Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: It's game time
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:37 am 
Big One

Ok so this weekend I have a game at a game shop I just started visiting against a opponent I have never played or met and the only thing I Know about his army is "Emperor's Children". Unless this is a ultramarine chapter I never heard of, it leaves possibility of a combination of opponents. I'm placing my money it's a Papa Smurf list.

Ok so the game is 2k and I wanted to bring my best and utility's.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [111 PL, 1871pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Discipline: Hive Mind

Hive Fleet: Kraken

Power: Smite

+ HQ +

Old One Eye [10 PL, 200pts]: Monstrous Scything Talons

The Swarmlord [15 PL, 300pts]

+ Troops +

Hormagaunts [9 PL, 125pts]: 25x Hormagaunt

Hormagaunts [9 PL, 130pts]: 26x Hormagaunt

Termagants [9 PL, 88pts]: 22x Termagant (Fleshborer)

Termagants [9 PL, 88pts]: 22x Termagant (Fleshborer)

+ Elites +

Deathleaper [5 PL, 90pts]: Rending Claws

Lictor [2 PL, 45pts]: Flesh Hooks, Rending Claws

Lictor [2 PL, 45pts]: Flesh Hooks, Rending Claws

+ Heavy Support +

Carnifexes [12 PL, 186pts]
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Bio-plasma, Bone Mace
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Bio-plasma, Bone Mace

Exocrine [11 PL, 216pts]

+ Flyer +

Harpy [9 PL, 179pts]: 2x Stranglethorn Cannon, Stinger Salvo

Harpy [9 PL, 179pts]: 2x Stranglethorn Cannon, Stinger Salvo

++ Fortification Network (Tyranids) [7 PL, 129pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Hive Fleet: Kraken

+ Fortification +

Sporocyst [7 PL, 129pts]: 5x Barbed Strangler

++ Total: [118 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

So the idea I came up with is using kraken adaption for a early game mobility. Sporocycst and harpies are going to start with spore mines and maybe do some damage, exocrine will be lobbing shots center feild trying to prioritize mech and terminators. The carnifex are support for OOE who should be Overkill in combination. I took a odd number of Gant and gaunts because the values evened out and still gave me 4x troops. Hopefully I can pair one shooting troop with it's melee counter part to over whelm infantry trying to push in. The lictor's are intended to work as a team and regain some extra command points as they hunt characters, so intentionally I'm expecting to leave them in reserve's until a couple of units are weak enough for them to clean up. And ofcourse Swarm Lord himself, in true battle for steel ridge fashion, is primarily bait and to manipulate gaunts/Gant into positions ideal for isolating his characters.

Yes I did take inspiration from the fluff but it all, in theory, works. I wanted kraken for it's mobility since it's mostly a foot slogging list. But can't help but wonder if the full blown behemoth list would be better just for it's strategem <brute Force>. I intend to burn most of my command points turns one and two for Early board control.

Thoughts ideas schemes?

Post subject: Re: It's game time
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 pm 
Biotitan

As an Emperor's Children player, here's what to expect:
  • Sonic Weaponry that ignore cover
  • Noise Marines that can shoot after they're killed
  • Always Fight First in close combat
  • Psychic access to cancelling invul saves (Death Hex)
  • Access to other Chaos Space Marine goodies (not blue smurfs)

As for your list, I don't think you're capitalizing on the Kraken adaptation with this list. Nothing has Adrenal Glands, which is virtually mandatory when you can reliably add 5+" from your Advance roll. You're better off sacrificing one of the Termagant units for points to AG up the Hormagaunts for maximum footspeed. As for the other Termagant unit, its size is too large for a unit that isn't receiving replenishment support from a Tervigon; you're better off cutting down its size to be a backfield objective squatter while the rest of your army is menacing the frontlines. I personally would fit in a unit of Genestealers due to the coupling of Kraken with Hive Commander as that's a guided missile coming from nowhere, especially when you have two Harpies bullrushing at the lines with 30" charges apiece; Onslaught one of them after it advances while the Swarmlord Hive Commanders the Genestealers.

Your Fex choices are built like Screamer-Killers without the bonuses. I don't believe losing 6" and 1 worse AP (from -4 to -3) on the bio-plasmic shooting is a positive sacrifice for the sake of Bone Maces. You're better off fielding Screamer-Killers with Spore Cysts to protect them from shooting as they advance up the field. I recently played with two Screamer-Killers outfitted as described with OOE support. From first-hand experience they can lay down a significant bit of damage while discouraging shooting at them due to the -1 to hit penalty in shooting.

If you're interested in Spore Mine support, I think replacing the second Harpy with a full brood of Biovores is the way to go. Your opponent is going to be so preoccupied dealing with two Fexes, the Swarmlord, OOE, Lictors, a Harpy and Hormagaunts while being bombarded by an Exocrine that the last thing he'll worry himself with is the Biovore bombing. Anytime you can get in Mortal Wounds with minimal effort is a boon. Much easier to trigger than orienting your Harpies to fly over units to make use of its Spore Mine ability.

Post subject: Re: It's game time
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:01 am 
Big One

The biovores I'm limited to just 2 models at the time. Proxy from a harpie to a crone is one thing but a biovoreis a bit more distinctive. But otherwise I'm going to have a a revamp with your suggestions. Think the carnifex aren't screamer killers was a points cost so a little shuffling should fix. And I know kraken benefits from AG alot but I tend to think it's wasted after the initial turn. Once everything is literally within 12" of everything seems like the mobility is wasted. I favor kraken for it's re charge bonus. Hence the Gant/gaunt combo. Can't shoot during fall back but a nearby unit can.