Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Warp Flare League: Game 3, Chaos Theory
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:12 pm 
Harpy

SCENARIO: CHAOS THEORY
Overall, a Pitched Battle / Capture and Control with special hold/contest requirements and some weird psyker rules.

Deployment: Pitched Battle. Each player must place an objective marker in their own deployment zone no more than 3" from their long board-edge.

Objectives:
* Primary (15 league points): "We will CAPTURE, YOU control, Sir!". At the end of the game, the army holding the most objectives (scoring unit within 3") wins this objective. If both sides are tied, they each get 7.5 league points. However, only the army's HQ (and *NOT* an allied psyker) can hold the friendly objective marker. Normal scoring units (e.g. Troops) can hold the enemy objective marker. Any unit may contest, as per the normal rules.
* Secondary (5 league points): destroy all enemy Elite units.
* Tertiary (5 league points): destroy all enemy Heavy Support units.

Special Rules:
* Warp Possession: any time a psyker fails a psychic test, roll on the following table. If the test is failed and causes Perils of the Warp, roll at +1.
----------------------------------
1: nothing additional happens.
2-3: One model in the psyker's unit is immediately replaced by a Summoned Lesser Daemon with the profile following. This model will remain part of its parent unit, and as a Troop model it will make that unit Scoring.
---WS4 BS- S4 T4 W1 I4 A2 Ld10 Sv-/5++, Fearless
4-5: as above, but with a Daemon with the profile of a Possessed Chaos Space Marine. He is not a Troop.
---WS4 BS4 S5 T4 W1 I4 A2 Ld10 Sv3+/5++, Fearless, Rending
6: as above, but with a Summoned Greater Daemon. As a monstrous creature he will cease to be part of a unit.
---WS8 BS- S6 T6 W4 I4 A5 Ld10 Sv-/4++, Monstrous Creature, Fearless
7: as above, but the Psyker himself becomes the Summoned Greater Daemon, and also has Wings (i.e. moves as jump infantry)
----------------------------------

COMBATANTS: TYRANIDS VS. TAU
Warp Flare League permits one psyker model from any codex as an Ally (marked with '*')

TYRANIDS (me)
HQ - Hive Tyrant: wings, 2x TL brainleech devourers, OA, paroxysm, life leech
HQ - *Farseer: stones, RoWard, RoWitness, jetbike, doom, fortune
EL - 5x Ymgarl Genestealers
EL - 2x Hive Guard
EL - 2x Hive Guard
TR - Tervigon: AG, TS, catalyst
TR - 20x Devgaunts
TR - 20x AG/TS Hormagaunts
FA - 10x Gargoyles
FA - 20x AG/TS Gargoyles
HS - Trygon Prime: AG

TAU (like my last opponent, a somewhat disgruntled ex-Tyranid player)
HQ - Commander: plasma rifle/missile pod, irridium armor, stim injector, shield generator, 2x shield drones
HQ - *Farseer: spirit stones, runes of witnessing. Fortune, Guide, Doom.
EL - 3x Crisis Suits: bonded. Team Leader: plasma rifle/missile pod, HW multi-tracker, target lock, drone controller, blacksun filter, shield generator, 2x shield drones. 2x suits: plasma rifle/missile pod, multi-tracker
EL - 3x Crisis Suits: bonded. Team Leader: fusion blaster/missile pod, HW multi-tracker, drone controller, shield generator, 2x shield drones. 2x suits: burst cannon/missile pod, multi-tracker
TR - 12x Fire Warriors: bonded, photon grenades + Devilfish: disruption pod
TR - 10x Fire Warriors: bonded, photon grenades + Devilfish: disruption pod
FA - 2x Tetras: target lock, targeting array
HS - 3x Broadsides: bonded. Team Leader: smart missile system, hard-wired target lock, drone controller, blacksun filter, shield generator, 2x shield drones. 2x suits: smart missile system, multi-tracker
HS - Hammerhead: railgun, burst cannons, multi-tracker, target lock, disruption pod, flechette discharger

THE BOARD
Open space and ruins. No exotic properties, and no dangerous terrain. We agreed that units with their base overlapping the base of a terrain piece would get a cover save (to make adjudication easy).
[Open in new window]

THE ROLL-OFF / DEPLOYMENT
I lost the roll-off, and my esteemed opponent chose to deploy and go first. We each placed our objectives 3" from the center of our board edges.
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

He deployed as a centered gunline with the broadsides and hammerhead in the northeast, crisis suit teams on either side of the fire warriors in the north/center, and the tetras in the northwest.

Seeing that he had markerlights and therefore cover would be fairly useless, I put my army as far forward as possible, with the gargoyles covering the Flyrant and Farseer in the center, the Trygon Prime and hormagaunts on my left flank, and the devgaunts and Tervigon on the right. The hive guard were split with one group on either flank.
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

I did not attempt to seize the initiative. With it being an objective mission I wanted to go second, and moving first would only put my army into plasma rifle rapid-fire and burst cannon range, neither of which was desirable (pitched battle guarantees that 6" move can't get guns shorter than 24" into firing range for the army that moves first).

Narrative Note: the remainder of the battle report is from the point of view of the allied Farseer.

TURN ONE: TAU
"As my conciousness shifts closer to the totality of the hive mind, my perception of the warp currents on the boundaries of the gestalt's Shadow sharpens; I can feel unusually unstable vortices of warp energy focused around the immaterium-analog of this nameless planet, and I suspect that the presence of the Tau aggressors are part of a deliberate manipulation; the long tendrils of Tzeentch. I can feel fate slipping beyond my control for the first time in centuries..."
NOTE: normally I am the first to criticize my own battle plan, poor deployment, etc. In this game, I can say without fear of contradiction that the dice were badly against me from the very first turn. I openly invite any alternate explanations so I can improve my game accordingly.
"Through the collective vision of the battlefield, I see the Tau surge forward cautiously, levelling a storm of long-ranged firepower at the approaching swarm. I feel the impacts of numerous markerlight-guided plasma pulses and missiles on the disposable bodies of the gargoyles, shredding all but one of them within a matter of seconds. The dull thud of hypervelocity rail rounds echoes through the air, and I see/feel the body of the Hive Tyrant shudder slightly as two neat hand-sized holes are punched completely through its body."
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

TURN ONE: TYRANIDS
"Driven by the consuming presence of the hive mind, the remaining parts of the multi-body surge forward, rapidly loping towards the Tau gunline. A salvo of bone harpoons rains down on the offending marker-skimmers, but only smashes the attached gun-drones. Meanwhile, the gruesomely-injured Tyrant flies into the shelter of a nearby ruin, crashing into a dangerously sharp shard of a stone pillar as she lands." NOTE: the Hive Tyrant took 2 wounds from enemy fire then failed the Dangerous Terrain test flying into the ruin, leaving her with 1 wound.
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

"I suddently fight down a wave of psychic vertigo as a tentacle of energy penetrates the hive-shadow and enters the form of the Tervigon on my right just as she draws on the hive mind...with a nauseating crunch, I feel the body of one of her dormant termagants twist into the foul form of an armored Daemon, which explodes from her tortured body in a spout of gore; the hive mind quickly severs the chaotic link and takes control of the daemonic thing, but the damage has been done."
NOTE: the Tervigon's first psychic test of the game is boxcars, and I roll a 4+1= 5 on the Warp Possession table, replacing my 195 point scoring spawning W6 monstrous creature with a W1 non-scoring possessed marine. Big big problem.
[Open in new window]

"With silent calm, the horde of gaunts near me ejects a massive cloud of squirming devourer worms; I twist the fate of their target, the nearest team of crisis suits, to ensure the worms find the most fragile spots on their armor. When the battlesuits are visible again, I can see that their robot drones are sparking ruins on the ground, along with one of the suits whose pilot is spasming in his agonized death-throes."
[Open in new window]

TURN TWO: TAU
"I feel a presence on the battlefield that is both familiar and repellent; after a reflective pause, I realize that I am sensing the soul of a fellow Farseer, somewhere obscured from my sight, perhaps riding in one of the Tau skimmer-transports. The alliance of my former kin with these primitive fish-people speaks strongly to the influence of the Changer of Ways on this timeline. As a final proof of this manipulation, I feel the psychic scream as this Seer attempts to draw on the power of the Warp and is consumed and transformed into a Daemon, using identically the same ruse that slew our Brood Mother not minutes ago."
[Open in new window]

"The unrelenting Tau army surges forward again on their hover-jets, spattering the smaller broods with fire with significant (but not overwhelming) effect; however, I can see that the imminent threat of the small loping creatures has turned their weapon-fire away from the truly baneful monsters, leaving them untouched (at least for the moment)."
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

TURN TWO: TYRANIDS
"Their attention distracted by the unrushing horde, the heavy broadsides suits are completely unprepared when our mutated genestealers burst from their hiding places beneath their feet...in a devastating storm of claws, our creatures penetrate the force fields of the robotic drone and tear two of the slow mecha limb-from limb, running down the last one as he attempts to retreat."
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

"Although I would normally consider the hive mind incapable of humor, I can find no other explanation for the foray of the lone remaining gargoyle right into the heart of the enemy's defenses. Certainly it not even effective as a distraction tactic, as the assembled fire warriors and their Commander pay it no notice as it flies by, devoting their entire interest to the pack of hormagaunts approaching from the southwest. As the western hive guard brood finally obliterates the fragile tetras, the leaping scythe-gaunts hurl themselves forward at the Tau Commander and the nearby devilfish. In an unbelievable turn of events, the slow battlesuit holds its own, defeating the hormagaunts and driving them back." NOTE: Again with the bizarre luck; the hormagaunts had an awful round of close combat, only killing one of the commander's drones, while he killed two gaunts; since they were slightly out of the Trygon's synapse range, they broke and escaped (rallying instantly at the end of their short fallback move).
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

"On the right flank, I/we hover up to the nearby gaunts, wrapping them in a close aura of good fortune as they hug close to the broken rubble and unleash their devourers again at the retreating crisis suits. Again, I feel the paradoxical influence of Tzeentch, as the devourer worms themselves are apparently struck mad, flying in all directions instead of at their targets." NOTE: 7 devgaunts shooting 21 shots; the picture below shows my roll To Hit. Then again, one of those two hits caused an unsaved wound on a wounded crisis suit, reducing that team to just the Team Leader. Weird dice?"
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

TURN THREE: TAU
"Simultaneously advancing and retreating, the vehicles pull back out of immediate threat and gun down two of the genestealers, while the mobile suits surge forward from the north and northeast, outflanking my shrinking brood of gaunts and the lone remaining hive guard on this wing of our forces. Unable to draw a direct bead on their primary target (the Hive Tyrant), they instead pour fire on us; thanks to my influence, only a few shots are aimed properly and few gaunts fall."
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

"Right in their center force, the lone gargoyle, now not even connected to the hive mind, continues to skitter and howl at the Tau warriors surrounding it. The newly-spawned daemon-farseer lunges out of the devilfish and careens toward the hapless thing, smashing it to the ground with massive brass claws."
[Open in new window]

TURN THREE: TYRANIDS
"The hormagaunts spun around in their tracks under the lash of the hive mind, bypassing the Commander and launching themselves directly into the easier target of the fire warriors. Short-ranged fire attrited their numbers before they could come to blows, and they were only able to tear apart a couple of the blue infantrymen." Seven horms on the charge against ten fire warriors in cover with photon grenades; 2 losses on either side, draw?!?
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

"Coldly confident after their easy victory over the heavy broadsides suits, the remaining three genestealers lope down from their perch and to the south, easily catching the nearby crisis suit Team Leader and reducing him to a flaming wreck."
[Open in new window]

"To the south, the Hive Tyrant burst out of the ruin in a swirl of wings, descending onto the other team of crisis suits; I can feel the soul of one pilot scream as the encroachment of the hive mind draws his life force into the descending monster, rejuvenating it just before it strikes home. One of the armored suits is crushed instantly under the hooves of the Tyrant, but its massive injuries are still slowing it down, preventing it from inflicting any further damage; activating their jetpacks, the surviving suits scatter back towards their commander." OK, another one; I knew I only had charge range on one of the three suits, so I shot the Life Drain (got lucky and did inflict 1 wound) but not the devourers (didn't want to deprive myself of the charge). On the charge, with Old Adversary and Doom rerolls, WS8 and S6, I did exactly two unsaved wounds and killed a single model. Then, the suits broke (crap) and won the Initiative roll-off (???), escaping back to the center of the board to leave the Tyrant out in the open.
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

TURN FOUR: TAU
"The daemonically possessed Farseer, still slick with the viscera of the gargoyle, vaults over the ruins and joins in the nearby melee. The hormagaunts dig into their armored foes with feral abandon, cutting down several more with their toxic talons but losing many more to well-placed point-blank pulse rifle fire; nevertheless, the ferocity overwhelms the bonded warriors and they flee for their lives, leaving the remaining hormagaunts in a duel with the tormented Farseer." Firewarriors lost close combat by 1, broke morale, but escaped because I didn't beat the Possessed in the Initiative roll-off.
[Open in new window]

"Leaving behind the second unit of fire warrior to intercept the remaining hormagaunts, both devilfish and the hammerhead glide forward toward me, guarding the retreat of the defeated crisis suits and the advance of the Tau Commander. They pepper my gaunts with burst cannon fire but are unable to penetrate the combination of the intervening ruins and my prescience; they much more easily dispose of the offending ymgarl genestealers caught in the open, blasting them to fragments."
[Open in new window]

TURN FOUR: TYRANIDS
"Finally catching up to his leaping wards, the towering Trygon slithers into the fight, easily crushing their daemonic foe and pulling back into position to cover their headlong assault towards the off-planet comms relay they are guarding. Despite this bold maneuver, I can see that several minutes of sporatic pulse rifle and railgun fire have worn numerous holes in the carapace plates of the Great Wyrm, and it is near collapse despite the iron will of the hive mind driving it. Meanwhile, the final remnants of my gaunts lead me forward towards the final crisis suit survivors; our diminished numbers prevent our abortive salvo of devourer worms from having any effect. To my left, I can feel the psychic disturbance of the warp-possessed termagant as it lurches towards the enemy, still deeply confused by its transformation."
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

"I can feel the focus of the hive mind around a non-descript nodule of biomass near the point where our force massed; I suspect that there is some element of this position that is genetically valuable...the injured Hive Tyrant, rather than pressing his advantage and hunting down his foes, retreats back into the ruin, returning to his lurking position to intercept any Tau foolish enough to close range." With only two wounds left, I know I can't leave the Tyrant in the open, and that ruin is the closest LOS blocking cover to my objective; without measuring, I think it's within a 12" move + d6" run to be within 3" to hold the objective if I can guess which turn the game will end.
[Open in new window]

TURN FIVE: TAU
"As the diminished unit of Fire Warriors flees from the field, the remaining Tau forces pour the fire into the Trygon, searing hole through its body; a single railgun round from the hammerhead seals its doom, removing its head completely; its remains crash to the ground, inert. Nearby, plasma and missile fire from the crisis suits rakes the battlefield downing one of the last two hive guard."
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

TURN FIVE: TYRANIDS
"I can feel the influence of the hive mind, deeper and more fundamental than the usual surface level control, driving the underlying strategy of the Tyranid force; the Hive Tyrant, without predicate, lunges out of the ruin, and despite crashing through the rubble of a wall on the way through, alights near the biomass nodule."
[Open in new window]

"In concert, the last three hormagaunts fly at the last team of Tau infantry, driving within talon's reach of the comm-link. In my minds-eye I can see the underlying calculation in the hive mind and its ultimate goals all coming to fruition simultaneously. Nevertheless, the surrounded hormagaunts are beaten down to a single body in their drive to take out the comm-link."
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

"In a near-simultaneous thrust, my gaunts lunge forward to the Tau Commander who had been retro-thrusting back towards their comm-link. I feel myself drawn forward to assist them. Predictably, the Shas'o, already wear and wounded, turns towards me and braces himself for our assault. Tzeentch's own luck is with him in his desperate defense; not only do our attacks all fail to penetrate his army, he effortlessly crushes all of the remaining gaunts; as I turn to retreat, I am enveloped with agony as I/we are suddenly penetrated by a burst of plasma. I crash to the ground, barely conscious and surrounded by the gruesome wreckage of the creature which had been my psychic gateway to the hive mind."
[Open in new window]

NOTE: at the beginning of my turn, I was going to have my Tyrant within scoring range of my own objective, a hormagaunt vs. firewarrior assault within scoring range of the enemy objective, and my Farseer and some gaunts in close combat with the enemy HQ outside of scoring range. With so few models on the board, I had no illusions that my force could survive another Turn of Tau fire, so I gambled on the possibility of the game ending to take everything. I needed three elements to succeed:
- Hive Tyrant run > 2"; no problem, I hold my own objective.
- At least one hormagaunt surviving to the end of the assault phase; not a problem here either (exactly one survivor).
- Holding the enemy HQ in close combat out of scoring range; this one failed miserably, with the Farseer failing his Ld roll at -2, breaking, and FAILING THE INITIATIVE ROLL against a Tau, and getting swept from the board. However, this element was just an insurance policy in case all of the hormagaunts were killed, so not completely critical.
- Most importantly, the game needed to end at Turn 5. NO SUCH LUCK.

TURN SIX: TAU
"The crisis suits again turn toward the south, closing the biomass concentration and raking the battlefield with indiscriminant fire, obliterating the last hive guard and the stumbling form of the Tervigon's Possessed. However, despite concentrated fire from the tanks, the horribly wounded Tyrant manages to survive."
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

"The Tau Commander hovers into wireless range and establishes a link with their comms relay, watching with confidence as the circle of fire warriors finally beats down the last hormagaunt with their boots and rifle butts."
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

TURN SIX: TYRANIDS
"Screaming defiance, I see the the Hive Tyrant shift to a more defensible position behind a vast tank, blasting away at the nearest devilfish with a blinding swarm of fist-sized devourer worms; the Tau driver recoils, disturbing the gunner's aim momentarily."
[Open in new window]

So if the game ends here, I still tie the primary objective. You can guess what happened next."

TURN SEVEN: TAU
"My consciousness mercifully fades as the last vestiges of the link with the hive mind are severed; my natural senses see this in concert with a massive fusilade of plasma, missile, and rail fire hammering the tormented Hive Tyrant..."

LESSONS LEARNED
Couple thoughts on this one....as I mentioned earlier, the dice were really wonky throughout this game. I don't see any clearly poor tactical choices (at least not any as glaring as in my last two games), but there were some really game-turning events that were statistically improbable.
- Having the Tervigon go pop on the first turn was particularly bad, as it removed all of my gaunt-buffs, any potential to generate additional screening and scoring units, the ability to throw Feel no Pain, and one of my most resilient scoring units. The Possessed that replaced her spent the entire game walking toward the enemy objective, never close enough to charge anything, and was eventually taken out by a plasma rifle in turn 5.
- I absolutely could not win an Initiative test after close combat, either to cause a Sweeping Advance or to defend from one. This allowed the fire warriors and Possessed to escape the hormagaunts, the crisis team to get away from the hive tyrant, and the commander to sweep the Farseer (all of which I had at least some Initiative advantage). The only Sweeping Advance that I won the entire game was the Ymgarl stealers against the Broadsides Team Leader, which was almost impossible to fail.
- Close combat and shooting results were poor at particular bad times. The hormagaunts couldn't do significant damage to the Shas'o, the Tyrant couldn't do more than 2 wounds to the crisis suits, and the devgaunts missed 19 of 21 shots when they could have crippled or destroyed a crisis team. The hive guard were also completely incapable of doing anything after their Turn 2 salvo on the tetras. All of this contributed to failing both secondary and tertiary objectives, and the high level of firepower my opponent had available to the end of the game. The only unit that had real success was the ymgarl genestealers, destroying two units before going down to heavy fire in the open.
- I failed 2 of 4 dangerous terrain tests on the Flyrant, losing wounds at the worst times (one more wound would have allowed her to survive to the end of the game and tie the primary objective).

Flyrant
The scenario did not play to the strengths of this model; she could have had more of an impact on the game if I hadn't been afraid to move get her killed (and lose my only way to hold my own objective); this forced me to keep her in LOS blocking terrain in my deployment zone, making the OA nearly useless. The wings were useful for intercepting the crisis suits and getting her to the objective in a single move, but the lost wounds to Dangerous Terrain were damaging in compensation. A single Tyrant Guard and walking would have been better overall.

Again I regretted taking the dual devs; the one time I could have used them, I was afraid the casualties would deprive me of a charge, and my opponent wasn't moving units up the board in transports that needed to be shot down. I'm strongly considering going back to LW/BnSw/Dev (of course if I do, my next opponent will be 100% mechanized), or going with 2xST and losing OA to save a bunch of points.

Farseer
Doom and Fortune were both very useful, as were the normal complement of runes and stones. I only missed not having Guide once. The jetbike was somewhat of a waste with the gargoyles dying on turn 1, although having it as a fortuned 3+ armor save was pretty handy more than once.

I considered sending him off in Turn 5 to hit the hammerhead in close combat (flechettes could only do 1 wound, and 3 attacks at S9 might have killed it and given me the "Heavy Support" objective, but I chose not to because I wasn't confident the gaunts would survive the close combat with the Shas'o without his Ld10 and I needed to keep the enemy HQ away from the primary objective (potentially worth 3 times as much as the secondary/tertiary).

Hive Guard
Plagued with bad luck. They couldn't do more than a "weapon destroyed" on a tetra and a "shaken" on the hammerhead in Turn 1, and aside from finally killing the tetra squadron in Turn 2 they were completely ineffective up to the point where they were taken out in Turn 4-5. They're still necessary, but give me a decent argument to put Guide back on my Farseer, or take them in larger broods.

Ymgarl Genestealers
Definitely my MVPs for the game. Although I considered putting them dormant in the central enemy ruin and using them to kill fire warriors and contest the enemy objective, I assessed (correctly, as it turned out) that there would not be room to place my models with the 1" distance around enemy models, which would have destroyed the unit. For a mere 115 point investment, they easily took out an entire undamaged broadside squad (honorable mention to the Farseer for throwing a Doom on them, which compensated for them not being able to have Toxin Sacs) and had the charge range to overtake a crisis suit and comfortably take it out as well. These guys will definitely be returning in future games.

Devgaunts
Although in smaller numbers than my previous games, they definitely did some damage and were survivable enough (with cover and Fortune) to keep wounds off the Farseer through the entire game.

Hormagaunts
Also plagued with bad luck. They survived shooting well enough, and they moved quickly enough to get into combat, but they couldn't do the damage they should have, and they absolutely failed at sweeping broken enemies. At 10 points per model I would have expected more. A covering screen of termagants would, in retrospect, have been useful (although the markerlights in the early game were making cover nearly useless, so perhaps not). Since their inability was more due to luck than inherent flaws or misuse, I'm inclined to keep them and see if they can redeem themselves next game.

Tervigon
No way to assess. Bloody special rules. She should fail psychic tests 1 time in 12. I suppose I could have been more cautious with using her hive mind powers knowing the consequences of failure (especially for a psyker that couldn't be put in a unit).

Gargoyles
In 20/20 hindsight, I should have divided them into 3 broods of 10 and bought them all naked to save points. Against Tau with full markerlight support, I could pretty much guarantee that they were all going to die in the first salvo since they were in front and they were the most immediate close combat threat to his gunline. Since Tau are really the only army that can easily ignore cover with all of their weapons, and I've played both Tau players in the league, I can probably be confident that I'll get these guys a cover save in the next game. The question still remains whether I consider them to be fast cover and keep them naked or first-wave assault and buy them up to 8 pts.

Trygon Prime
Did pretty much exactly what I thought he would, although I would have preferred to get him into close combat with the enemy commander; against fire warriors, he is pretty much guaranteed to be out of combat the same turn he gets in, which exposes him to continuous enemy fire. Pulse rifle are much nastier than bolters against monstrous creatures, and they did the majority of the damage to him. The points I paid on the Prime upgrade were only useful for Synapse (running was always more valuable than the electrical field attack), but that was enough to keep the horms (and himself) in line, so it was probably worth it.

I'm still undecided whether the Acid Spray TFex might be a better choice; he'd be slower in the last 12", but he'd have more firepower and the 2+ armor save would have been much more valuable against the massed gunfire that brought down the Trygon.

That's it for now. Hopefully the tale has been enjoyable. More suggestions for next time are definitely welcome, as always. I've borrowed a trio of biovores, so I definitely want to get them in the mix next game.

Post subject: Re: Warp Flare League: Game 3, Chaos Theory
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:06 am 
Harpy

Finished with the BATREP, and added the pictures. Enjoy.

Post subject: Re: Warp Flare League: Game 3, Chaos Theory
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:40 am 
Tyranid Warrior

Interesting game. And I don't see too many things you could have done differently. Not much you can do when the dice turn against you, particularly at critical points. I think we've all had games like that.

Graf Spee