Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First thoughts with genestealer cult
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:54 am 
Big One

I am thinking of taking the cult in a CAD to support my nids. The 2nd option is doing the same but taking the whole cult to take advantage of some of thier special rules.

Take the following CAD:
1 Patriarch Ghosar
1 Magus Orthan Trysst
12 Favoured Disciples
12 Favoured Disciples

Both the 2 HQ's are Lv2 with telepathy, so that is 4 rolls for invisibility or shrouding. I plan to join both of them to the formation that combines a hive tyrant to 2 units of gargoyles. That gives them stealth and hit and run as well. It also gives them another stronger character that can do challenges in the broodlord (if you want to protect the hive tyrant or need him to kill something else) or the weaker psyker can also accept a challenge and while he will get murdered it could save the hive tyrant.

Here is the list I am thinking, this is for pure power and tournaments.
1500 Nids-Leviathan and Gene Cult
Leviathan formation
HQ 1 Hive Tyrant-Wings and 2 Devourers 230
1 Hive Tyrant-Wings and 2 Devourers 230

T 10 Termagants 40
1 Mucolid 15
1 Mucolid 15
1 Mucolid 15

Form 1 Flyrant Maw Claws + Reaper 255
10 Gargoyles 60
10 Gargoyles 60

Genestealer Cult CAD
HQ 1 Patriarch Ghosar 115
1 Magus Orthan Trysst 65
Troops 12 Favourer Disciples 85
12 Favourer Disciples 85

Models 63 Total Points 1500

OR

1500 Nids-CADand Gene Cult
CAD
HQ 1 Hive Tyrant-Wings and 2 Devourers 230

T 1 Mucolid 15
1 Mucolid 15
1 Mucolid 15

Genestealer Cult Formation 600
HQ 1 Patriarch Ghosar
HQ 1 Magus Orthan Trysst
HQ 1 Primus Vorgan Trysst
Elite 4 Brothers Aberrant
Elite 2 Purestrain Princlings
Troops 12 Favourer Disciples
Troops 16 Faithful Throng

Form 1 Flyrant Maw Claws + Reaper 255
10 Gargoyles 60
10 Gargoyles 60

Models 63 Total Points 1480

Thoughts? I have done extremely well with lists similar to this but I wanted to add the cult to help out the big main beat stick unit.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

Post subject: Re: First thoughts with genestealer cult
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:56 pm 
Big One

So I had my first game against the dreaded necrons using the 2nd list-so full genestealer cult.

His list was very strong with 3*6 tomb blades (with ignores cover), 10 warriors in a ghost ark*2, another 16 warriors, some immortals and 11 flayed ones. We had 5 objectives, 2 on each side and 1 in the middle.

I went first and got lucky and got both shrouding and invisibility on my main unit and 2 catalysts. With 5 lv 2 pyskers I was able to get off a lot of powers and the main beatstick gargoyle unit with the hive tyrant was join by all 3 IC's from the cult. That gave them hit and run, stealth, zealot (to reroll to hit on turn 1) and through powers they had shrouding, invisibility and FNP for most of the game... needless to say that unit was virtually unbeatable and just decimated everything it touched. 2 of the cult IC's are AP3 and the other is AP4 so that is pretty awesome actually and it means not just the hive tyrant is doing the damage. The giant footprint of the gargoyle unit means this unit can almost always get into CC on turn 2 and I multi assaulted 2 units, I even failed a 6 inch charge on them on turn 2 and I had failed invisibility so they took a pounding that round but they still had stealth, shrouding and FNP so I only lost like 8 gargoyles and 2 wounds off the tyrant.

Other highlights were the 2 genestealers just infiltrated onto an objective and held it all game, but for 30 points that is great-however against someone with say a thunderfire cannon I would go for a first turn charge. The whole cult having infiltrate/stealth was great because the cult has bad saves, mostly 5+ so I tried to stay near ruins. I was not able to pull off any first turn charges and the 4 brothers died early without doing anything but they absorbed some shots and an overwatch. The 12 favored disciples made short work of a necron warrior squad (even with me rolling terribly on the first assault turn) but then were relegated to hold an objective after that but that was also critical and being fearless with the broodlord alive they couldn't be shot off the objective, even with the ignores cover of the tomb blades. The favored throng didn't do much but they aren't great vs necron decurion with a 4+ followed by a 4+. But they sat on an objective in a ruin and with stealth/fearless it took a lot of firepower to knock them off with all 16 that helped some of my other units last longer.

It ended on turn 5 and he was luckily able to tie the primary but I had all 3 secondarys and he had just line breaker. If it had gone to 6 he would have been tabled besides the flayed ones.

Very happy for the first showing of the Genestealer cult. My next game is Friday vs a different necron opponent heh.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:53 am 
Great Devourer

Yay for a solid first outing! :D

xsquidz wrote:
...highlights were the 2 genestealers just infiltrated onto an objective and held it all game, but for 30 points that is great-however against someone with say a thunderfire cannon I would go for a first turn charge.
Be careful of those d3 automatic flamer hits on just 2 models. They hurt.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:45 am 
Big One

Great to hear that your first game worked out that well.
Its quite a nasty combination, with those flyrants.

hrld

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:44 am 
Big One

Overwatch is a huge threat to those 2 genestealers. I was afraid to assault the tomb blades (or the squad of 16 warriors) on turn 1 because I figured the overwatch would kill them. If you want them to survive you need to put the broodlord with them... but then he will probably die the next turn. I figure for the 30 points the best use is to hold an objective or assault something super weak like artillery or a transport (for first blood).

The combo with the flyrants is great because they can go and deal with priority targets. Its also more chances for catalyst and paroxysm (which I did have and is amazing). Then near the end I landed both of them to be 2 more CC and objective contesting/stealing threats.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:32 pm 
Big One

I realized that I can't have the cult join the Tyrant with the gargoyles because the IC rules say they can't join a unit that has any vehicles or MC's in it... so even tho the tyurant can join the gargoyles, the IC's can't join them. That was a big downer. However I still took this list to a quasi doubles tournament and did pretty well. I am hoping to write up a basic battle report tonight.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:36 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

Has it been houseruled in your area that the GSC is battle brothers with nids?

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:13 am 
Big One

vonny wrote:
Has it been houseruled in your area that the GSC is battle brothers with nids?

Until the FAQ they are battle brothers as per the white dwarf. The white dwarf says they ally just like nids (which are BB with each other) and that nids finally have true allies.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!