Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Warhammer World Tyranid GT3 2k list
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:32 am 
Little One

I'm off to Warhammer World in Feb for GT3 I've debated taking my nids or my Dark Angels and it came down to nids. I've no expectations on winning/placing but painting wise the nids stand out more, they've been nominated for best army 3 times and won once. So I've filled my list with units I like and things that are cool and different but I don't know which is the best Hive Fleet Adaptation to take and although I've got a neat split between two battalions I want a mono hive fleet just because they're all painted the same and I want no issues on the day.

Here's the list:

**Battalion 1**
**HQ**

Hive Tyrant, with Adrenal Glands and Toxin Sacs 2 x Devourers with Brainleech Worms, Monstrous Rending Claws, Wings & Pincer tail

Broodlord

**Troops**

17 x Genestealers with Rending Claws & Scything Talons [4 x Acid Maws],

3 x Ripper Swarm,

3 x Ripper Swarm

**Heavy Support**

Trygon with Adrenal Glands, Bio-electric Pulse, Toxinspike 3 x Massive Scything Talons

**Battalion 2**
**HQ**

Malanthrope
Tervigon with Toxin Sacs

**Troops**

25 x Termagants – 15 x Devourers & 10 Fleshborers,

25 x Termagants – 25 Fleshborers,

3 x Tyranid Warriors with Scything Talons – 1 x Barbed Strangler, 2 x Deathspitter

**Elites**

4 x Hive Guard

**Heavy Support**

Trygon with Adrenal Glands, Bio-electric Pulse, Toxinspike 3 x Massive Scything Talons

**Fortification**

Skyshield Landing Pad

Plan is deepstrike the Trygon's with the Genestealers and the Devgaunt Termagants. Hive Tyrant also bobs in. Rippers held back for objective scoring

Everything else deploys, where possible the Tervigon tries to advance to where it might add it's buffs to the Devgaunts tunneling in with the Broodlord and Malanthrope going with it to catch up with the Stealers and provide 'cover'.

The Skyshield is there because it looks cool and folk might waste shots on it, it's pretty naff this edition but as I say looks cool so has to stay. Warriors and Fleshborer gaunts might live on it with the Hive Guard hiding underneath, out of sight.

I've an alternate list that swaps out the Malanthrope, a Hive Guard and a Fleshborer Gaunt and gets me a twin of the flyrant. So I've lost the back/mid field cover buff from the Mal and the high strength shots from the Hive Guard. Instead I get redundancy on my existing Flyrant, more mobile synapse. Lots of low AP shots and extra psychic abilities.

I was thinking Kraken and give the Tervigon Chameleonic Mutation to keep it alive a bit longer but use one of the Flyrants as a warlord so that I can use Alien Cunning to help with my Tactical Reserve situation - 14 units and 8 need to be in reserve...

Post subject: Re: Warhammer World Tyranid GT3 2k list
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:21 am 
Big One

Here is a thought.

If you make the list Jormanger or however its spelled, you get the +1 cover save which is nice, but you could drop 2 trygons and add some raveners instead. Then have the genestealers/devilgants pop out from their tunnel using the stratagem. Using the extra saved points you could up the unit of devilgants to 30 I think and the hive guard to 6. Both a full unit of devilgants or a full unit of hive guard are just epic if you use the stratagem on them to let them fire twice. They either murder all chaff (gants) or wreck a few vehicles (hive guard).

Just a thought!

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 am 
Little One

Cheers, unfortunately I don't have any Raveners, 4 Hive Guard max and 20 Devgaunts max. I could add more Devgaunts to their Brood but I was thinking the Fleshborer bodies would be more useful to allow for the re-roll to 1's, and give me something to re-spawn should the Tervigon get to them, which if I use Metabolic Overdrive I can almost guarantee it can catch up.

Any thoughts on which is better - twin Flyrants or Flyrant+Malanthrope+extra Hive Guard?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:04 pm 
Big One

Dwez wrote:
Cheers, unfortunately I don't have any Raveners, 4 Hive Guard max and 20 Devgaunts max. I could add more Devgaunts to their Brood but I was thinking the Fleshborer bodies would be more useful to allow for the re-roll to 1's, and give me something to re-spawn should the Tervigon get to them, which if I use Metabolic Overdrive I can almost guarantee it can catch up.

Any thoughts on which is better - twin Flyrants or Flyrant+Malanthrope+extra Hive Guard?

I think Devilgaunts still get the re-roll, do they not?

Not sure what you mean about the 2nd part? I only see 1 one flyrant, so do you mean to drop some hive guard/malantrope to take a 2nd? In which case I would say no, both Malanthropes and Hive guard are amazing in this edition.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 am 
Little One

xsquidz wrote:
Dwez wrote:

I think Devilgaunts still get the re-roll, do they not?

Not sure what you mean about the 2nd part? I only see 1 one flyrant, so do you mean to drop some hive guard/malantrope to take a 2nd? In which case I would say no, both Malanthropes and Hive guard are amazing in this edition.

The Devgaunts do get the rerolls: I could have 20 Devgaunts giving me 60 shots but just one casualty and I lose it. 15 Devgaunts and 10 Feleshborers gives me 55 shots and 10 models I can sacrifice and potentially recover with the Tervigon. Of course if they're coming up with the Trygon there's little chance they're going to be wounded before they get to shoot but I'm hoping there will be sufficent target priority concerns with all these things arriving that they may survive beyond their first turn. Essentially I'm trying to balance a one turn 60 shots over 2-3 turns 55 shots with redundancy.

Yes I had an alternative list that I was leaning towards that would remove the Malanthrope and a single Hive Guard to replace them with a second Flyrant. The extra mobility and psychic powers were looking much more of an advantage and bringing in two Flyrants, two Trygons and the Stealers and Termagants looked overwhelming for any counter-attack. Something was likely to survive. Whereas getting that Malanthrope to where the bulk of my army was looks like a challenge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:51 am 
Big One

Hive guard are pretty epic right now. I don't know if I would make any list that didn't include 4-6 of them.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:48 am 
Biotitan

I agree you should go with Jormungandr. It'll benefit you the most given the list you have, though models on the fortification won't benefit from it.