Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First Experiences with Space Hulk
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:40 am 
The Red Terror

I know it's not technically my first experience, but it is my first proper experience.

Anyway, I played with my friend Ian, and after a few trials of the few mission, getting the rules down, we were able to have a fun time. He held off wave after wave of Genestealer with the Powersword Seargent, as he covered the back of the Heavy Flamer Terminator winning the first mission.

During the second mission, he put his Autocannon into Overwatch, and I used sheer bodies of stealers to run his ammo dry. With some lucky rolls I was able to take out the Stormshield/Stormhammer Seargent, and with only 4 Genestealers to 1 Stormbolter Terminator, he made some very lucky Overwatch rolls, and was able to take me down, winning the second mission.

We're probably going to play the rest of the missions soon, but it was an enjoyable time.

Post subject: Re: First Experiences with Space Hulk
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:39 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

hey Node.

You got a genestealer win in the second mission? I've never managed to do that. The termis move into overwatch positions too well and take me out whenever they feel like it, not even needing to use the sergeant.

I once ran the assault cannon dry as well, but I had to run right into the by then well-prepared positions of the other termies and died all the same

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:27 pm 
The Red Terror

No I think you mis-read my post. But pretty much my mission play-through turned out exactly the same :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:45 pm 
Medium One

Heh, so far my brother and I are still working out the kinks of Space Hulk, and have yet to pull off our Marine victories. We've gotten damn close...but there is something about the endless swarm of genies coming from who knows where in the end changing what looks like victory to hopeless hopeless defeat.

So far Nids of 10-1; since we swap off each game and replay the mission. The only marine victory was from my wife who watched the mission twice before playing it. Now if only she'd play more often...

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:30 am 
The Red Terror

The most important things to remember for a marine victory are:

1) Overwatch: Mostly because everytime a Genestealer makes an action within the range, the marine gets a free shot.

and

2) Using moves to shoot. I.e. you can move backward or forward while making a free shot, so you can kill while covering ground.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:28 am 

And in many missions: hurry! you only have a finite number of marines, and there's often an infinite number of genestealers. The quicker you are, the less genestealers you face, the less chance you have of a bad die roll ruining your day.

The first mission for example you have to get past the crossroads before the genestealers get there, or you'll never take that point.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:53 am 
Medium One

Yeah the sheer numbers are what kills me. Like on Saturday in the rescue mission; I was able to push fast enough to make it to the final corridor with the cat, but was facing...10 blips in that hallway

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:10 pm 
Monstrosity

I've gotten marine victories on the first three missions. I think that the key is speed, and if necessary, sacrificing some shooting. Leaving one or two termies to watch the other's backs in Overwatch is also helpful.

http://warhammer40kcreator.googlepages.com

"Joey doesn't share food!!!!!!!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:25 pm 

I've yet to pull of a genestealer victory in mission 2.

Did manage a few draws though: Just refusing to move into the firing lines of the marines, and nobody wins. Think that's an oversight in the game... and we count it as a genestealer loss as the mission fluff says it's to delay the genestealers moving in...

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:20 am 
Little One

Mission 2 really doesn't seem practically winnable for the 'stealers. There's a finite number of them, and the marines can easily set up to force the stealers to run down a couple of long hallways to reach them; between overwatch, the ability to spend command points to shoot out of sequence and clear jams, and the sheer distance the stealers need to cover, any competent marine player should be able to do it with no losses.

The marines just sit tight and wait. Stealers eventually get tired of waiting, charge and die.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:41 pm 
Not Loukang

Well in previous edition it was even harder since overwatch did not benefit from sustained fire. Now, killing a Stealer on a 5+ on 2 die is really a milkrun. The new rule set is nice but somehow I think that it is really easy for marines to win. Since the Genestealers did not really benefit from many new nasty rules changes. Well of course maybe I play too much with the old rules mindset and thus missing something completely :)

Cheers !

Lak