Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tau Cult
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:38 pm 
The Red Terror

Howdy,

Recently I've been thinking more and more about Tau-based cults, and how they can be done. Even more so after seeing that wicked Ork cult.

But I've run into a problem. Tau seem to be too aware for a Genestealer cult to be able to take hold of an entire planet for long. There are no backwater planets they inhabit like the Imperium, and most of their settlements stay in frequent contact with the larger Sept worlds.

I can't think of any way that "odd" seeming Tau brood brothers would escape the attention of uninfected Tau, and random cult/religions worshipping a Sky Mother seems a little contrary to The Greater Good.

There hasn't been much fluff released on Tau religion, but they seem like it's almost non-existent, instead cherishing the Sciences.

Perhaps the Magus would parouse as the Chief of Staff of the Earth Caste, about to unveil a marvelous new technology that would let them take the next step onto the path of the Greater Good. Hmm.

Either way, what do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Tau Cult
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:43 am 
Little One

not to mention it that the tau likely have strict decontamination protocols and thorough scans that would detect any infestation, which they could then quarantine and deal with before it gets out of hand. their caste system would be very effective in preventing a cult uprising.

The way they have grown so incredibly fast in tech practically screams external intervention... and the fact that they have next to zero warp signature or psychic abilities...

makes me wonder if the last remnants of 'the old ones' that the eldar speak of (that warred with the necrontyr and created the eldar) didnt create the Tau as a species that could take on the tyranids...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:59 pm 
Great Devourer

Hive Node wrote:
Either way, what do you guys think?
I think it is a pretty cool idea. :wink:
If memory serves me correct.... this was Hydra's original idea for his Genestealer Cult too. (See his 'crisis sentinal' here.) I'd love to see the idea carried through to completion.

Hive Node wrote:
Perhaps the Magus would parouse as the Chief of Staff of the Earth Caste, about to unveil a marvellous new technology that would let them take the next step onto the path of the Greater Good. Hmm.
Maybe. I thought that the different castes were still pretty antagonistic toward each other. The hypnotic power of a magus or patriarch sounds kind of like a more personal version of what the ethereals do. :) Just suggesting other ideas: How about the magus posing as a break away ethereal? OR even more radical, a new leader proclaiming the future is a 'blended' caste to do away with the old factions. And he has just the 'new' genetic technology to make it happen..... :P

Drakis wrote:
The way they have grown so incredibly fast in tech practically screams external intervention... and the fact that they have next to zero warp signature or psychic abilities...
True... and that thought made me pause for a moment. I wondered if a magus could arise if the host/prey species had no psychic potential at all. But I quickly realised it doesn't matter at all. The 'pure' genestealers of Ymgarl come (came?) from a host/prey species (the Csith) with no recognisable mind, let alone psychic potential. So the cult can thrive anyhow.

Drakis wrote:
makes me wonder if the last remnants of 'the old ones' that the eldar speak of (that warred with the necrontyr and created the eldar) didnt create the Tau as a species that could take on the tyranids...
Interesting idea mate. I think not through, just because the timeline is wrong. If the old ones had had a crack at it with the Tau they would be a very old race. Maybe not as old as the Eldar, but at least as old as orks or humanity. (60 million or so years.) But we know that the Tau, as they exist now, are only several thousand years old.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:18 pm 
Biotitan

If it were to happen, I would think it would be an offshoot of Commander Farsight's detail. He's the Tau Special Character that eschews the Ethereal's authority and continues to branch out and extend Tau holdings despite the requests of "High Command" to return to the fold.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:26 pm 
Little One

Yaleling wrote:
Drakis wrote:
Interesting idea mate. I think not through, just because the timeline is wrong. If the old ones had had a crack at it with the Tau they would be a very old race. Maybe not as old as the Eldar, but at least as old as orks or humanity. (60 million or so years.) But we know that the Tau, as they exist now, are only several thousand years old.

i said remnants of the old ones... whos to say that a small pocket of them isnt still alive somewhere and foresaw the coming invasion of the tyranids, and sparked some life into a growing species to adjust them... could explain the coming of the ethreals....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:56 pm 
The Red Terror

Well that is a big if, since there is no proof that there are even any Old Ones left.

Alternatively, some believe that the Tyranids were the last thing created by the Old Ones, and biological machine with no soul, that had the exact same purpose as the Necrons. Except that the Tyranids don't let life grow back, they just scour, effectively killing the C'tan.

Either way, that is a different story. With not related in regards to Tau Cults.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:23 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

Hive Node wrote:
Recently I've been thinking more and more about Tau-based cults, and how they can be done.
I don't think it should be that hard, actually.
That they don't have any backwater planets is irrelevant - the cult could spring up anywhere, if they disguise themselves right.

"What's up with that three-armed baby of yours?"
"Oh, it's part of the Ethereal's new interbreeding prgram with this new species from a nearby system. All for the greater good of course!"

The Tau already want to bring other species into the fold. They even welcomed the necron onto their planet after the necrons fended off a hive fleet that happened to be invading them. So, as long as you can hide the fact that the new species brought into the fold is actually a malign intelligence of unimaginable magnitude that devours everything in its path without distinction, remorse, or even thoughts of negotiation, things should be swell!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:38 pm 
The Red Terror

I don't know.

The Ethereals won't even let Tau breed between castes, I doubt they'd let them breed between species.

And it just seems like they'd already be aware of the Genestealer threat, they probably have biometric scans that recognize the Tyranid genetic material present in their bodies and alert the staff.

As far as we know, there may even be drones that fly around scanning civilians for the type of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:28 pm 
Big One

Hive Node wrote:
I don't know.

The Ethereals won't even let Tau breed between castes, I doubt they'd let them breed between species.

And it just seems like they'd already be aware of the Genestealer threat, they probably have biometric scans that recognize the Tyranid genetic material present in their bodies and alert the staff.

As far as we know, there may even be drones that fly around scanning civilians for the type of thing.

Ethereal=Patriarch. He'd make it happen.

I don't think that they know of Genestealer cults, and I don't think that The Imperium would be giving them information. I honestly don't think that they would be on the lookout for Hybrid Tau.

"So Mr. Shoggoth, what's the reason for this loan?"
"To maximize variations capability of the alien invasion of Terra"
"Come again?"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:57 pm 
Trygon

I think a Tau cult would look REALLY cool. I imagine more sleek and slender extra arms and such.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:16 am 
Medium One

It wouldn't be too hard, as long as the genestealers infiltrated the Earth Caste first. IIRC, they're the ones responsible for medicine, building, the sciences and stuff like that, right?

Once that happened, influenced Earth Caste workers could pass off three-armed mutant children as legitimate. They would them take them off to a special "schooling zone". Next thing you know, there's anarchy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:50 pm 
Biomass

yo you should just start making your cult models dont worry if the fluff doesnt really work. its a cool idea and perhaps during the time it takes you to do the modeling and painting you can figure out the fluff.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:17 am 
The Red Terror

I'm not trying to be a downer or anything, but it just doesn't seem very plausible anymore.

And on the basis of cool model, yes I agree, but I also like armies to remain fluffy, I don't want something too exist ony because I think the models would be awesome. I want them to have soul...

I'm not sure, maybe I'll switch to another kind of cult, like Eldar Exodites, or make a count-as Imperial Guardmen army using Lizardmen..

EDIT:

WAIT A SECOND, HOW ABOUT THIS.

Tau settler arrive on planet, native species has already been infested with Genestealers so the Tau believe it to be native morphology. Species smoothly inducted into Tau Empire. Peace talks between infected species leaders and high-ranking Water Caste/Ethereals leads to infection of higher ranking Tau. Infection slowly spreads downward taking over high rank EArth Caste officials and Fire Caste Commanders, then spreading down to the common civilian and Fire Caste warriors.

Or the infected Water Caste Magus could invite civilians and army personel to partake in a manditory ritual to better understand the natives, leading to a final Kiss of the Purii.

Brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:57 am 
Big One

yep, that sounds like a plan.

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:49 pm 
Great Devourer

Nice! That works very elegantly Hive Node. :wink:

As an aside I maintain that the Tau ignorance of the big bad things of the Galaxy and (comparative) trusting attitude toward alien races would make a genestealer infestation pretty easy. Imagine a ship of refugees fleeing Imperial space. The Tau would take them in with little thought. And a couple of infected among the crowds is all it would take. Even if the ship was redirected to a human world in Tau space the damage would still be done.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/