Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Genestealer Purestrains.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:59 am 
The Red Terror

This is just a simple yes or no question, but I always get confused about the Genestealer reproduction explanations, so if someone would like to explain it that would be cool.

anyway, the original question is

"Do Purestrain Genestealers retain some of the traits of their original host species?"

Because if that is the case, Genestealers we receive in box sets are in fact human-based Genestealers correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:29 am 
Doom of Malan'tai

Umm, well, it says genestealers vary depending on the host. But I always took that to mean uber stealers are from Meq's and regular stealers are from Geq's and scuttling stealers are from Eldar and Dark Eldar. But that's just the way I think about it.

Post subject: Re: Genestealer Purestrains.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:40 pm 
Great Devourer

Hive Node wrote:
This is just a simple yes or no question, but I always get confused about the Genestealer reproduction explanations, so if someone would like to explain it that would be cool.

anyway, the original question is

"Do Purestrain Genestealers retain some of the traits of their original host species?"

Because if that is the case, Genestealers we receive in box sets are in fact human-based Genestealers correct?

In the past 4th generation, purii or purestrains were considered to be perfect genestealers in their 'native' state. It was only the first three generations and the magus that had hints of the host species. However the genestealers thrived on the moons of Ymgarl. This was due to a native species the csith, a kind a giant slug(? I can't find a reference for this, can anyone back me up or shoot me down?). The 1st generation offspring from these infected creatures were always purii/purestrains. That is why the magos biologis thought the two species had evolved together naturally in the Ymgarl system.

But when our patron saints Jes Goodwyn and Phil Kelly were doing the design work for the 4th edition (current) codex they took a slightly different tack. Jes redesigned the genestealers to look somewhere between a giant 3rd/4th edition gaunt and a human. And Phil dropped the hint in the codex "genestealers show some occasional mutability depending on the host species." I reckon that was to explain bio-morphs. But for me it is not a particularly satisfying explanation. I can't see how a different host species could result on mutations like feeder tendrils, scything talons, acid maw, flesh hooks or implant attacks. Those are pure tyranid traits. And toxin sacs are even harder, as they are an entirely separate tyranid creature that lives in symbiosis with the genestealer.

So yes. They new genestealers are meant to be at least part human.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:20 pm 
Little One

Attached to the Genestealers after they rejoin the Hive Fleet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:06 pm 
Great Devourer

David the Despoiler wrote:
Attached to the Genestealers after they rejoin the Hive Fleet?

Good thinking. :wink: But no. Genestealer cults are consumed along with everything else on the target planet. It is a tough life in the cult!

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:55 pm 
The Red Terror

Okay, so to implement this.

As I have said before, I was thinking of doing a Tau-based Genestealer cult. Would my Genestealers have Tau traits like, elongated legs, hooves, etc (similar to NAVARRO's)?

Or should my Purestrain s stay how they are right out of the box?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:33 pm 
Little One

That's an interesting thought. I guess they would have Tau traits. But there would still be the "perfect" 3rd gen stealers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:42 am 
Broodlord

Yaleling: yes, I remember the slug things (Csith, you are correct) but I don't remember where I read it either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:03 am 
Big One

Yes they would keep the traits of the host species up to the 4th generation, the offspring of the 4th will be a purestrain.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Genestealer

Here is an example of a Ork 1st generation Hybrid
[Open in new window]

In the old fluff they can and have infected any species even animals, GW never made any other hybrids but the humans and the one Ork but the fluff talks about them infecting the Eldar as well. The purestrain however will be exactly like they are now, they will not have the traits of the host species it is only the hybrids that do.

Now in tighter races such as the Eldar and Tau I think it would be hard for a cult to grow, they would be seen much easier then if they were to infect on a hive world but I could see them taking over a small out post or a remote location.