Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Quick Guide: Genestealer cult from IG
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:35 pm 
Hive Tyrant

After a look in my shiny guard codex I came to the conclusion you can make a very accurate Cult list. Here's the list of units and why they can work!
HQ

Company command! after a few looks one can clearly see it has great potential. The company commander can be thought as a genstealer and build as such. But know who make a great genestealer primarch? Colonel ' Iron Hand' Straken, he stats match that of a broodlord stats really close, Fearless, Inative 3 powerfist, and gives units near him Counter attack, and Furious charge which Reflect Cults perfectly!

Regimental Advisers: Astropaths (a.k.a. Magus') and body guards make perfect sense. Master of Ordnance, and Officer of the fleet? not so much.

Commissars. Lord commissars can make okay stealers for smaller armies, and regular Commissars make decent stealers/hybrids.

Primaris Psykers: Magus, need I say more?

Tech priests: no.

Priests: Yes! These mimic the fanatical teachings of the cult just the same and the Emperors priests.

Elites

Ogryns: In a cult these would make huge stealer hybrids created from local wildlife.

Ratlings: If you can think of a reasons to include ratlings good, other wise no.

Storm Troopers: They are far too elite for any normal cult so I'd say no.

Psyker Battle squad: in a small cult no. In a large one this can be rationalized and a bunch of psychically active Hybrids and magi, and an overseer to protect them from each other.

Troops!

Infantry platoons: they work fine just say away from lots of heavy weapons (Las cannons, plasma guns, ect.)

Command squads: a must have list wise and just a another level you can fit hybrids into.

Infantry Squads: regular infantry converted to the cause.

Special weapons squads: Demo charge, some melta guns/flames = Suicide squad.

Heavy weapons squad: Not very culty at all. if you do want some stay away from Lascannons.

Conscripts: ... Can anyone say mob? :D

Veterans: Veterans of the cause! Stay away from grenadiers, and embrace Forward sentries, and Demolitions.

Penal Legion Troops: Last stop today, but one of the best! Penal troops make the best hybrids, even if they are a bit random. Either they'll be...

Gunslingers, :( Not the best but! 3-4 Arms = Extra gun!
Psychopaths... Yay!
Knife Fighters which gives them rending, Yes I said Rending!

Chimera: The Chimera and it's chassis are a cults friend. produced on many planets they are very easy to come across, parts a (more a less) easy to come by and easy to repair. The Chimera will make appearances in and large cult, and they can represent heavily armed and armored civilian trucks. (for trucks try to stay away from dozer blades.)

Fast attack

Rough Riders: These Calvary have had there riders (Maybe even steeds!) infected by genestealers. They'll lend a hand where they can.

Sentinels: Scout Sentinels make the most sense for any cult, but a couple armored aren't completely out of the question. (perhaps the crews just added extra plates of armor.) I'd still say las cannons are bit over the top, and plasma cannons are still far too complex.

Hell Hounds/Bane Wolfs: At first glace it seems they who probably be a no-no, but many local military/police (particularly in Hives) forces have water tanks to subdue riots. it wouldn't take much to re-engineer one for fuel or chemicals(Tyranid acids/ Virus''?). Devil Dogs wouldn't make many appearances in a cult.

Valkries/ Vendettas: If a cult got a hold of these space craft they sure wouldn't use them in combat.

Heavy Support

Leman Russ: While not as numerous as the chimera the Leman russ is common enough to show up in any cult that has gained support in the military.

Stick with Battlecannons, Exterminators, Demolisers, and maybe Eradicators. Punishers maybe. but Vanquishers, and Executioners are out of the question as they are too tightly controlled.

Hydra Flak Tanks: The hydra has complicated controls and is beyond the abilities of most cults.

Ordnance Batterys: Griffions are a definite yes, cheap and poorly controlled (for IG standards). Basilisks also a yes, but they would be much harder to attain. Medusas if your cult was lucky and managed to get one, that would probably be it, and Colossus' (Colossi?) are not only rare but tightly controlled. As well there constantly being shipped to new battlegrounds, so your cult wouldn't be able to keep hold of any.

Manticore Rocket Launchers and Deathstrike Missiles: Even if your cult found some of these weapons, good luck finding re-fills.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Termagant: A stock character, replaceable.

Last edited by withteeth on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:52 am 
Hydraphant

Thats a good overlook!

Very helpfull!
But what about tanks?

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:20 pm 
Hive Tyrant

I couldn't make my self stay up to finish it. :P I'll update it later today :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:34 pm 
Genestealer

Oooh, very nice. Please continue.

@Hydra: Tanks could just be stolen ones, but I'd stay away from the more advanced ones (IE Plasma spamming leman russes).

Look At My Tyranids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:22 pm 
Hive Tyrant

There's The Fast attack/ heavy update. I may look at the special character further and how to load up your sergeants, to represent hybrids ;), but until then :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:47 am 
Medium One

I was thinking of something along similar lines.

For rough riders, simply 'nid up a few dark elf cold ones and stick some guardsmen/hybrids on their back.