Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Tyranids... what are we?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:11 pm 
Big One

Woa! Blast from the past.

This is thread necromancy, but I guess that little clause "unless you have something to add" does excuse it. What a post!

"So Mr. Shoggoth, what's the reason for this loan?"
"To maximize variations capability of the alien invasion of Terra"
"Come again?"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:47 pm 
Broodling

I couldn't help but post >.< I'm still perusing through the vast amount of threads available. Digging up neat ideas or concepts to add to my current lists or fuel conversion ideas etc. My last post (as long winded is it was) was but one concept I enjoy. The post before mine was Dec. 2010 I felt a couple months wasn't that bad and mine was different than others and hopefully as enjoyable as previously posted theories.

My Splinter Fleet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:38 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I certainly enjoyed the read!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:12 am 
Biomass

I unfortunately intend to perform yet another act of thread necromancy, but hope that my theory can excuse it.

After reading all (!) of this thread it occurred to me that no one had entertained the idea that there was an original, sentient protonid civilisation. Bear with me before you scoff off my theory.

Assuming that other planets can have evolution similar to Earth's then I propose that the protonids were a dinosaurian race that eventually formed an agricultural civilisation. The protonids (think basic Warriors or Tyrants maybe) had to progress extremely quickly through the agricultural stage however, as their ravenous appetites did not allow for conservation of food (biomass). The protonid world however had a lack of metals and so did not allow for a similar evolution to ours. They instead used a cultivated plant to grow buildings and the like. As they grew further in sentience more and more psykers cropped up in their midst until eventually the entire civilisation was comprised of psykers.

Their next step of evolution was to psychically link the entire race in a mental collective allowing for individual thought that would add to the collective. As the collective grew stronger it became aware of the increasing nutrition problem it began to ponder extraterrestrial travel. Through delicate manipulation it modified the DNA of an unborn protonid to give it wings. When it was matured the collective mind turned the tables upon it and forced it to fly as high as it could. When the creature inevitably reached the 'death zone' of the atmosphere in which it could find no nutrients it died, but not before providing the collective mind with the information about the lack of air and extreme cold of the high atmosphere. The collective mind repeated its experiment many times, providing its subjects with increasingly efficient respiratory systems and resistance to cold, as well as improved sense for better documentation of the experiment. The end result was a bloated air-sack that could last in vacuum for 10 minutes and document the conditions. The collective refrained from directly controlling its subjects until they discovered the secret of effective air conditioning and recycling. Pleased with the development the collective mind sent up satellites that could last for many days. However this was a dead end of development, specially created satellites could not do much in the vacuum and the food problem began to become desperate. So the collective mind began to try to create towers of the nidplant that would reach into the vacuum and be fed by the planet below. It eventually succeeded and now had a tower with which it could reach the sky. From the top of the tower spores were launched, resembling the air-sack satellites of before, that contained protonids to hopefully colonise another planet. Many attempts failed due to inhospitable planets but by a stroke of luck there was another Earth-like planet in the system that received a spore. Under the watchful guidance of the collective mind (which is beginning to become the protonids as a whole) the protonids from the spore quickly dominate the planets basic lifeforms and build an identical civilistation and tower with one important difference, the formerly dominant race of the planet is brought under the control of the collective mind. Raptor-like in appearance (gaunts) they became useful as grunt workers for the protonids. The distrustful collective mind stopped them from advancing in evolution, preferring to keep them as underlings rather than equals. Due to its beginnings in the minds of the protonids the collective mind had difficulty in keeping control over the gaunts at distance, so it used the protonids as a transmitter of its will. Once the transfer of biomass to sustain the population had been completed, the collective mind began to try to create vessels that could travel through space. Yet again, many attempts failed but eventually space travel was achieved in the form of living, semi-sentient bioships.

Now that it had bioships the collective mind was faced with a conundrum, would his subjects survive the long harshness of intergalactic travel?* The short answer was no. So then the collective mind began the process of creating its greatest achievement, the Norn Queen. The collective mind spent a total of four centuries experimenting and perfecting the Norn Queen before it got it right. The collective mind granted a massive amount of sentience to the Norn Queen, rivaling that of the diminishing intelligence of the protonids. The collective mind (henceforth known as the Hive Mind) then took the biggest gamble of its existence, dissolving the whole protonid and gaunt races into biomass for the Norn Queens and embedding the Norn Queens with their DNA, then setting the bio-ships with their precious cargo into the stars, each to a different pinprick of light.

Many failed to reach their destinations, due to asteroids and the like, and some reached lifeless worlds and once more set off into the void, searching for nutrients in a dormant state, slowly decaying. However, three of the bioships reached lush worlds, ripe for consumption. The Hive Mind greedily absorbed these planets, using the gaunts and protonids (henceforth Warriors) to gather the biomass. This method was not effective or efficient and this fact infuriated the Hive Mind (that was still barely capable of human recognisable emotions). On one of the prey worlds a worm like creature was observed devouring biomass and rocks with its sharp teeth and acidic saliva. Bent on using these creatures as biomass collectors the Hive Mind easily broke their simple minds and reproduced them in the billions on all of the bioships and effectively devoured all of the prey worlds. The process repeats many times, with many bioships going into hibernation and becoming dead biomass but a small percentage of the bioships reaching suitable prey-worlds and multiplying.

Then, one of the bio-ships from the home-world of the protonids entered a system containing a sentient race. The Hive Mind sent down gaunts and Warriors but these were beaten back easily as they were relatively defenseless. The Hive Mind quickly got the picture and modified its gaunts and Warriors into, well warriors. They were given large claws and talons with which it fought the defenders.

The battle raged for weeks with gaunts and warriors fighting the four armed defenders in fierce close combat battles. However in this war of attrition there was an unusual result. The bioship, its resources exhausted from its massive interstellar voyage, sent down its last warriors and promptly crashed into the planet, severing the contact with the Hive Mind. Its interest aroused, the Hive Mind sent several dormant bioships in the nearby area to follow up the attack. This time the battle fell quickly in favour of the Tyranids, but the Hive Mind in what can only be seen as admiration allowed these creatures, the predecessors to our genestealers, to keep their broods intact and used them as shock troops from then on in.

*Unmentioned protonid astronomers and philosophers that gave the protonids an accurate view of the universe

That's all I can do for the moment, I'll finish it when I can.

Hive Fleet Plagariusedo: Still in construction.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:10 am 
Big One

My theory was as all the species passed through the warp, fragmantes of body and minds were lost and a single bug(guessing a cockroach) became trapped for an indefinite period rapidly melding and altering it's psyche and body until it finally realized it's own existence. As time passed that original insect learned to collect matter of all forms and Reshape it to
It's own uses, even granting intelligence of exceptional magnitude. Finally it collected enough to wage war on the infinite galaxies unseen. For ever trapped inside the warp the original bug can only extend it's tentacles through to send forth the legions of nids to devour all in the name of evolving. Collecting many variations of DNA to create better generations to do the same.

Accurate or not that's the story line I'm going with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7