Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Genestealer cult so far-6 games in.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:13 pm 
Big One

I am not going to do full battle reports, just some highlights and some lessons learned at the very end. The night before a tournament I went up against a castellan robot list with 4 of them and 3 hq's for close to 1K in 1 unit. I just kept him in CC and went for objectives and it was an easy win.

1500 Cult with allied nids (Tournament didn't allow Super heavies, D weapons, formations and was highlander-so no spamming anything other than troops.)
CAD
HQ 1 Patriarch ML2 115
HQ 1 Magus ML 2 with The Crouchling 85
Elite 20 Pure Strain Genestealers 280
Elite 10 Hybrid Metamorphs, 8 lash whips, 2 claws and cult icon 120
Troops 20 Acolyte Hybrids with cult icon 170
Troops 16 Neophyte Hybrids with 2 GL's and 2 Mining Lasers 120
Heavy 1 Leman Russ Exterminator with hull lascannon 140

Cult Total 1030

Allies
HQ 1 Hive Tyrant-Wings and 2 Devourers 230
Troops 1 Mucolid 15
Heavy 1 Carnifex with Dual Devourers 150
No Slot 1 Drop Pod 75
Nid Total 470

Models 73 Total Points 1500

So the tournament itself:
Game 1 vs Chaos and Khorne Daemonkin.
This game was a blowout for me and wasn’t really fair/a good matchup. His army was barely put together and he had no extra models to summon. Highlights were using the horror to pin 20 chaos marines 3 turns in a row and the metamorphs jumped out at I7 and killed a unit of khorne berserks before they could strike but then get mowed down by bolters the next turn. His old school chaos CC rules were not up to the cult at all. 10-1 for me.

Game 2 vs Tau.
He castled his entire army in an aegis so he could get crazy supporting fire. It was some broadsides, a FW riptide, crisis suits, ghostkeel, hammerhead and pathfinders. Turn 1 I stayed out of range and LOS and jumped my entire army off the board besides the hive tyrant that was out of LOS so his turn 1 he couldn't even fire a shot. T2 I came on all around him but no charges. I kept the pathfinders pinned, did some damage to his broadside unit, made the hammerhead jink and used paroxysm on his broadside unit. I really could have used either invisibility on the magus (with 3 rolls trying) or endurance on the patriarch (2 rolls on biomancy). On his turn he killed a full 10 man acolyte squad, assaulted my neophytes with the ghost keel and took out about 1/2 the genestealers-good thing they have a 5++ now. Next turn I was able to assault and kill the broadsides and pathfinder unit. Then it was just attrition as I wore down his units 1 at a time while scoring more and more points. Turn 5 was going to be our last turn and at the end of mine I was up 10-4. All he had was his FW riptide, hammerhead and 1 crisis suit. He needed to get my hive tyrant off an objective that had landed to get me some more points. So his crisis suit shoots the hive tyrant and gets me down to 1 wound after I jinked and had FNP so then he assaults me, on overwatch I take off one of his 2 wounds. So now I have 4 attacks to kill him, I get 2 hits, so a bit below average and then since I am S6 vs T4 I need a 2+ on either dice to kill him and I roll double 1's... He attacks me back and hitting on 5's gets 2 hits and wounding on 6's gets 1 wound... I fail my 3+ save and my 5+ FNP and his one wound crisis suit at I2 kills my 1 wound hive tyrant in CC. That alone got him an insane 7 points! He wins 11-10. It was incredibly unlikely and we laughed about it. He went on to win the whole thing.

Game 3 vs BA and deathwatch (oh joy-great matchup!).
This table has a huge highway on it and he puts his land raider up top but since I am going first and my genestealers got the good warlord trait I assault it first turn and did 3 wounds. The rest of my army jumps on and off the board getting objectives. His army is 1/3 in a Storm Raven, 1/3 in the deathwatch flyer and 1/3 in the land raider + scouts. This game the ability for the cult to jump off and on really shined and I crushed him on maelstrom points for another 10-1 victory. His stormraven stayed off to turn 4 so coming in piecemeal really hurt him.

Game 4 vs Dark Eldar
I don’t know DE well at all but it was a hilarious game in some ways. I was going first and it was DOW so I put my hive tyrant right in the middle and I got the warlord trait that allowed my Patriarch/genestealers to pick the cult roll (so appear and assault in the same turn) and also had endurance on them. So he measures out the range of my flyrant and puts his entire army in the corner with a wall of chumps to block me from assaulting anything good with my genestealers. Then he leaves a bike unit out in the open in the middle of the board across from me. This game was pretty funny because he was very crazy about making sure I wasn’t cheating or anything lol and we have only played once before but I beat him pretty badly that time so maybe he was bitter? He’s actually a youtube player so I will post that video when it goes up. At the start he cut my cards into 6 decks and was really separating and counting them to make sure all 36 were there. Laugh 1. So I decided to go after the bikes and get first blood with my genestealers. Before he started his turn one he recorded a bit for his viewers saying he had set a trap for me with those bikes and I took the bait which was pretty funny because it got me first blood and it allowed my stealers to leap into cover with their consolidations so with stealth they had a 4+ cover save. If I had gone after his main army that he had bubbled wrapped I would have killed a crappy unit and be left out in the open entirely so I choose to go for the easy kill and then sweep towards him. Laugh 2. Then during the game I was using my warpshadow tyranid dice and at one point I had a green wound marker dice in my hand and needed to make a roll so I used it instead of my warpshadow dice and he asked me why I was using a different dice lol. I said… it happened to be in my hand. Laugh 3. My strategy was use the genestealers and then I dropped the dakkafex right into his zone to keep him pinned in his zone (for some reason he picked the side with less objectives on it) and it worked as I kept him pinned in his zone and I kept racking up the points. He focused so much on the genestealers that had 4+ cover and 4+ FNP instead of my weaker units that were jumping around and scoring objectives so I ended up winning 10-1.

So I ended up going 3-1 and the game I lost was pretty flukey because of that crisis suit, even if my tyrant was alive I would have won. He needed to not only survive the overwatch and my attacks but kill me in CC. I am still waiting for them to post overall results but they should be pretty good.

Then yesterday I had a game vs an ork player from the tournament that wanted to try our lists from the tournament against each other-his list was not optimized at all.
He had 2 30 man boy squads (just t-shirt save), one with a painboy. Then a unit of 10 nob bikers, 10 grots in reserve and one bomber. I hit his 30 man squad with FNP with my genestealers turn 1 (I had endurance as well) and killed like 20 as well as his nob (but not the painboy)-he was fearless. Then he assaulted me with his other 30 man squad and after a few rounds of combat I had killed both 30 man units. So he lost 500-600 of boys and I had a full patriarch and 4 genestealers left. Then I attacked his bikes and killed a few before they wiped me out.

Lessons learned about the cult (not really surprising):
1) Genestealers are tough mothers now. If you can get them invisibility or endurance it makes them so much tougher. They can absorb a charge as well as give them because they are high I with 5++ and stealth is awesome.
2) The cult is SO GOOD at maelstrom. I just placed objectives as far apart as I could and in corners etc and then just jumped all over them, like out of LOS but holding an objective on the other side of the wall etc. However I did had one unit in one game that rolled 1 3 times and just kept walking on the board edge which sucked but 4 of 6 results is like a deep strike with no scatter so pretty amazing.
3) Magus I like telepathy to try to get invisibility with the crouchling so 3 rolls (I never got it in 6 games so far lol). Patriarch I like biomancy because endurance is amazing on them but Iron arm allows him to murder knights, land raiders etc and warp speed is good plus enfeeble is always good. I used it against the DE to make them S2 so even if I went through cover and they went first they are now wounding on 6’s.

5/6 for the cult so far with one fluke loss. :)

On a side note Krewl Rainz's chaos daemons won best painting with 23 of 24 votes and the one vote not for her, was herself LOL.

5500 Marines

In that order!!!

Post subject: Re: Genestealer cult so far-6 games in.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:05 pm 
Biotitan

That flyrant thing had to be one of the best moments of the whole event LOL, its like the changeling snuck into your game and messed with your fate xD

Wait I had that Tau player for my first round and we had something similar happen. I'm getting my butt handed to me, I am just too rusty at 40K and was unsure how to deal with his list. I drew the dominion of chaos card. If I roll the result of how many objectives I control, I get that many points. I messed up my positioning with eliminating the hammerhead tank and was out of range of one objective, so he was being a nice sport and let me re position them. He didn't think I would get the roll off. I had 5 objectives, I rolled a 5... I am all... OH NO, he cant loose for being a good sport xD We couldn't believe it. I'm just all, we fudge the score in your favor if I do win because that's not fair to loose for being nice in a tournament lol. He was able to secure more points and still win, few lol.

I know the Khorne Daemonkin player well and I felt he should of allied in some better options, because he does have deamons. He couldn't take his Bloodthirster due to no D so that was a bit of a hit to his force. I was really board when I faced his force, then the boredom went away when my luck when to crap. Then came some hilarious moments due to said bad luck.

Quote:
On a side note Krewl Rainz's chaos daemons won best painting with 23 of 24 votes and the one vote not for her, was herself LOL.

LOL yeah... I am still pretty shocked on that best painted award... My tyranids could never pull that off painting wise, makes me feel even more bummed out about nids... when your army sucks and the painting on them is ages old TT. I have a really ambitious display board in planning for my daemons too, but I would of never got it done for the event. I may take a shot at next years Armies on Parade with it.

Who did I vote for? Macbeth my nemesis! I envy his precision painting skillz lol

I REALLY liked this years MMM. The maelstrom cards just add a new layer of dynamics. Makes you feel like you have a chance at anything.

Post subject: Re: Genestealer cult so far-6 games in.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:37 pm 
Big One

KrewL RaiN wrote:
That flyrant thing had to be one of the best moments of the whole event LOL, its like the changeling snuck into your game and messed with your fate xD

Wait I had that Tau player for my first round and we had something similar happen. I'm getting my butt handed to me, I am just too rusty at 40K and was unsure how to deal with his list. I drew the dominion of chaos card. If I roll the result of how many objectives I control, I get that many points. I messed up my positioning with eliminating the hammerhead tank and was out of range of one objective, so he was being a nice sport and let me re position them. He didn't think I would get the roll off. I had 5 objectives, I rolled a 5... I am all... OH NO, he cant loose for being a good sport xD We couldn't believe it. I'm just all, we fudge the score in your favor if I do win because that's not fair to loose for being nice in a tournament lol. He was able to secure more points and still win, few lol.

I know the Khorne Daemonkin player well and I felt he should of allied in some better options, because he does have deamons. He couldn't take his Bloodthirster due to no D so that was a bit of a hit to his force. I was really board when I faced his force, then the boredom went away when my luck when to crap. Then came some hilarious moments due to said bad luck.

Quote:

LOL yeah... I am still pretty shocked on that best painted award... My tyranids could never pull that off painting wise, makes me feel even more bummed out about nids... when your army sucks and the painting on them is ages old TT. I have a really ambitious display board in planning for my daemons too, but I would of never got it done for the event. I may take a shot at next years Armies on Parade with it.

Who did I vote for? Macbeth my nemesis! I envy his precision painting skillz lol

I REALLY liked this years MMM. The maelstrom cards just add a new layer of dynamics. Makes you feel like you have a chance at anything.

Yeah I love the maelstrom cards, just makes the game more interesting and dynamic!

5500 Marines

In that order!!!