Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: hooks for a narrative campaign? Anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:37 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I was thinking of starting a narrative campaign with my nids against/with a friend of mine. I figured it'd give something cool to link the battles, units that gain experience and everything - and battle scenario's that may flow naturally from what happened the previous battle.

Having said that though, I think it'd be wise to have at least a few story hooks to start the campaign and to make sure we can keep it going if we're out of inspiration, or nothing epic happened during a battle.

That's where I run into a road block, though. I can't for the life of me imagine why any army would do anything but a fighting retreat to get off a planet as quickly as possible once a tyranid invasion has started. What objectives would an army have to, or wish to, accomplish when fighting the tyranids? Any suggestions?

Hive Fleet Charybdis

Post subject: Re: hooks for a narrative campaign? Anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:45 pm 
Gaunt

You could borrow a page from the Anphelion Project: Mechanicus personnel trying to experiment with the 'nids. Meanwhile the bugs react with force, not taking kindly to being poked and prodded. The experiment gets out of hand and the 'nids run wild, consuming the science team and then the planetary biomass, the Shadow in the Warp springing to life when the swarm reaches critical mass.

Sound cool?

Space Marines: we dare you to eat just one!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:51 pm 
Medium One

Tyranid Invasion Campaign

Have been thinking about a Tyranid invasion campaign. It would be a series of escalating battles, starting very small and working up to an Apocalypse battle. The invasion stages are loosely based on the invasion stages described in the Apocalypse book on page 147. In the first stages of the campaign, the Imperials do not know that it is the beginning of a Tyranid invasion and this only becomes clear in the later stages of the campaign.

Notes
Force Organization Charts will have to be modified as needed, especially for the Tyranids.
Force deployments will have to be modified as needed for scenarios.
Alternate locations
Any of these scenarios could take place in a city, although this would probably involve the Adeptus Arbites at an earlier time.

Stage 1: Vanguard

1a. A local sheriff/policeman* has been called to investigate a brutal family murder in a very small town/rural area. Arriving at the bloody scene, he calls for local backup (in cars/trucks, not armored vehicles) and they face a Genestealer infestation or Genestealer Cult** cell. This could be very small with no heavy weapons, even under 100 points.
This scenario could be repeated or multiple similar versions played at that same time to accommodate however many players you have. Horror movies could be used for inspiration for setting the scene in these early scenarios.

* There must be local law enforcement agencies that work at lower level that Adeptus Arbites. I can't see that there would be Arbites facilities located in every podunk town on a planet.

** If you have no Cult models, use Necromunda gangers, etc.

1b. The law enforcement team get off a radio message requesting reinforcements before they die. A larger force from the sheriff's office responds with more men, more vehicles (perhaps with one heavy stubber armed armored car). The Genestealer infestation or Genestealer Cult cell fights back... 500 points?

2a. The same law enforcement team (assuming they survived) is called to investigate a similar event in a small town a ways away (30-50 miles) from the first incident. Either because of their experience (if they survived), or because of radio calls the previous team made before dying, they go into town heavy: with trucks and multiple armored cars and all of the sheriffs in the county. Turns out the town has been completely taken over by a 'Stealer Cult or the Genestealer Infestation formation in the Apocalypse Reload book (1 Broodlord, Lictors and 'Stealers).

2b. Similar (larger) scenario but add a Harridan (although I can't really imagine how a Harridan would "infiltrate" a planet) and Gargoyles. since there are few Harridan models out there, I would suggest substituting Harpies and/or Shrikes, even though they properly belong to the Primary Incursion Stage.

Tyranid Invasion Campaign Stage 2: Primary Incursion

Adeptus Arbites have been notified of a potential Tyranid threat by local law enforcement and are sending Arbites forces to the area to investigate the "rumors". Arbites leadership has not informed the planetary Governor at this point.

3. This is the initial Hive Fleet invasion force. In addition to the Broodlord, Genestealers, Gargoyles and Lictors, add Winged Tyrants, Shrikes, Harpies and all types of 'Gaunts. There are a number of models that are not listed in the Apocalypse book because the book predates 5th edition. I would add the following models to this stage: Hive Guard and Venomthropes.
Imperial Adeptus Arbites forces arrive on a random turn (1-4, roll aD6 and reroll 5s and 6s until you get a number between 1 and 4) as the Spores come in. The game turn count actually begins the turn the Imperial forces arrive.

All models except Broodlord, Genestealers, Gargoyles and Lictors (but they can arrive in spores if desired), arrive in basic Mycetic Spores (at no cost?) at a given number of Spores per turn. Divide the number of incoming Spores by four and have that number arrive each turn to represent the continuous rain of spores. Tyranid played decides which troops come in each spore for each turn.

4. Adeptus Arbites forces realize that there is a serious problem and contact the Planetary Governor who sends Planetary Defense forces to rescue the Arbites. I am not sure if anyone has figured out what the differences are between a PDF Regiment and an Imperial Guard Regiment, other than the Guard's space transport and access to Titan Legions and orbital support. Any assistance appreciated.
For this scenario, choose from the Imperial Guard list although you might want to limit Heavy Support.

Tyranid Invasion Campaign Stage 3: Synapse Swarm

Planetary Defence forces are engaged and the Planetary Governor has called for Imperial Guard and Adeptus Astartes assistance and is told that help is coming, but will take awhile to arrive.

5. This is the second stage of the Hive Fleet invasion. In addition to the Stage 1 and 2 forces, add the following 5th edition forces to the Synapse Swarm list on page 147 of the Apocalypse book: Swarmlord, Tervigon, Tyranid Prime, Pyrovore (LOL!), Rippers. All Tyranid forces can arrive by Spore, deploy on the table or start in reserve.

Imperial forces. The PDF fights on

Advance contingents from Imperial Guard and/or Space Marines have arrived. The combined points of Imperial Guard and Space Marines may make up no more than 25% of the Imperial army.
Imperial Guard: Command Squad, 1 x Infantry Platoon, Sentinel Squadrons
Space Marines: Space Marine Captain, Scout Squads, Rhinos, Bike Squad, 1 x Land Speeder Squadron, Scout Bike Squads

Tyranid Invasion Campaign Stage 4: Heavy Assault Wave
Imperial Guard and/or Space marines arrive

6. This is the third and final stage of the Hive Fleet invasion. In addition to the Stage 1, 2 and 3 forces, add the following 5th edition forces to the Synapse Swarm list on page 147 of the Apocalypse book: Mawlock, Tyrannofex.

Imperial forces
Imperial Guard and Space Marine codexes

7. The Grand Finale. Its on baby! Full on Apocalypse game.

Further notes
Have been thinking about this campaign a while, but this is the first time I have written anything down, so use it as a starting point, not as a finished document. I sure that there is plenty that needs fixing/revision. Have fun with it.

Just got Planetstrike and have not had much of a chance to look at it. Probably some ideas in there.

Add Parasite, Doom and Old One Eye? Good question... Were it me running the campaign, I would probably not allow any special characters on either side.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:39 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

in this case though, you and the opponent change army list various times, and not just the list, but the entire codex. You go from civilians vs cultists to arbites vs nids to space marines vs nids.

I'm just planning either space marines vs nids or eldar vs nids. Maybe my space marines come to call and maybe my wife's orks for a game or 2, but other than that, it would be pretty much astartes vs nids full time. So what would bring (for example) astartes to fight a prolonged campaign against tyranids, and what mission objectives would both sides have in that? Same for eldar vs nids, or orks vs nids?

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:50 am 
Gaunt

vonny wrote:
I'm just planning either space marines vs nids or eldar vs nids. Maybe my space marines come to call and maybe my wife's orks for a game or 2, but other than that, it would be pretty much astartes vs nids full time. So what would bring (for example) astartes to fight a prolonged campaign against tyranids, and what mission objectives would both sides have in that? Same for eldar vs nids, or orks vs nids?

Hmmm... possible ideas below.

SMs vs. Bugs: A protracted campaign for any imperial unit against Tyranids would probably span several planets with several different terrain styles. If the imperials managed to score a major victory in space, the SMs could conceivably take the fight to the enemy. As I understand it, the Imperium wages war against aliens for two reasons: people and territory (along with the resources both of those bring).

Eldar vs. Bugs: I think the Doom of Malan'Tai fluff says it all. The 'nids want life energy as well as biomass. The Eldar would fight like demons to defend their dead. Either an Exodite world or a Craftworld, it would matter little to either combatants. Flesh and spirit, the 'nids want them both. And given the fierce fighting on both sides, it would probably take a while.

Orks vs. Bugs: More simple and yet more complicated. Simple because the big green guys don't fight for reasons, they just fight. So getting the two together is easy. However, making a detailed plot around orks can be a bit harder as orks aren't real deep thinkers. You might try the idea of a new ork waagh centered around a 'nid infestation. I can see the orks deliberately throwing themselves at a world in the last stages of infestation (biotitans and all) because of the "proper fightin'" they'd find there. ;)

Space Marines: we dare you to eat just one!