Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A random thought...
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:21 pm 
Medium One

I was just thinking...

- Regular humans are frail compared to mEQ.
- Genestealers are beatsticks that hit fast and tear through mEQ in close combat. They are strong. They are proud.
- Genestealer Cultists are most commonly modeled as mutated humans, often cloaked to hide disfigurement. They are frail. They cower.

Shouldn't the cultists be modeled as strong and muscular humans in body armor rather than hunched over bums in cloaks?

Post subject: Re: A random thought...
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:59 pm 
Big One

I think the hunching is more to disguise their non-human appearance (and extra arms). I`ve seen one cultist army modeled using the beefy Catachan arms and I thought it looked really good, and fitting!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:21 pm 
Great Devourer

Nice line of thinking RCT.

I think anyone could make their cultists big and muscular (as Pekel did so well) and that would be a great explanation of it. (It certainly fits better than the Catachans are bigger than 1970 Mr Universe finalists because they live on a jungle deathworld. I would have though that if life was so tough the people would be shorter and slighter due to malnourishment, and that more compact size would be a great advantage in close terrain. Such as a jungle which is trying to kill you...) :P

I've made my cultists as wretched as possible. I figure that the genestealers strength comes from the superior alien nature of its muscles rather than bulk. And that cultists try to blend in with the 'tolerated' mutants on imperial worlds. The Ministorium is certainly zealous in its preaching death to mutants but many worlds of size have populations anyhow, such as in the underhives. These communities are a great place for the more human looking hybrids. Places that are dark; long cloaks are in fashion; and having an extra arm just makes you all the more employable as a barmaid.

The other reason for me making mine as wretched as I could is that it adds to my fun of playing them. I love the hopeless, totally outclassed nature of cult armies. :D When your basic troops make the Imperial Guard look like the professional and trained army they are, you certainly get the underdog status.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:51 pm 
Monstrosity

I use Catchacan with a genestealer limb on the back. Like you, I don't think they'd be particularly scrawny or weak.