Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What's the scoop on Space Hulk?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:13 am 
Great Devourer

So what is the deal with this game? Is it completely out of print? About to be resurrected?

I have seen some files posted on the web for various parts of the game (and downloaded a few), but is everything you need to play freely downloadable? If not, how do I go about giving my Genestealers their own outer space playground?

And how many GS does it take to play? How many terminators?

Inquiring hiveminds want to know... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:32 am 
Synapse Node

Out of print, no plans to ressurect it as far as anyone knows. This is all that seems to be left of the GW official information to be found online. I posted some links to downloadable rules and other material at the end of this thread, other than that you'll have to hope someone replies who's actually played the game :wink:

Their eyes were cold and harsh,
Which made them tough to chew...

Post subject: Re: What's the scoop on Space Hulk?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:25 pm 
Hatchling

Space Hulk was released twice, with relatively minor changes between editions. Both are now, sadly, long out off print, and so far, despite all rumours to the contrary, GW seems to have no realistic plans to resurrect it in the forseeable future. Shame - it was a great game. IMO, 1st ed. was by far the better product, with two expansion packs, Genestealer and Deathwing, each of which gave you new board sections, rules and miniatures. 2nd ed. had no expansions and was virtually unsupported in WD.

AFAIK, copies of all the rules and scenario books are available for download, as indeed are image files of the board sections and counters - though again, IMO, you'd have to be either seriously lazy and/or incompetant if you couldn't make functional versions of the components for yourself. Rocket science it aint! Sets still turn up on E-bay at reasonable prices too.

Here's the URL for the yahoo Space Hulk group I belong to - it has, or can direct you to, just about any Hulk resource you might need -

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SpaceHulk/

As to how many models you need... hmm... well, the original set came with 20 Genestealer models, BUT, as all your 'Stealers are represented by sensor 'blip' counters (which can actually be anything from 1 to 6 models) until the marines get LOS to them (or you choose to reveal them) you'll almost never NEED even half that many. As to Terminator models - you got 10 in the original game, including two clip-on heavy flamers. Most (if not all, IIRC) of the official missions use no more than two squads of five. Expansion sets introduced Assault Cannons, Cyclone missile launchers, Lightning claws, Thunder Hammers/Storm Shields Librarians and Captains.

I'd say that if you had four squads each with three basic Powerfist/Stormbolter Terminator models, plus a Seargent w/Powersword and the extra models to put either an Assault cannon or flamer in each squad, plus a Librarian and Captain model you'd be set for all but the most insanely large missions. Add couple of Cyclones and perhaps two guys with LC's and two with Thunder Hammers and you'd be pretty much set for anything. Having said that, I own around 60 Terminators and 120 Genestealers, all for Space Hulk, and I have run and participated in all day marathon games with 22 squads (that's 110 Terminators!) BTW, you don't want to rely on close assault troops too much - massed Genestealers in 'Hulk' can waste even close combat Terminators without too much difficulty as they tend to 'respawn' indefinitely. By and large, you don't generally want to mix it with them - ranged weapons are almost always your best bet.

Cheers

Glenn.

Phage wrote:
So what is the deal with this game? Is it completely out of print? About to be resurrected?

I have seen some files posted on the web for various parts of the game (and downloaded a few), but is everything you need to play freely downloadable? If not, how do I go about giving my Genestealers their own outer space playground?

And how many GS does it take to play? How many terminators?

Inquiring hiveminds want to know... :)

Post subject: I heard a rumour about a month ago
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:52 pm 
Hive Tyrant

That space hulk may be being re-released after the new stealer models come out. I haven't heard anything since though... so that might be a great big maybenot lol.