Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: =][= Tyranid Pre-History =][=
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:51 pm 
Harpy

OK, done with this particular thread. Hopefully it was entertaining. My goal was to tie together as much of the background as possible into a complete and detailed story that plausibly defined what the Tyranids are and why they are here, and keeping them as a natural evolutionary product; since everything else in the galaxy seems to flow from the Necrons/C'Tan or the Old Ones, I thought it might be nice to have a race that was actually just out there on its own, trying to survive and grow without being a bio-weapon or science experiment gone awry. Thanks for the readership, and I'll be thinking of more for later. If there is any background that completely negates what I've postulated here I would love to hear about it....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:34 am 
The Red Terror

Very cool, not how I personally see the Tyranids developing, but a unique twist. Maybe I'll do my own version sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:12 am 
Hydraphant

I really like what you have done! It is a unique approach on a very shady (fluff wise) matter. I didn't have the time to read the last few parts, but I will!

I have a addition to make, none the less.

In the pre-historic tales about 40k it is all about gods. And we know, that the old ones have been destroyed. And the eldar gods are dead.
Except for one. The Laughing god. ever since reading the book "Xenology" I had the theory, that he, leaving the galaxy, created the tyranids to destroy the necron gods and the gods in the warp. Since nids don't use technology as we understand it, the can't be overthrown by the C'tan. And since they have no souls, no food for the warp either.

A good point to bring this (even in a very hypothetical way) into your story, would be the point where the phage cells learn to actually manipulate genetic material to their needs. I would not go that far as giving them a real self-awareness, since moral and ethic doesn't suite nids, but the possibility or lets say the tool to reach they, rather primitive, goals.

It sounds like something someone would do, who is wearing a laughing mask...

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:32 pm 
Biomass

Great piece Eidre. I have always liked the idea of the tyranids being separate from the rest of the 40K galaxy but never really thought about how they would have evolved. The idea of the Laughing god having a hand... Well mythology wise some trickster god were the most powerful. Or were locked away in the case of Loki in order to keep the world safe from them

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:53 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

wonderful piece of writing, eidre. Thanks for allowing me to read it :)

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:11 am 
Medium One

(Almost) Nothing to say but good things about this story. I am in (almost) complete agreement with all of your propositions. If you don't mind, I'd like to present counter-arguments in a similar manner to your argument.

Revered Doric Urlth; Magus Biologis for the Hordo Xenus under the direct jurisdiction of the Lord Inquisitor Aeilis Marso.

Having read the findings of your research I felt obliged to compare the behaviour patterns of hive fleets form direct observation, to your proposition of a posible template for consumption pattern. As was expected, my observations where almost perfectly linked to the sugested patterns of your research, with a small number of outliers that deserve further investigation.

Following my own modest observations, I have concluded that there are only two viable reasons for which a hive fleet would ignore, or even avoid the prospect of consumable bio-mass and phage-accepting species. These two reasons are very much the same as followed by most known species, including man. The coolective genus known as the Tyranid race avoids two things only; what will give no benefit - in other words, the certainty that the consumption of a system will not give off more mass than it will cost - and the things it is un-able to understand. The first is not common, since it has been seen in many battle fields that in case the phage mind should notice a negative correlation between time and bio-mass absorved, it would face this problem by introducing Hive Tyrants, Tervigons, and other synapse creatures to oversee more complex strategies with which to overcome the obstacle. The second however, has proven to be almost certain. Much in the way that a man will feel reluctant to enter a dark cave of unknown content, the Tyranid fleets will avoid the necron race for it's radically diferent psichic signals (much like the way our own researchers are still confused by the necron technology). The phage mind avoids the necrons as something it can't understand, yet it has shown that it is willing to at least attempt the investigation. All of the several obesrvations carried out on the Tyranid hive fleets show a clear change of behaviour when aproaching necron worlds, yet there are reports that show that occasionally a small fleet of vanguard ships will attempt an investigation of the planet. This would pose a major problem to your proposition of the phage-repeling agent. If this agent was developed and introduced to imperial worlds, the Tyranids would stop the attacks on the Imperium almost immediately, but this state of relative safety from the phage-ming would be doomed to end. As soon as a considerable number of vanguard fleets found that in some of the worlds where the odd psichic output is found one can find fair amounts of bio-mass it would lead incursions on all the worlds currently using this agent, and learn that sometimes it is worth the risk. In time, and perhaps even more alarming than the agent loosing effectiveness, the Tyranids would lead extencive research on the agent, and perhaps come to understand it, and I canno't imagine the posible outcome if the Tyranids came to understand the nature of the necron race...

Following this same theory, if the Tyranids indeed avoid the un-comprehencible it would explain why the hive fleets do not head for the eye of terror, and why the seem to have no interest in the forces of chaos. Yet as if sugested by your research the Tyranids not only understand how the power of the warp works, but can even control it to some extenct, my guessing is that the eye of terror would already be asiled by Tyranid fleets in an attempt to access it's seemingly endless suply of bio-mass and asimilate more powerfull psiker organism into it's gene pool.

On another note, you sugested that in the most dire of times the Imperium might even be forced to shut down the Astronomican. While this would hault the Tyranid advance towards holy terra, the outcome would be the fall of the Imperium of man; it would cause it to crumble upon its own glory, leaving thousands of stranded human factions that would soon begin to fight amongst themselves for supremasy. A number of grwesome outcomes would happen from this. Firstly, the human race would have little to no chance of fending against the forces of chaos, the ork 'Waaaaaghs' and all other races atempting to destroy us. Similarly, though holy terra might posibly the greatest stronghold in the galaxy, it only stands thanks to the susteinance it recieves from the galactic empire it commands. Without this empire, the solar system would soon see it's resources run out, and the necron race would once more attempt an aproach to mars, and this time there would be no human power that could stop them. Even if the human race survives all of the perils listed above, the crumbling of the empire would make it imposible for a governing body to continue implementing the anti-Tyranid protocols you sugested, leading to some factions ignoring the protocol, and some others even implementing it too harshly.

Though I have looked for one and a thousand ways out of this, my research sugests that there is no posible salvation to man kind, other than a miracle.

I cinceerly hope I am wrong.

I hope that my research has some errors I was un-able to identify, and that the Imperium, or at least humanity has a chance at survival. And in this hope, I transfer my findings to you in hope that you can find that I am wrong.

The Emperor Protects.

Signed,
//s//
Martum Gais
Magus Biologis
(Xenobiologica)