I try to charge with tyrant first and he rolls a 10! That means they are stuck in CC with me and can’t get the middle, the pile ins pull them even farther away. My knight assaults the wraith unit and as long as I live (4 wounds left) I can contest it at least. I am going into cover so he goes first. Between 3 wraiths and the HQ he deals 3 wounds I am down to 1… so I will likely die in his turn… unless… I get 4 hits and 4 wounds, he fails 2 and loses 2 wraiths so he has 1 left with his HQ and they are side by side. I stomp them twice and roll a 6! Removed both from play. I now have the primary for sure. I got lucky for sure in that last turn but I had multiple chances for things to go my way and even a tie would have left the results the same for me overall as far as I can tell.
We don’t do his round 5 because it won’t matter. We check kill points and its 8-6 for me, but then he reminds me in this mission only you get a point for each 3 wounds to super heavies and gargants, so its 8-7 for me. I get full points for my 3rd game in a row.

Summary:
30 people came to this tournament, from as far away as 8+ hours (Canada is big!). These are some of the best players from Ontario and Quebec and all of Canada really. The guy who won it used black knight spam (Dark Angels) so his entire army had a 3+ rerollable jink for the most part. 2nd was a necron player I believe and 3rd was skari from skared cast! He does lots of youtube battle reports if you don’t know him. Then little old me was 4th! I also was 2nd overall in battle points, only the winner had more. I am very happy with that result obviously but nothing tops winning the imperial knight on day one with a random raffle ticket.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

Post subject: Re: Warmasters day 2-1850 Singles Event
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:08 pm 
Great Devourer

Thanks so much for writing this tournament up xsquidz. It took me ages to get around to reading it, but but that was due to my RL stuff and nothing to do with your report. ;)

I know it is an enormous amount of work to write each game turn for turn but that is gold to us gamers who want to follow decisions, tactics and dice rolls. :) Well done on the battle score, and I hope winning the titan on day one makes up for that first game on day two.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/